Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

The photos below were taken of #218 in the Municipal Yacht Harbor in New Orleans yesterday and were just emailed to me. The adjacent boat, an Islander 36, crashed through the finger pier and is invading my slip. The damage, obviously, has come from the contact between the two boats. The idiot that owns the Islander did little to properly secure his boat - despite my invitation to help. He didn't even take his sails off to reduce windage.

Note the fresh "skid" paint, polished portlights with new lexan and the decks prepped for non-skid application. It was so close to being done. Also note the carnage in the background and the odd mast sticking out of the water.

It also looks like I lost at least one cockpit locker lid. The piano hinges were off for painting and replacement and I had them secured with plastic zip ties. Stupid. The bilges are now open - hope those batteries hold up.

- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Invitation
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Invitation »

I must say that your lucky that this is the only damage to your boat which is at least still above the water. Congratulations on keeping your boat in one piece.
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Lucky may not be a strong enough word. These photos are of my pier - the shortest one in the marina.

The water to the right of the pier is shallow and has quite a few large,sunken pieces of concrete. There should never be boats there. Look at the boats on the other side of the sea wall to get an idea of how high the water had to be.

J/30 Rambunctious
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

Your little ship surely has a guardian angel...

A coat of Awlgrip, and you'll be back in action!
John
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Now that boat has the will to live!

Amazing!

Say Jason, do you have any local contacts who could get to your boat to secure it better - or is that impossible? I believe the woman who had the small boat in the inner harbor might be in the area, but I'm not sure; if that is the case I could try to put you in touch though.

--- Rachel

(%$&\*# Islander owner)
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Thanks Rachel, but it's too dangerous. I'm driving back down after Rita does what she does - the Triton will have to hold on until then. Come on batteries!!!
J/30 Rambunctious
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Without minimizing the trauma of the damage you have, I have to say that you ought to consider yourself incredibly fortunate that the damage is that minor, given the severity of the storm. Obviously, you did all the proper storm preparations, and should note with satisfaction how well they worked.

Too bad the other guys didn't. It's tough to deal with damage inflicted as the result of another's lack of preparation (and/or bad luck), but I'd say you came out lucky nonetheless.

Good luck with whatever your next step is!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Warning - longest post ever

Surreal.

While grossly inadequate, that is the only word I can fathom to describe the last 5 days. I was staying in Baltimore, but towards the end of last week I became unbearably anxious to return to New Orleans and assess damage and determine the viability of remaining in this city. I was so eager to get back, particularly after Rita brought 5 feet of water into the lake, that I drove from Baltimore to New Orleans stopping only twice for gas. I drove into Metaire, LA (a New Orleans suburb) across Lake Pontchartrain on the Causeway Bridge. Normally, that drive is highlighted by the brightly lit New Orleans skyline. On Saturday night, the city was completely dark ? nearly a month after Katrina. When I arrived at New Orleans at four in the morning I crashed briefly at my girlfriend's apartment and was heading to the boat before eight.

When I arrived at the Lakefront on the Metairie side of the 17th Street Canal (if that sounds familiar, it?s the spot of one of the major levee breaches). Army Chinook helicopters were flying back and forth transporting huge sandbags trying to fill the breach.

I walked along the top of a pier wall along the 17th Street Canal, sneaking past armed guards, to get into the marina. The pier was gone, as were almost all of the shrimp boats that were normally tied up there. To the left, the row of homes and restaurants was?vanished. Fall off to the right and I?m in the Canal.

I crossed over a damaged footbridge into the marina area.

The scene was one of total devastation. The entire area was swept clean. The restaurants and music clubs were marked only by the pilings they once stood on.

I passed what used to be the New Orleans Power Squadron on my way to the Municipal Yacht Harbor

On my way to the harbor, I passed by overturned trees and boats blown from the marina into the park.

I couldn?t reach my boat by walking out onto my pier because there was a huge pile of boats blocking the way. That pile is shown on an earlier post. Instead, I climbed over the seawall and onto the boom of a sunken Islander 30. The same Islander I and the live-aboard owner drank a beer on the night before while pondering what Katrina would do. From the Islander I climbed onto the flybridge of an old Hatteras and then onto my pier.

Once on the pier I saw the harbor view for the first time in person. It makes your hands shake and your heart pound. This was the marina I?ve been my entire life. I know these boats and their owners. It was unrecognizable. Huge boats were on piers and lying on their sides, many were stacked like toys in piles, masts stuck up through the water, and NOT ONE SINGLE BOAT was undamaged. At least 50% are total losses. Of the remainder, about 45% have major damage. I, incredibly, am in the 5% minority that suffered only cosmetic damages.

The Islander 36 that didn?t want to tie his boat up right is paying dearly for his cavalier dismissal of the power of a Hurricane. His boat has had its bottom torn out by the pier which is holding half submerged with its bow pointed skyward. Its bizarre.

