International Folkboat #377 Storm Petrel Photo Test

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Blue Moon
Boat Type: International Folkboat #175

International Folkboat #377 Storm Petrel Photo Test

Post by gottord »

I think it worked!! I look forward to catching up on the Forums....I have been away for some time...
...The Peoples Boat...
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Well, you certainly know how to get my attention!
Nice Marieholm 26 ... beautiful!!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Mine too!
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aurora
Boat Type: 1963 Islander 32

Post by Henk »

Lovely lines.
That picture from above is great.
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Thanksgiving On The Bay....

Post by gottord »

Nothing better than a raft up with friends....I would love to connect with more Bay Area sailors who are interested in future raft up excursions...it is a blast....

From Left To Right:

International Folkboat "Storm Petrel"
Crealock 37 "Silent Sun"
Crealock 37 "North"
Van De Stadt 40
...The Peoples Boat...
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Boat Jewelry

Post by gottord »

Functional Boat Jewelry:

...The Peoples Boat...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I really like that dodger; the overall look and especially that wrap-around forward window. It looks so smooth and non-wrinkly. Can you tell/show more about it?

And the whole boat, for that matter :D

Rachel
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

The Folkboat

Post by gottord »

Thanks for all your kind comments...The Dodger was built by a local outfit called Starbuck Canvas....and they make some really high quality Dodgers..I have seen other Folkboats with Starbuck Dodgers on and the design really suits the lines of the boat. I have had Storm Petrel for a little over a year and I am sold on these boats. Although it is a bit cramped down below (it is my home)...the boat makes up for it with ease of sailing. Before owning Storm Petrel I owned a Pearson Ariel named "Che"--While owning the Ariel I had always heard how well "balanced" the Folkboats were...I felt as if the Ariel was well balanced and I still believe them to be balanced boats...but having sailed Storm Petrel a ton this past year....I must say that the Folkboat brings a whole new meaning to the term "Balanced". I can be sailing in 30+ knots with Storm Petrel....we may be heeled over to 25-30 degrees...Full Main + 70% Jib....but she continues going straight (very little side set)....and the tiller has very little weather helm. A very cool design...
...The Peoples Boat...
David

Post by David »

The lack of weather helm is evident in the first photo (the arial shot). Very nicely balanced. She's a lovely boat.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Lovely to see on a dreary Monday in December! Lovely any day.

Did you succumb to Boatpix.com for the aerial? (I did and it's terribly expensive.)

Are you content with your Monitor? (I've not managed to get mine to do anything but frustrate me. Current theory is that the steering is too stiff. I fear that the boat's too squirrelly and may not selfsteer anyway.)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

So you're Che's previous owner! I guess you're "dodger guy," because I really like the unique dodger you made for that boat. I can't wait for the new owner to start doing his projects on her so that I can see more.

Funny, but I had assumed you moved up to a larger boat. I guess all that standing headroom was getting to you ;)

Beautiful boat -- thanks for the dodger info.

Rachel
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Quetzal,

I debated starting a new thread, but since it's really about your boat, I felt that I should leave it up to you (if you want to continue discussing the Monitor, perhaps we could make this post and your last query part of a new "Monitor" thread?)

Anyway, I was just going to say that I've used a Monitor and really liked it. The boat wasn't "squirrely" per se (Baba 30), but I'd read that it was very important to have as little friction in the system as possible, so we worked hard to make it that way. Also (as I'm sure you know), the boat wants to be well balanced before you engage the Monitor?

So when you say the "steering is too stiff" do you mean that the rudder is just hard to move for some reason (i.e. even at anchor), or that you have a lot of "helm," or that there is a lot of friction in lines leading to the Monitor?

One other thing we found indispensable - and that I'm not sure is always rigged up with a Monitor - is the "micro adjustment" line. This was a line that went from a horizontal "wheel" on the monitor to a block we had attached to a stanchion near the helm. An "endless loop" of line on this set-up (picture one of those systems they used in the inner city to put laundry out to dry and then gather it back in) allowed for very fine adjustments to the Monitor by manually moving the wheel in the stanchion block.

