Splicing Nuts

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Splicing Nuts

Post by Bluenose »

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I had never seem them before and I stumbled on to their website by accident while I was looking for some splicing supplies.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

My slip neighbor uses them. I'm skeptical, however. My own splices are at least as strong, if not stronger and look a lot sleeker than these. Plus, I have something to do during the week when I'm watching TV. Splicing doesn't intimidate me like it used to-- before I started doing it enough to get some practice!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Not I, but then I don't splice either- I tie my halyards to the shackles using a Buntline Hitch. That way when the halyard wears a bit I can cut off 6 inches and retie. Plus the hitch stops the halyard from jamming in the sheaves.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

I wrote an article about them for the May/June 2006 issue of Good Old Boat. I also used one as part of a Cunningham. They're about as strong as a bowline and, depending on your taste, perhaps a bit neater. Tim doesn't like them.
Al Lorman
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think if I'd wanted to comment here I probably would have.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Al

Post by Al »

I saved you the trouble.
Al Lorman
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

I have been planning all along to splice and whip my own lines but I was just a bit curious when I stumble across these. Actually todays clouds and rain will be just the ticket to get me to order my line and dust off my splicing kit and "refresh" my memory. I always seem to dread the first couple splices but then I get the hang of it.
suntreader

Post by suntreader »

I had only spliced three-strand before. I had to put together some new sheets and halyards for the Flying Scot and needed to splice double braid in 1/4" and 5/16".

I used this guy's "professional" method:

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/pro_splice.html

First one took some work but the second one took only a few minutes and then I was trying to find more splices to make!

The only concern I have is that one leg of the splice only has the cover, no core. In basic double braid polyester the core and the cover each take half the load. In an eye splice each leg takes half the load so having only half the strength on one leg means the splice is only as strong as the line (or somewhat less because of bends and damage to the strands from the splice.) The line has a SWL of something like a thousand pounds and its just used as halyards and sheets on a 19' boat so I'm not worried about the ultimate strength of the splice. The only tools were a role of tape, knife, a piece of stiff wire cut off a tomato cage, and a clamp.

Are people so averse to knots, bends, hitches, and splices that that they really buy those little plastic doo-hickies in the marine catalogs? Seriously any of those methods cost nothing, look good, are well proven, and won't knock you out if a flogging sheet hits your head. Just make the splice it will make you feel like a real sailor.

Dave
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Are people so averse to knots, bends, hitches, and splices that that they really buy those little plastic doo-hickies in the marine catalogs? Seriously any of those methods cost nothing, look good, are well proven, and won't knock you out if a flogging sheet hits your head. Just make the splice it will make you feel like a real sailor.
I image the answer to your question must be yes or there wouldn't be any market. I completely agree with you view on splicing. I get a satisfied feeling when I see the splices that I made for my boat. That said, I feel that there are some advantage to a fairly streamlined mechanical splice. The first is that as the line near the splice wears out it would be quite easy to cut the line and redo the mechanical fitting. It can be very tough to re-splice old line. I also feel that knots can, in some uses, be a bit bulky and interfere with running lines. Anyway that is why this application piqued my curiosity. Although "knot" enough to change my methods.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Bluenose wrote:
Are people so averse to knots, bends, hitches, and splices that that they really buy those little plastic doo-hickies in the marine catalogs?
I image the answer to your question must be yes or there wouldn't be any market.
Just because someone invents a product doesn't mean there's a market for it, per se. It does mean someone thought they had a better way and convinced someone to make it (or set that up themselves), but how many "trick" inventions really make it in the end?

Inventions to satisfy humans' inherent laziness will continue to abound, and people will continue to buy them. The late night infomercials ought to support that notion.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Al

Post by Al »

Actually, it was originally invented so GI's could tie down their tents in the field. Apparenlty we don't teach GI's to tie knots.
Al Lorman
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

As an ex-marine friend of mine is fond of repeating:

If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Al wrote:Actually, it was originally invented so GI's could tie down their tents in the field.
Oh boy, one more piece to keep track of when you're trying to get a tent set up, probably in the dark or rain...