The Triton was holding on with one line. I tied it up with four lines leading bow and stern and four springs. The only one holding was the portside bow line. The Islander was responsible for the starboard aft and spring lines. I pulled the starboard bow line from the water and this is what I found:

That?s the dock cleat. Notice the rotten screws. Is that how this marina is put together?

Photo below shows the snapped port stern line:

Good news once aboard the Triton ? the cockpit locker lid that had blown off was lying on the cockpit sole. I resecured the Triton as best I could, which wasn?t very well. I ended up with port side lines only ? bow, stern, and spring. I did my best to keep it off the Islander. I?ll go back this weekend and move it one slip over. My neighbor?s Chaparral is holed and on top of a couple sailboats about 30 yards away.

After leaving my boat I went to check out what was left of the Yacht Clubs. Southern is a burned out shell. New Orleans, to which I?m a member, is a wreck, but can be fixed up. Here are a couple shots.

I could go into great details about the condition of homes that, like mine, were submerged. The mess is unbelievable. Refridgerators?unspeakable. But this is a boating forum. I?ll say only that it is impossible to conceive ? whole areas are gone. My entire neighborhood will, according to some, be condemned. St. Bernard, another New Orleans subdivision, is effectively gone and with it the homes of 80,000 people. It staggers the imagination.

Last edited by Jason K on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J/30 Rambunctious
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Wow.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

!

Thanks for taking the time to share that. Even seeing the devastation, it boggles the mind.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Jason -

So glad that everything is mostly OK with her!

Talked to my uncle who lived in Waveland tonight - they lost *everything* except what they've managed to scrounge since the storm from the pile that used to be their house. They are fortunate in that they've found a townhome up north a bit (other side of lake P) to live in, and at a very good price, especially considering the current shortage of said.

There's an Islander 36 right across from me here at the marina, looks exactly like the one in your pics, and it too has an absentee owner who doesn't seem concerned with how others boats may fair if his lets loose in a storm. If his boat did to mine what that guys did to yours, he would come back to find the charred remnants of his hull resting on the bottom.

Again, I'm relieved and glad that #218 has faired as well as she has.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Hey Kurt,

I'm sorry to hear about your friends from the coast. I've been over there to help friends and family and to see what's left of our weekend home in the Pass (the foundation, by the way). It, as you know, cannot be appreciated unless you see it with your own eyes.

I finally got back Wedneday (the first day they'ld let anyone into the neighborhood) to my house in Lakeview in New Orleans. Not to make light of other people's losses, but I would honestly rather the house had blown away. It filled with water to the attic and it is a total loss. It looks like someone detonated a bomb on the inside, filled it with mud, and shook it violently. And the mold...... I couldn't salvage a single thing.

I'm moving to Baltimore for the foreseeable future.

In regards to my Islander neighbor - the bottom of his boat is ripped out. Burning the thing might only make it easier to salvage and he'll be getting no help from me. I'm still, boat-wise, incredibly fortunate though. Thanks for your post.
J/30 Rambunctious
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I was just looking at your photos - again. Devastating. Glad she's still afloat, though.

Looks like she was a Michigan boat at some point. I'll bet she's experiencing a bit of culture shock.

David
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Thanks David -

She's scheduled for haulout November 12 - new awlgrip (Flag blue) and new bottom paint. Plus new nonskid, freshly varnished woodwork, new winches, and new running rigging. I just ordered a few hundred dollars worth of sandpaper and two new DA sanders. It'll be a whirlwind of fiberglass dust and new paint.

I can't wait.
Looks like she was a Michigan boat at some point. I'll bet she's experiencing a bit of culture shock
Well..... those registration numbers are from the PO (2 back). Among other things, he put treadmaster squares at the base of the mast, applied deck paint with (I think) an old rag and no surface prep, and applied nonskid to most surfaces (including the stanchion bases). This was in, uh, Mississippi. You know - MS.
J/30 Rambunctious
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

#218 wrote:Well..... those registration numbers are from the PO (2 back). This was in, uh, Mississippi. You know - MS.
I'm a moron. While gazing at the Alberg 30 in my driveway I noticed that Michigan's registration abbreviation is MC. What a dork! Since Ariel, our CD36, is documented we don't have state registration and I had completely forgotten about the MC for MI thing.

What's that about the self and always having something to laugh at...?
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

I'll be in the corner with you. I've just done some digging and, interestingly, the boat registration prefixes do not correspond with the postal state abbreviations we are all familiar with. Mississippi is indeed "MI" for boats. Massachusetts has the prefix "MS" and Michigan is "MC", as you pointed out.
J/30 Rambunctious
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

Jason,

I'm glad to here she is still afloat. Tritons are tough little boats, and with just a little luck, can seemingly, survive almost anything. Keep us advised of her condition, and your efforts with her.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position