New to me Alberg 30 #329

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

New to me Alberg 30 #329

Post by Surveyor »

I'm baaaaack! Literally to the board and home from Saudi Arabia. Most of you probably do not remember but I was in the middle of a purchase of a Triton back in November when I had to suddenly leave for SA. I had to back out of the purchase and was forced to leave a few other things hanging as well. It was a real experience over there and something I will never forget but I missed home.....and an occasional beer.

Anyway, within a week of being back I purchased this little beauty. I havent actually taken possession yet but that will happen next week. It is in really good shape and has been well taken care of. It has a full set of 7 sails all in very good condition and the Atomic 4 purrs like a kitten. There is one small area (8"x 12"+-) on the starboard side deck that is soft and all of the cockpit sole is spongy. Besides those areas the decks are solid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61726857@N ... 368137637/

That link should lead to a set of pictures of my new toy.

Future plans include a full refit with an emphasis on strength and simplicity. I will however sail her the way she sits for about 6 months in order to determine what is needed. Anyway, enjoy the pictures!
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: New to me Alberg 30 #329

Post by Duncan »

Hey, nice boat, nice photos, welcome back. Looks like a Triton on steroids ;)
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

Thanks Duncan!

I took possession today. I forgot my phone and camera unfortunately. There is alot of wood that needs immediate attention so I might take a week off to take care of that, pull the motor and clean up in about a month.

I am super excited to finally have title in hand, the boat in my marina and nearly ready to begin work on it.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Surveyor wrote:I took possession today. I forgot my phone and camera unfortunately. .
Totally unforgivable!!!!! Tim, throw this guy out ;>)

Nice boat, have fun with the projects.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

222 more pictures I took yesterday detailing in minutiae the bits of the boat. I completely sounded the decks (my knees are killing me) and could not find any suspect delamination in the decks except the cockpit sole just as the seller said. There are cracks here and there though. The hatch is a problem though. It is just sitting on its tracks with nothing under the metal sliders attached to the boat.

Interesting pictures for those that like this sort of thing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1020217641 ... directlink

todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by todd gustafson »

Congrats......... I think you were the one asking about the teak work..... Any decisions on the road you will take? The teak looks in mint natural condition.

Good luck
Todd
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by preserved_killick »

Fantastic! As a fellow Alberg 30 owner I love seeing pictures of other A30's.

I'm sure you must know about the Alberg 30 mailing list?

http://www.alberg30.org/lists/

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

todd gustafson wrote:Congrats......... I think you were the one asking about the teak work..... Any decisions on the road you will take? The teak looks in mint natural condition.

Good luck
Todd
Todd, yeah that was me and I am leaving the teak "au naturel". Some of it is coming apart though.
preserved_killick wrote:Fantastic! As a fellow Alberg 30 owner I love seeing pictures of other A30's.

I'm sure you must know about the Alberg 30 mailing list?

http://www.alberg30.org/lists/

-jeff
I knew of the site but for some reason I thought it was dead. Thanks for the tip. I looked at a few threads and immediately realized what a tremendous resource it is!