Palmer Johnson Alberg 35

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
truehand
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Zeelandia
Boat Type: Palmer Johnson Alberg 35

Palmer Johnson Alberg 35

Post by truehand »

Hi, I purchased this Alberg 35 recently and I will be bringing her home to Toronto this spring. She's lying is Charlevoix, MI. right now in storage, where she has sat for the last 14 years.
Evidently, this 1964 Alberg 35 had a complete rebuild in the mid 80's at the Palmer Johnson boat yard.
A bit about me.. over the past twenty years I've gone from a windsurfer to a Mirror dinghy, to a Beneteau First 235 and now this Alberg 35. I wanted to find a boat that could handle extended cruising and I fell in love with those classic Alberg lines so, here I am, at the beginning of a whole new chapter! quite excited.
Dave.

~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
http://www.truehand.com/blog
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Palmer Johnson Alberg 35

Post by earlylight »

Welcome aboard! She is a gorgeous vessel and she looks to be in bristol condition. Looking forward to more pics when you have a chance :-)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Dave, and thanks for posting photos of your Alberg 35. Cool looking re-design/re-fit!

It looks like Palmer Johnson took a "dinette" layout (dinette to port, galley linearly to starboard across, and quarterberths running under the cockpit P & S) and made it into a dinette with settee across and then galley aft. That could be a really nice arrangement.

It looks like, among other things, they added a foot or so to the aft end of the cabin(?). I would love to see a bit more on how they handled the details of that. Like many people, I have occasionally wished I could stretch or change things about a given boat :) But then there are always so many "if I do this, great; but then that...." So I'd love to see how that all works. How did they handle the transition on the overhead, in the cockpit, etc. Does it affect your ability to go forward? (i.e. if a dodger extends further aft do the decks get too narrow or winches get in the way, etc. I take it they moved the engine aft and made it a v-drive? I guess that would have to be done to make more cabin room for the new galley. Very interesting.

On the bowsprit rigging, I had a question when I saw this sketch you posted in the dodger thread. As I understood you, this is a sketch Palmer Johnson made up for the work they did on your boat.

What caught my eye was the bowsprit, and especially the bobstay. In my non-rigger mind, couldn't see how that shallow angle would work to counteract the force of the forestay without a dolphin striker in there to change it. So that has me curious to learn more about it (in other words, I'm not presuming to know more about rigging than Palmer Johnson!).

Feel free to post more photos!

Now, because I used to be a librarian, and so I like my databases, I want to ask if your boat is Pearson Alberg 35 that had a re-fit/re-design/rebuild at Palmer Johnson, or was it originally built by them? If it was built originally by Pearson maybe it would be nice to have a reference to them here for future searchers (if you don't mind).

Must see more! :D

Rachel
Last edited by Rachel on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by todd gustafson »

A real beauty, congrats........ i saw it for sale a few weeks ago and have been following it........ i knew it wouldn't last long......

Todd
truehand

Post by truehand »

Thanks, Todd and Rick!
I had been searching for an Alberg - Pearson - Cape Dory - Southern cross - Bristol etc. since the fall and viewed several in my area. Through some kind of serendipity, I became really interested in a Pearson 35 on Beaver Island and the surveyor I sent to look at it was from Charlevoix. He told me of this Palmer Johnson Alberg and highly recommended I take a look. I drove 10 hours (each way) to view it but had only 2 hours to look her over before signing the papers. Now I'm just waiting for winter to end so I can go back!

Rachel,
I purchased the boat through a broker, the owner is down in florida and I won't be able to chat with him more until spring. I have the thick binder from Palmer Johnson documenting the rebuild. It was in their yard for three years and was stripped to the bare hull. Yes the cabin was stretched aft to where the bridge deck ends. The PO mentioned that the sprit usually would have a dolphin "catcher" (as he called it) but Palmer Johnson did it this way and yes, you're right, who are we to argue!? :)

I'll put some more pics and info up when I get a chance later today, I'm off to rebuild docks at our club. For now, you can see some more info I posted here: truehand.com/blog

cheers,
dave
Last edited by truehand on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Augh, the wait for spring must be killing you! Thank goodness for digital photographs :)

Congrats on your new boat! (Sorry, I got so interested in the mods that I forgot my manners in my last post. Geez.)

