whisper web site

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

whisper web site

Post by Robert The Gray »

hey fellas and fem,

I have just finished loading up my new web site. I have a over view of the work i have done so far. I have posted some of these photos before but now they are all together. Thanks for the inspiration.

http://homepage.mac.com/robertthegray/PhotoAlbum3.html

Robert
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'm not able to enlarge any of the photos, unfortunately, nor can I get the slideshow to work. Any thoughts?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Greg
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Greg »

Tim,

The links and slideshow don't work unless you have Javascript turned on.

- Greg
Robert The Gray

I have a mac. I hope that enables every one to view them. Sorry for the difficulty.

R.
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
kendall
Master Varnisher

works in linux!

Post by kendall »

looks good, plenty of ideas in that boat. any info on the stove? or did I miss that somehow?
Greg
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Greg »

Robert,

Nice job on the renovation. I wouldn't have thought a dinette would work out, but yours looks like it's very usable. Is it fixed, or does it convert back to a settee?

That looks like a good location for the heater - is it working out? Anything you would have done differently on the interior now that it's finished?

- Greg
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The "duh" factor has clicked on.

It was my popup blocker preventing me from seeing the images. All set now.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Robert The Gray

Great questions:

I decided initally that I would never do any serious offshore cruising on whisper. No 5 months living aboard while in Mexico, I feel I am to tall for the boat. I would do that on a 35 footer. The daysailor/overnighter/coastal cruiser, decision determined much of the rest of the design program. I have a small water tank 6 galloms. with any extra water in plastic jugs. I did not install a permanant propane system. For a stove I have both a single burner sea swing stove mounted to the port side aft cabin top. I also have a coleman like two burner camping stove that stores under a panel on the port side of the galley. I can place this outside in the cockpit as well. When at anchor or in port I use the camp stove. When under weigh I use the sea swing. Both use the small none refillable propane bottles. I go through maybe one a year so far.

When designing a dinnette to fit in the triton I realised that there was not enough room for anything approaching 6 feet long, which i feel is a minimum for a sleeping berth and even then I would not be able to use it. I wanted a seperate head compartment and did not want to remove the forward bulkheads. The galley space on a stock triton was one of it's most regretable features, so I felt I had to open that up. so the dinnette is not convertable. It is a rock. It is both be strong enough to take all your weight holding onto it and it will break your ribs if you fall on it. I curved as many edges as I could to help alleviate the tissue damage .

The wood burning stove location works great. I have a battery powered fan that sits up near the top of the flue.When this is on the boat gets well warmed. I also wedged an oven thermometer up there. It is the top of the flue that gets the hottest , not the firebox. I used the bubble wrap as an insulating barrier against the hull over the whole of the interior, all the way down to the bilge. It is not really for ET but it stops any interior condensation and the boat stays quite dry, The bubble wrap is quite inert and light and does not hold water. I also like that it cuts down on some of the sound. I used the strongest spray contact cement and it is holding up well. The dinnete sitting up high also puts me up in the heat. I cannot go barefoot though the cabin sole remains cold. Using fans to distribute the heat is kinda noisy but I grow accustomed to it. we do not get that cold out here any way. I tried to ensure generous fresh air flow so as not to kill myself with carbon monoxide. I do not use it when sleeping. For fuel I use wood, Either one inch thick yard waste, whatever wood is handy. I just cut an old oak futon frame with my sawsall and that should last me for a couple of months. I can store about 4 days worth in the fuel storage bin I built in the head.

I did all the work while the boat was at the dock, hauling the tools and materials on and off the boat each time. Real estate being what it is worth here in the bay area, and the risk of not getting a berth back if I moved out made this decison for me. If I was to do another one along simular lines, it would take half as long. and I would try to find someplace out of the water. even though it was nice to have the boat accessable without a ladder. I suppose I could move to Reno but there is not much water there. and you would have the pesky sierra Neavda mountains between me and the ocean.

Of course every decision on this boat took an agonizingly long amount of time. Several times I over demo'd and had to patch things. very frustrating. I allowed design process to evolve organically, leaving some decisions for later on in the process, but one must also trace the consequences of certain actions. If I do this, what about that. I have good design skills, decent carpentry skills but i am quite unfamiliar with working with epoxy. After watching the process of Tim's daysailor I would approach the second refit a bit differently. the second of a type is always easier because you can see in reality what did work and what didn't work rather than just using the imagination. I did my best with all the construction, not skimping on the quality of the fasteners, thinking that every thing permanantly installed would be for the life of the boat.

I intend to use this boat for 20 or so years. The future projects are adding a mizzen mast and a retractable bowsprit for an assym. spin. The mizzen will be first starting sometime in late feb. I hope. I think yawls are the future of daysaling. So many sails and no mast in the cockpit.
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Thanks for the tour, Robert -
You've got a nice, freewheeling sort of approach to the work. I was also glad to see a .MAC webpage. I've been wanting to set one up and it is good to see a real one in use - gives me an idea of how to get started. Also interesting was your assesment of what your boat use would be and how you let that guide your project. I've got a project in front of me and I anticipate the same sort of use:
I decided initally that I would never do any serious offshore cruising on whisper. No 5 months living aboard while in Mexico, I feel I am to tall for the boat. I would do that on a 35 footer. The daysailor/overnighter/coastal cruiser, decision determined much of the rest of the design program.
Keep going!
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Robert The Gray

MR murphy,

the best way to use the .mac site is to use iphoto. there is a button that lets you publish photos to your website with just one or two clicks.

no problems with losing photos

r.
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms