Name that sail

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Rick
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Name that sail

Post by Rick »

Hi all -

My project A21 came with 5 sails: a main, jib, 2 small jibs, and a fifth sail that has me stumped. It's not triangular - with 4 sides. The longest is 33'8", what I think is the foot (based on two sets of reef lines) is 22', the other side has two legs, the upper is 19' and the lower is 15'. Here are some pics:

Is this an asymetrical spinnaker? - It's made of regular sailcloth, not nylon or some other light material.

Finally, I'm installing the hardware on the deck, so how do I rig this sail?

Thanks.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Name that sail

Post by Hirilondë »

Only 1 photo seems to work, and it is only a partial. Are those grommets along the 2 sides showing in the picture? I am thinking it is some kind of staysail.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Dave - I went back and reposted the pics, so I hope you can see them. Please let me know if you can't.

There are grommets on all sides except the longest 33'8" side, which has grommets at the corners and one at each reef.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Looks like you have gaff-headed mainsail that doesn't belong with your boat.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rick

Post by Rick »

That makes me feel better. I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I was hoping it was a genoa or a spinnaker, but it didn't make any sense.
Rick
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Maybe you'll find the boat it belongs to buried in a side locker or something ;)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Rachel -
I've gutted my boat, so if it was there, it's at the dump now!
Rick
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I vote with Tim: gaff headed sail out of something else. Is there anything about it that you didn't confess? Like all the sails have the same appearance and manufacturers' mark? We'd have to consider eating some crow and scratching heads further.

Such sails make outstanding back yard or work place canopies! They look so much more boatey than Despot tarps. They are not flat so are much more likely to be unruly.

Or, make a gaff.
Rick

Post by Rick »

No name, number, manufacturer, ... on the sail. All the other sales that came with the boat were stuffed in the same sailbag, so maybe this one was stuffed in there by accident. The guy who gave me the boat had 3 others and had to get rid of this one. I'll try to find him and see if it's one of his sails.
Rick