Rachel
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Monitor My Co-Pilot

Post by gottord »

I'm definitely game for creating a Monitor Discussion board via this thread if you like..Hi Rachel....I thought that Avatar looked familiar :) Yes...Che is currently up in Northern California on a trailer getting ready for the next voyage up the coast to BC sometime soon..And yes the headroom was getting to me :) I didn't know you had a Baba 30...very cool boat....

That aerial shot was taken from the Golden Gate Bridge as we were sailing out the Gate...So I lucked out and got it for free :)

As far as my experience with the Monitor goes--IT IS MAGICAL!!! I have nothing bad to say...I can understand sailors who go from the Autopilot "straight line" approach to the Monitor approach feeling as if the Monitor is all over the place and out of control...but if your boat is balanced out... and not overpowered...the Monitor will steer and steer and steer....I even tack with mine :) My friend just recently sailed in the Singlehanded Transpac race to Hawaii...and literally set the vane right outside the Golden Gate and had to readjust only a few times before reaching Hanalei....Pretty Cool! I do have an ST 4000 Autopilot that I use for motoring purposes...but if there is wind my Monitor is steering...What sort of problems are you having with your Monitor?

It is great hearing from all of you...I look forward to checking out some of your websites...
...The Peoples Boat...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I just cruised on the Baba 30 - didn't own it (wouldn't have minded, though, as it was neat boat).

On the Monitor subject, I just meant that we should start a new thread on this board, not a whole new board. I was reluctant to start one since it wasn't me asking about it, but it really would be good to have it in a new topic (thread) here.

Rachel
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, coming back in from the cold of the tangent, I'm interested in what led you to go from an Ariel to a Folkboat.

I don't mean to pry, so if it's something too personal, don't feel you have to answer. I'm just curious because they're pretty similar in concept, and, as mentioned, the Folkboat is slightly smaller. So it's not the usual "move up" in size, or the "Okay, it's time for a fast fin-keeler" type of lateral move.

Not that I'm questioning why one would want an International Folkboat -- I mean, just look at them!

Rachel
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Folkboat vs. Ariel

Post by gottord »

Hi Rachel...
During the time I owned and sailed "Che" the Pearson Ariel....I was always interested in the Folkboat and the Contessa 26. There was this old timer at our marina, who had owned his International Folkboat since he purchased it brand new in 1970, that invited me out for a sail on his International Folkboat. Needless to say I was just blown away with how great the boat sailed! It felt like a big solid dingy! Not to say that the Ariel doesn't have that feel...but to me the Folkboat embodies the "little boat that could" spirit. Having sailed both the Folkboat & Ariel Offshore quite a bit...the Folkboat really feels at home out there...where at times the Ariel may have been wondering why I didn't have a Triton out there. So even though the Folkboat interior is much smaller than the Ariel..there are a few qualities that really sold me on the Folkboat over the Ariel:

1) Transom hung rudder! (Solid...Simple...Strong)
2) Fractional Rig provides more control for powering up & down
3) Well over half of the Folkboat's displacement is in the keel
4) Cute-Cozy-Comfortable-Cockpit
5) Folkboat goes to weather really well...It loves it!
6) Proven ocean crosser
7) I was tired of building a boat....with Che I was spending way too much time working on the boat and not sailing...My Folkboat is stock...and we sail all the time...

Having sailed both designs...I do think a major difference between the Ariel & Folkboat is the 1)Ballast--2)Rig--3)Rudder Size & Position...I would really enjoy hearing others take on the two designs...because as you mentioned earlier...they are very similiar...and both great boats!
...The Peoples Boat...
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I'll start a Monitor thread and will copy as much of the current text over as seems easy. There's another WindVane thread but that fellow does not want to use a Monitor due to his perception of the relative costs.

