Ahem, Britton...

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Ahem, Britton...

Post by dasein668 »

I know you don't have steady internet access, but come on man! We're dyin' to see Prudence afloat!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I second that. See, all that impatience waiting for Nathan's (and others') photos is coming back to haunt you now, Britton!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I can see that I will never go hungry with you guys around to keep making me eat my own words time and again...

The library won't allow me to upload photos. That is my official excuse. I didn't have time for cosmetics this year. That is the real excuse. I should be in range of your cameras in another week or so anyway so I have no doubt my battle scarred Triton will be splashed all over this forum before I get back and have a chance to defend my actions.

If you have any imagination, picture this...

A late model Triton. That shouldn't be too hard.

With a faded "seafoam green" (or seasick green) gelcoat. That might be tough on the digestion but well within your imaginative abilities.

A few scars scattered along the hull and a couple of new red streaks caused by my great-grandfather's aluminum skiff banging the hull when I wasn't looking. So far okay.

The decks are crazed white gelcoat with the same green non-skid - mostly. There are areas of spilled expoxy (most mixing was done on board as the whole project was done "on-site". A bucket of acetone that was used for cleaning up an epoxy project spilled over the forecabin leaving a brownish stain/streak. Samples of white Brightsides cover areas of the deck where I re-cored (gotta get some UV protection on the epoxy after all). The new chimney didn't arrive yet so I just put a layer of raw biax over the hole in the cabin top. The worn/rotted/fissured toe-rail is mostly sanded and oiled but the oil has been mostly washed out with the spring rains. Most of the teak was varnished but needs some serious touch-up work now that the parts have been re-installed.

In contrast I have an almost new green dodger and sail cover and I fly a new Triton burgee from the starboard spreader halyard.

It really has to be seen to be believed. I am stocking the v-berth with paint and varnish supplies for those slow days so maybe things will look better before you take your pictures.

Oh, and the interior took four hours and three sheets of plywood to construct. I have two settees, a galley/navigater's station, a head (bucket in a box structure) and some storage in the old hanging locker. The electrical panel is a piece of scrap plywood that I hung up with drywall screws. Amazingly that one day electrical project set me up with navigation lights (no steaming light or mast lights though) GPS, Depthsounder, Solar array, Handheld radio charger and a common 12v cigarette lighter fitting.

Once the boat hit the water I also slipped into my "sea gypsy" clothes (floppy paint splattered hat, rolled up carharts, holy tee-shirt, cheap sunglasses) so between me and the boat, the entire ocean front community has taken a turn for the worse.

See you on the water :-)

-Britton