Rachel

PS: While looking around I found references that mentioned Aeromarine in Sausalito also built some Alberg 35's (presumably similar to how they built Tritons). I had never heard that before (I had heard about the Ericsons that supposedly used the same mold, but then they are somewhat more different). I wonder (if or) how many Aeromarine Alberg 35's were built?
truehand

Post by truehand »

My mistake, Rachel, I missed your post at first glance and replied to Todd only..

She's an Alberg 35 but Palmer Johnson re-branded her a "Palmer Johnson Alberg 35
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well I also now realize that if you've only been aboard for two hours, you may not (yet) know every last small detail (i.e. some of my design questions). It's just so darned interesting to see what they've done!

I'll certainly look forward to hearing more :)
Vark
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aria
Boat Type: 1960 Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Vark »

One very beautiful yacht, congratulations !
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Rachel, good eyes to details (of course, I already knew that)! The Palmer Johnson remod appears to be very extensive. The extension of the cabin house is most interesting. A few years ago I was thinking of doing something similar to that (see this thread) but I had no clue as to the impact it would have on everything else. Looks like Palmer Johnson had to relocate the engine and turned it into a v-drive. The companion way is now moved aft about 1 foot and offset to starboard side to accommodate the galley sink.

More pictures please, Dave!
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Triton106 wrote: The companion way is now moved aft about 1 foot and offset to starboard side to accommodate the galley sink.
Although, just a note, I think the companionway on the Alberg 35 is normally offset to starboard. That's not to minimize the extent of the mods, of course.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

The companionway is offset to starboard.

I saw that boat show up on one of my searches.

Really amazing work done to it.

That interior is amazing!!!

I love my A35 and I am sure you will enjoy sailing it!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
truehand

Post by truehand »

Great to hear, Ric! I've been reading your blog for some time now..

yes, the companionway is in the same position, offset to starboard. One of the advantages of the cabin extension is that it allows for a big hatch just forward of the seahood.

Here's 10 pages from the project binder. Apparently, circa 1982, a company was formed called Trident Marine Modifications Inc. TMMI
They were going to rebuild older boats for chartering. This particular Alberg 35 was the "pilot"and was originally slated for a yawl conversion. The yawl conversion, teak dodger and custom rudder and several other smaller mods never came to fruition.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Ric in Richmond

That is like the ultimate to do list for my boat.

It is basically what we believe here...that there aren't better built boats than the classics plastics!!

Where do you plan on keeping her and using her?
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Lovely, lovely boat; congratulations!

D
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Rachel wrote:
Triton106 wrote: The companion way is now moved aft about 1 foot and offset to starboard side to accommodate the galley sink.
Although, just a note, I think the companionway on the Alberg 35 is normally offset to starboard. That's not to minimize the extent of the mods, of course.
Sorry I did not look carefully enough. I just looked at another Alberg 35 that has been beautifully restored last month. I was not sure if the companion way is offset from memory. From the Alberg brochure it did not seem to be.

Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
jetboy52
Boat Name: Miss Nettie
Boat Type: Alberg 37

Post by jetboy52 »

I saw this boat on Yachtworld and would have bought it in 30 seconds had I not already owned an Alberg 37. You are going to love that boat. If I were you I would be seriously considering trucking it to Toronto just to sit in it during March.
truehand

Post by truehand »

Hi Jetboy,
I hear that! I would LOVE to be anywhere near the boat as opposed to 900kms away!
I trucked my last boat up from the States (and it went fairly easily) It was November and I worked, or just sat, on her nearly every day of winter until launch the next spring!
This time around I thought I'd make an "adventure" out of bringing her home.. but it is killing me to have to wait.

my biggest fear is getting the engine going after 14 years.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

truehand,

I just had a look at your website - that is pretty interesting work you do! The "flamed" Maglite made me smile.

