My little Grampian

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

My little Grampian

Post by grampianman »

I certainly feel very humbled by the submissions of the various Triton owners, but still I am proud of my Grampian. This photo is one of the best I have of the before. It's very much like an aging actress in soft focus.

Cheers all,
Ian
Last edited by grampianman on Wed May 11, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I certainly feel very humbled by the submissions of the various Triton owners...
Don't.

You have a great boat. And what a gorgeous spot to park a boat!

-Britton
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Thanks Britton,

Post by grampianman »

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, the river can be very pretty at times.
I'm going to include a couple of early photos of my boat. Reminder of how far I've come.

Cheers,
Ian

This is the galley showing the water damaged wood. Port side.

Here is the water-logged balsa core. UGH!

I laugh when I see all the gallon jugs! Water for hurricane preparedness.

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Great to see the "before" and "during" s

Post by Rachel »

Hey, you have come a ways! I love that second shot with the deck all neatly cut and the rotten balsa just *ready* to scoop out of there.

Would you mind giving a few details on your shelter? What brand, how has it held up, etc.

I wonder if one could get away with putting up one of those in a boat yard?...

Looks like a great little boat :-)

--- R.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Boat shelter

Post by grampianman »

Hello Rachel,
I started with a K-mart special - $150 and added 3 feet of 1 1/2" PVC pipe to each leg so the peak of the cover would stand about 12 feet when finished. The outside diameter of the PVC pipe was exactly the inside dia. of the metal pipe so I just drilled a hole through both and inserted a bolt to hold everything together.

This photo sort of shows the legs. I have just got another shelter off of a friend which I will be adding one section (7 feet) to the end of my existing one. This will protect the stern of the boat with the approaching rainy season. Of course, this will be the time that I do all exterior sanding and painting! My friend also had sides which he has also passed on to me. The reason for his munificence is the high winds from hurricane Jeanne played kite with his boat shelter.

My shelter has held up very well over the course of the past year. There is some mildewing of the canopy, but it's great at keeping sun and rain off of the work. I consider this money well spent.

Cheers,
Ian