Shroud line and boom crutch questions

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Shroud line and boom crutch questions

Post by One Way David »

I have some questions, if anybody cares to comment, regarding this boat in Sailing, June 2011, pg 51.

1. What is the purpose of the inter-shroud lines on this pic. The white line weaving between, I think an upper and lower shroud. Old rigs had something similar to assist climbing the shrouds, but this doesn't look like that.

2. Is that boom crutch a common way to park the boom?

Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Shroud line and boom crutch questions

Post by Skipper599 »

Other than a deterrant to "stuff" getting caught between the shrouds, i have no other idea. - - - As for the boom crutch, this is most common on smaller boats. I had such a crutch on my "Cygnus" day-sailer, also on my "Shark" - both boats were designed by Geo. Hinterhoeller. It does the job and worked well.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Skipper599 wrote:Other than a deterrant to "stuff" getting caught between the shrouds, i have no other idea.
This is all I can think of, but not so sure what would get caught there.

Lots of older boats used boom crotches. Almost all Concordias have gallows or boom crotches. Sometimes the crotch is located at the aft end of the house where is can be better supported and out of the way.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
One Way David

Post by One Way David »

Bob and Dave, thanks for the reply. I had thought of a stuff-getting-caught preventer, but I just don't have the experience to know. I've never caught my genoa there but, again... I still wonder about climbing. It looks like it would be painful.

I have seen many variations of the boom gallows but this looked like a neat idea. I think these boats are 30-40'. This looks small, simple, removable (albeit something else to stow) and manageable by one person.

Dave.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Dave, if you look at the boat behind your featured vessel, you'll see another common boom support, that being 'crossed poles' - - - even more stuff to stow!

With regard to your original question, my wife who is usually very practical but laso has a bit of an artistic streak suggests the simple reason "decoration" - - - who knows, she may be right.

Oh to be able to own and afford such a lovely day-sailer. btw, what make/class is that beautiful boat in your photo and where is that location?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

If the boat is rigged with a spinnaker (and I do see a track on the front of the mast), the lines might help keep the chute from getting tangled up between the shrouds on hoists and drops.
One Way David

Post by One Way David »

Bob, Brodie, thanks.

This and others are R-class wooden boats featured in the ASA Sailing magazine mentioned above. N. Herreshoff developed the rules along the line of J-class. The boat I show is Lady Van. Links to 3 current R-class boats.

Detailed restoration site;
http://www.r-boat.org/
Includes the original architects drawings;
http://www.r-boat-aloha.ca/
The lightest and fastest, so far;
http://www.ladyvan.com/

No smurf to Bob's wife, but I'm gonna go with Brodie on this. Lady Van was rebuilt to maximize it's racing capabilities so I doubt that decoration would be that elaborate. Does look cool though.

Brodie, if it had been a snake, I'd be bit. I did not even see that crutch in the background. When hauling my boat I use an ugly pine crutch to hold the mast and was surprised to see that one would be used as a routine.

Dave.