I guess you could make a pretty nice boat nameplate (plus other goodies).

Rachel
truehand

Post by truehand »

thanks Rachel!
My mission is to set up a place to do my hand engraving on the Alberg 35.

As far as sailboat stuff goes, I've made some cool mast coins, a few plaques and have hand engraved some bells, oil lamps and trophies.
I also do leatherwork and have done a couple leather log books for myself and friends with custom printed pages on waterproof paper. (I waterproof the leather with mink oil)

Speaking of mast coins, I've always had one under my mast and when I went to view the Palmer Johnson Alberg I noticed right away a silver coin embedded in plastic on the mast step!
Does anyone here have a mast coin?

A couple more pics of the sprit..
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well that seems like one of those tidy occupations (I'm thinking small pieces; small tools/bench) that you could bring aboard.

I was just reading over the Palmer Johnson list and I am curious about a couple of things. I realize you may not have this information right now though - I'm sure you were busy with only two hours to see everything.

Tankage: The spec sheet lists 100 gallons of water; 125 gallons of diesel; and 30 gallons of kerosene. I'm curious where they put the tanks -- sounds like a very comfortable amount for cruising.

And... did they install the Dickerson wood/coal fireplace? I'd love to see that.

On the mast coin: I've never had a keel-stepped mast (not counting my 7' dinghy ;), but when I put a large central wooden structural post in a cabin I rebuilt, I did put a coin under that :)

Rachel
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

I noticed the tankage is well markedd here:

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh, right, I got into the typed list and forgot about that. Sorry! With a bit of squinting I found the 100 gallons of water and 75 (of the 125) of diesel, but not the kerosene. Go easy on me if they are glaringly obvious ;)
truehand

Post by truehand »

The Dickerson heater was not installed but they did install the thru deck fitting for the vent, it's just capped off above and below.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
truehand

Post by truehand »

I don't think the kerosene tank was installed. It has an LPG stove/oven and the tank is in a locker in the aft lazarette.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

I've been looking at the photos you posted under Astigafa. What a beautiful boat, congratulations. It'll be a fine voyage home this spring. Worth the wait for a ride like that. I'm sending your web site to my piper buddies in Minneapolis, bet they already know of you. Lovely workmanship.

Steve
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

truehand wrote:I don't think the kerosene tank was installed. It has an LPG stove/oven and the tank is in a locker in the aft lazarette.
That makes sense. Otherwise I was wondering what (that much) kerosene would be for. When I was living with kerosene lanterns I did think it would be nice to have a dedicated tank with a filler nozzle type thing (like the Pardeys always talked about). Now with LED's I think I would find it less tempting to use as much kerosene lighting, although a lamp or two is still nice.

It's really amazing how much you can fit in the deep bilge of a 35-footer.

I suppose that list might have been something they initially prepared or planned, and then when owners came along (or were already there and gave them feedback) certain things were changed to their tastes or whatever.

Rachel
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by todd gustafson »

I have put coins under all my boats masts every spring as i splash for years and years....... i understand it has to be the same year that the boat was built....is that right?

Todd
truehand

Post by truehand »

very cool Todd, I have always done it as well. I don't consider myself superstitious, per se, just "careful" ;) besides, it's fun.

I think the navy uses coins of the year the ship was built but I believe the tradition comes all the way from the romans who would put a coin in the mouth of the deceased to pay the boatman who ferries the dead across the river styx to hades.. ( http://www.answers.com/topic/coin-under-mast ) So any coin with value should do. Many sailors use coins minted in their own year of birth. I use a coin minted in my fathers year of birth.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Case

Post by Case »

That coin is a Peace Dollar. 90% silver... worth about 30 bucks as of writing.

Not a cheap coin at all!