I've always liked the looks of the Folkboat, particularly the earlier lapstraked woodies. I learned about them in the late '50s when they seemed quite common.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

I'll start a Monitor thread and will copy as much of the current text over as seems easy. There's another WindVane thread but that fellow does not want to use a Monitor due to his perception of the relative costs.
Quetzalsailor - if you are referring to my thread on Norvane and South Atlantic please feel free to post opinion on Monitor or other vanes. There are not that many discussions on windvanes on this forum and not that many responses to my question so far. If you are referring to another thread I am sorry to butt in here.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Gottord,

Did you know that you're about to become famous with that first shot? Lookee the cover of the January "Latitude 38" sailing magazine:

Rachel
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Latitude Cover

Post by gottord »

Thanks Rachel...
I just got back into town last night...and was quite surprised when I picked up the Jan 09' Latitude...very cool...the caption reading "Storm Petrel Swoops Out The Gate"...I am looking forward to 09'!!! Happy New Year!!

Storm Petrel Hanging Out In Half Moon Bay...
...The Peoples Boat...
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Brrrrrrrr.....

Post by gottord »

...The Peoples Boat...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Here's what I want to know: How do you live aboard a Folkboat, yet keep both the boat and your dock so clean and clear? Like, where is that coat when you're not wearing to sail on the bay?

Amazing :)

And the problem is, you're ruining my reason for not having one: "Oh, it's a bit tight to live on."

Hee.

R.
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Tiny Folkboat

Post by gottord »

Hi Rachel...

Well as John Vigor put it:

"After nearly 60 years of production and real-life testing, there are no weaknesses left in the Folkboat that are not patently obvious, such as the cramped accommodation quarters. This is a very open, honest boat."

If you have a ton of stuff...living on a Folkboat could be challenging. I have slowly paired down my things...and replaced my 5 different types of jackets with Patagonia's DAS PARKA:

And for the Bay Area...I use this little gem of a Parka all year round! :) So if the "cramped" quarters of a Folkboat are the only thing holding you back...I would say:

*Ebay The Non-Essentials
*Purchase a Folkboat
*Purchase a Das Parka from Patagonia
*Make sure your Folkboat is equipped with a Dodger

And see what all the hype is about! But in all seriousness... the Das Parka is key :)
...The Peoples Boat...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Product placement hits the Plastic Classic Forum.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

Product placement hits the Plastic Classic Forum.
By the way Tim, what is the cost per click for placing such an ad on your site? <smile>
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

www.plasticclassicforum.com ---Powered By Patagonia

Post by gottord »

Hi Tim...
Sorry about the Das Parka plug....I don't know what I was thinking. Now as for posting future pictures of Storm Petrel....what should I do about the enormous sticker they forced me to put up on the bow of my boat? :) Happy New Year! And may the 09' season be a good one for you and the rest of the Plastic Classic Forum crew!

...The Peoples Boat...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

For penance, I think you should have to post four photos of Storm Petrel's cabin. (Plus, I just want to see inside.)

The sticker... LOL

R.
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Storm Petrel Interior

Post by gottord »

More pics to come....Happy Friday!

...The Peoples Boat...
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Triton Yawl--SF Bay

Post by gottord »

Saw a cool Triton Yawl out on the Bay the other day...

Very cool!
...The Peoples Boat...
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Oh, that's Alma, formerly Whisper. Robert Gray did a fantastic job restoring it and sold to Michael Ruiz last year. Here is the link to his website - http://homepage.mac.com/robertthegray/PhotoAlbum3.html.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ooh, Storm Petrel looks great down below!

But.

1) She is way too spare and neat for you to be living aboard. Even with Das Michelin Man jacket allowing you to throw away most of your other clothes ;)

2) What's the thing that looks like a dinghy centerboard on a rope that's on the forward end of the port settee. Something Table-ish?

R.

PS: Robert the Gray did a wonderful job with Whisper -- talk about neat-o down below.
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber

The New Ride---O.L. 33

Post by gottord »

She really moves...