Autohelm

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
SeaDog
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Autohelm

Post by SeaDog »

I'm exploring the idea of putting an autohelm on my Sea Sprite 34. Any recommendations? The boat gets used 80% of the time as a day sailor and 20% as a coastal cruiser. I've also been upgrading other various systems on the boat so that she will be very capable of offshore passages in the future. I think I prefer not to have the wheel belt system but I could be open to the idea if others feel strongly about that arrangement. She gets sailed in relatively large waves and 20+ knots on a fairly regular basis. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!!
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Autohelm

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I have an St4000 Tiller pilot on my Alberg 35 and love it. It is probably on the verge of being too small but works well in most situations.

It really simplifies my day as I can realistically run the boat alone (or with a crew of non sailors) with the help of the AH. Kind of gimmicky but fun to use auto tack to let me handle the sheets and auto tack steer the boat through 100 degrees (you can adjust the degrees of turn).

Integrates with my Garmin GPS and handles all the track functions and reads NMEA sentences from the GPS to function as an instrument display.

Once I add a wind sensor it will steer by apparent wind.

It will not steer well in following seas, but I am not sure any of them do.

Main thing is to get the boat balanced with the sails and the AP (and skipper) will be happiest.

This one popped up on craigslist and may work for a wheel, it is a size larger than my boats!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/1321486003.html
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Post by tpl »

1. recommend Simrad over Autohelm: better water seals,
better support/service

2. recommend windvane device over anything electrical,
especially when sailing in wind/seas
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I installed the unit that's for sale on Craigslist on Weatherbird, and was very pleased. The only visible bit of the installation is the control head, which can be put anywhere, so you don't clutter up your classic boat with more plastic parts than necessary. You don't have to manually throw a clutch as you do with the wheel pilots - the clutch engages automatically for you. It gives you a backup steering device should any part of your wheel system fail - it acts directly on the quadrant or even on it's own tiller arm, if you'd rather not drill a hole through the quadrant. I found that it handled Weatherbird (16K lbs. unloaded, attached rudder on a pretty short CCA "full" keel) in everything I dared try it in - we were out in 35-40 knots and beam/quartering seas once and I didn't try, unfortunately, it would have been interesting. But certainly in up to 30 knots it handled the boat without problems. And like all of the new autopilots, it can talk with the rest of your electronics, so it can steer by your wind instruments or follow a track from your GPS. And quiet - you can hear it if you try, but it's mostly unnoticeable.

I'm probably going to install another one on Luna - although she's tiller steered, her rudder post is exposed under the cockpit seats so I can attach a tiller arm and hook one up. I'd be tempted by the one in VA, but I've sworn that I'll hold off on electronics for at least another year and a half. And they have come out with a better version, but of course it's more money...

I love the Sea Sprite 34, by the way - she's a gorgeous boat!

Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted.

Oh - if you are considering wind vanes, I think the best one is the Cape Horn. Different operating parameters than an electric autopilot, since they don't work to a compass course or particularly well under power, but for silent powerless operation and ocean passages they can't be beat.

Cheers,

Chris
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

I have an ancient Autohelm tiller arm autopilot. It has to be at least 20 years old. (Don't know the exact model #. In it's day it was the most powerful tiller autopilot available). I had a 33' trimaran at the time. But I now use it on my 33' monohull. It still works as new. It does draw a lot of power so it's best to have some serious batteries. (which I don't have). This one only sails to a compass course. I always wanted to purchase the apparent wind indicator accessory but never did. There is a 'seastate' adjustment but it actually adjusts itself to certain sea conditions and compensates pretty well to a certain point. When your going off the wind, and the seas get too big (over 3') it just gives up and the little indicator light just starts blinking. When this happens it's not particular about what point of sail it leaves you on. If your heading downwind on the verge of a gybe, this could be a bit dicey if your not paying attention. This is where the apparant wind indicator thing would be really helpful and a lot safer I think. Still, it's one of coolest gadgets I've ever bought. I was told that the mechanism was based on one used for a car windshield wiper.??

rb
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aurora
Boat Type: 1963 Islander 32

Post by Henk »

On our 32' Islander we use the Simrad Tp32 tillerpilot. Works very well, I would not do without one. Most of the time I'm by myself and 'Simbad' as I call it is the one at the helm. Only going in and out of the marina or through a narrow passage will I hand steer. The only time I have a problem is when I'm close hauled and pinching. It's just too slow to react. Broad reaching can be difficult if the wind comes in strong puffs.
Here's a link to a youtube video I posted a few days ago. Simbad the tillerpilot is at the helm all the time. 11 hours nonstop. I'm busy filming and trying not to get seasick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxUOnwsDaA
The 'sea state' setting is set at automatic and the gain is at 9, it's highest setting. Running downwind in these conditions is about all I can ask for from Simbad. We yaw a lot but Simbad keeps up. Just.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

Those Islander 32's are such great boats. A man down the street from me owns one and he's the ORIGINAL owner. In his late 80's now. He claims to have sailed over the world in his. The engine hasn't worked in years so he just sails in and out of his slip! (not so often any more but I saw him do it once last year).
Henk wrote:On our 32' Islander we use the Simrad Tp32 tillerpilot. Works very well, I would not do without one. Most of the time I'm by myself and 'Simbad' as I call it is the one at the helm. Only going in and out of the marina or through a narrow passage will I hand steer. The only time I have a problem is when I'm close hauled and pinching. It's just too slow to react. Broad reaching can be difficult if the wind comes in strong puffs.
Here's a link to a youtube video I posted a few days ago. Simbad the tillerpilot is at the helm all the time. 11 hours nonstop. I'm busy filming and trying not to get seasick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxUOnwsDaA
The 'sea state' setting is set at automatic and the gain is at 9, it's highest setting. Running downwind in these conditions is about all I can ask for from Simbad. We yaw a lot but Simbad keeps up. Just.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

We have 9 seasons an an Autohelm ST4000 wheel pilot.

Post by Tom Young »

We used an oversized tillerpilot on our last boat for a decade or so and used is alot coastal sailing on the east coast. An AP is very important to us, I can't imagine too much time without one.

The ST4000 is a bit small for our 38' 15,000# yawl, but it does what we need. I don't think it would be worth it to install an under deck for how we use our boat, still mostly coastal cruising.

It's held up pretty well with only one breakage due to a nephew climbing on it. I was able to repair it, good thing, they're outdated and parts are not available anymore. I figure it will die in the next few years and I'll buy the current wheel pilot.

It sails the boat quite well in most conditions and of course motoring. Adjusting the gain and speed often helps with different conditions. Our boat has an easy helm which helps too. Of course in some conditions, down wind and seas, it can't do it. But if we're on a long leg, say crossing the Gulf of Maine overnight, I've been able to find sail combinations and headings that work hour after hour.

Getting the boat sailing well enough for the pilot to function makes for a better sail for all onboard anyway.