Most on this forum probably don't follow silver prices but silver has gone from $3 a ounce to $30 in the last decade. Might be a bubble but on the other hand the dollar itself might be getting worthless. For reasons I won't expound further, I'm inclined to believe in the latter.

Anyway, that's real style - a real silver dollar coin instead of say, a penny. The last silver dollar coin was made in 1933...

- Case
truehand

Post by truehand »

Hi Case,

You've got a good eye! It is a 1925 Peace dollar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Dollar
I wonder how it would grade if I could get it out of the plastic? If it's in good shape it could be worth more than it's silver content.
I have a couple kilos of scrap silver here on my bench and I have been watching the spot silver prices carefully! http://silverprice.org/silver-price-history.html

Dave
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Ric in Richmond

The engraving is AMAZING!!!!

Ever get tempted to carve away on a winch or something??

A buddy of mine writes this blog.

http://tfmetalsreport.blogspot.com/2011/02/wow.html

Silver is a fascinating subject and he focuses on the manipulation that is going on in that market.

Makes my head hurt...I'd rather be sailing....soon!!!! supposed to be near 70 in richmond VA this week!!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Case

Post by Case »

Silver is indeed manipulated. So is Gold to a certain point. To purchase gold or silver, you must buy the real thing, not a certificate or a stock. These certificates or stock may become worthless because the amounts exceed the physical by a large amount.

I do have to point this interesting thing... look at the debt of the US (and most countries!). Then look at gold or silver prices. Chart looks almost the same... Because of this reason, I have trouble saying which is in a bubble - gold/silver or debt. And since the debt is so massive... not likely to be paid back. So... people get into silver/gold and avoid dollars that gets worthless. Only time will tell if its the right action or just a replay of 1980.

This is a boating forum so I won't go further about this topic.

As for taking out the silver dollar and seeing how much its worth by condition, I would say just leave it there. Its a cool feature of the boat...

Oh, by the way - I've just realized that if gold suddenly got worthless, it would be great for sailboats. Why? Gold is even heavier than lead and doesn't corrode. Its soft and will absorb impacts well. Much better than lead. It'll be the ultimate ballast material!

- Case
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Spent uranium works well too - and has been used for ballast!

I don't think gold ever has.
mdidriksen
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Calliope Girl
Boat Type: 1971 S&S 34

Post by mdidriksen »

Dave:

That is a beautiful find. Have you contacted Palmer Johnson to see if they have any info on the refit that you don't already have? I have an S&S 34 that was imported by Palmer Johnson and re-branded as a PJ34. When I bought it, I contacted Palmer Johnson and eventually tracked down the current President. His family has been part of the company for a long time (in fact, I have a letter from the late 1970s signed by his father or grandfather, can't remember which, pertaining to my boat). They might have some further info for you.

Best,

MD
truehand

Post by truehand »

Thanks for the kind comments on my engraving, Steve and Ric.

@Case: the coin is neat, but has to go.. I have one to replace it and pay my own way across the river styx!

@MD: That's so cool that you have a "Palmer Johnson S&S 34". does it have a brass plaque by any chance? The broker that sold me the boat contacted Palmer Johnson for info and were told that, since PJ has changed ownership, they couldn't provide much info. I may try myself though, it's a good idea and I would love to clear up some confusion I have from the info I've been given.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
mdidriksen
Boat Name: Calliope Girl
Boat Type: 1971 S&S 34

Post by mdidriksen »

Dave:

No brass plaque for me, but I don't think the interior on my boat is original (and in fact, it could stand to be gutted, but that is for a different post ...).

I would contact Palmer Johnson and see for yourself. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll dig up my records and figure out who I spoke to.

Confusion is probably the norm. The original brochure that PJ put out for the PJ34 claimed it was made by Nautor (although my copy at least has a light strike through of this), and in fact the letter I have from PJ from the late 70s says the same thing. Problem is, that is just not the case. I spoke with Nautor and S&S extensively, and Nautor never made any S&S 34s, and in fact I later acquired copies of the original Lloyds build certificate for my boat showing it was built by Aquafibre (as I had suspected all along). I believe PJ imported three S&S 34s from Aquafibre, and all three are still sailing.

Good luck!

MD
truehand

Post by truehand »

I've been living on the boat in a storage barn for a week now getting her ready and today we launched!
The diesel fired up in about 30 secs of cranking. After 14 years!

Thought Pettit Trinidad in green might look nice

just about to come out of hiding

into the light!

rolling through Charlevoix MI..

stepping the mast

down the ramp

and into her slip for the week

I'm sitting on the boat as I type this post up.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Congrats on the launch!
Surveyor
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Post by Surveyor »

I know you must be really excited! You have a very beautiful and unique boat that I am sure will turn heads. I hope your the blogger type because I would like to follow your adventures. If not, its all good, just let the fun begin! Congrats!
Ric in Richmond

Congratulations!!!! That is awesome...

I am headed down to my A35 to bend on some sails and canvas, do a little scraping and sanding and general tidying. No sailing today :( but maybe tomorrow :)
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Congrats and... AWESOME!!!!!
ILikeRust
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

Damn, that is a gorgeous boat!

Sweet.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Again, congratulations. You must be tickled pink!

Where, near Hogtown, will you be keeping her? (Note to the uninitiated, Montrealers were always dismissive of Toronto; however, it's a pretty wonderful city these days.)
Jeremy
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Windrift
Boat Type: Seafarer (Rhodes) Meridian

Post by Jeremy »

That's a beaut! Congratulations on the launch.
truehand

Post by truehand »

Thanks everyone! I am bursting with a mix of excitement and anxiety...

The journey home to CBYC, Toronto, begins on Sunday, with any luck.
I will try and blog what I can but I'll be paying $2/MB out there so don't expect too much. ;)

The launch went well and I learned pretty darn quick how little steerage she has in reverse under 2kts!! WOW, almost gave me a heart attack as the wind had it's way with me.
I'm back home now getting some work done this week and I'm returning with my crew on Friday. we'll be going out for the first sail/shakedown on Saturday. fingers crossed.
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Ric in Richmond

Little steerage??? How about NO steerage in reverse!!!

You use a little prop walk and also note she will almost always back into the wind too!!

I have made some very odd maneuvers in the fairway as she slips backwards into the wind then with a shot hard forward to rotate the boat and continue in a lazy circle until I can get pointed the way I want to go!!!

Takes some time but if you don't panic you can get it around to where you want it!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

truehand

Post by truehand »

just got in from the 10 day delivery from Charlevoix, MI, to CBYC, Toronto.
It was a looooonnng, cold trip. Mostly motoring because of lack of wind. Lots of rain. Endured a HUGE thunderstorm in the west(shallow) end of lake Erie for about 7 hours. Most frightening, the waves were big and the lightening close, very close! The fog was thick coming into Port Colborne and we almost got ran over right at the entrance. yikes! I was very nervous about the Welland Canal but it turned out to be a breeze. All in all, Moxy did very well. She sails in the big stuff like a dream and she also motored without complaint(for 34 hours straight on Erie!)
I posted some pics on my blog http://www.truehand.com/blog
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
Ric in Richmond

Don't you just love how these Albergs both slice and shoulder aside the water in the breeze and waves?

Did you have much weather helm? I have a fair amount and have to trim sails around it. Wondering if your sprit negates it at all.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

truehand

Post by truehand »

yes, Ric, I am VERY impressed with the way she handled the big square waves on Erie. very comfortable motion considering..
She has some weather helm for sure so I trim for a bit of luff "bubble" on the main and that seems like a fast setting with the least weather helm. I'm sure the sprit helps but I did get a chance to fly the staysail as well and it felt about the same as far as weather helm goes. I didn't get too much sailing in so I'm still feeling it out...
All in all, I can safely say... I'm in love!
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse