Mounting Radar on swing out mount

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Scout

Mounting Radar on swing out mount

Post by Scout »

I was just about to order the bracket from West Marine, but then I read the one review they had up there....so before I reluctantly hit the buy it button, I thought I'd put it out here.

Does anyone know of any other sources of such an animal? I have googled and googles and rally can't find anything that might work.

Our one issue is that the general area where this will be mounted is near a compass so it needs to be able to keep it's distance from that. If I could remember the name of the compass, I'd look it up to see what clearance they recommend but I can't remember right now...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That review is completely at odds with my own experience with the two aluminum swing mounts that I've been using for years. The reviewer sounds like a bit of a dub who perhaps has a bone to pick for other reasons. Does he know "lefty-loosey, righty-tightey, I wonder?

I love mine, and unless something's changed with how they're built, I'd highly recommend these. There really aren't any other commercially-available options. As I've said before, I cannot and will not defend the absurd pricing on these items, but despite that I've found them to be of high quality and more attractive than most home-built options might be--and therefore worth the price, at least on some level.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Despite the insane pricing, I like mine. I'm not sure what he's talking about with the bolt?maybe the design has changed?but my mount is tapped and the bolt threads through plus has a nut on top. There's no way mine could fall off.

Here's the review in question.

Here's a picture of my mount. I just have the "Basic" one.

Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I just got mine in the mail last week. Although I have not installed it, it is solidly built and looks well engineered. I would not put too much stock in that West Marine customer review. If you don't like it, you can always return it.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by AJ »

I've never seen one of these in person, but I've come across this site and have been considering ordering one of the swing arms they advertise:

http://www.gpscity.com/marine-gps/f=109+swing+arms

AJ
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

My inlaws have a couple of those RAM mounts on the Nonsuch they are boat-sitting. They seem well made, but unless you need the additional articulation, I think they're a little bit of overkill, and the plain swing-arm types are a little easier to use for something that you are going to swing in and out alot.

The RAMs are really good for something that needs a nice mount that might want to be articulated out an odd angle, but isn't going to move alot, like on a steering pedestal.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Thanks all. I ordered it yestserday. It seems to be the only game in town and I figured we could just modify it, if needed.

Good to know it's worked out for you all.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

I just read the review and it seems diametrically opposed to my experience with this product. I installed the small/medium unit on KAHOLEE years ago to hold my Garmin 120 GPS. The unit has never needed to be tightened even in fairly rough seas. I was so happy with the unit I purchased the large one to mount my Raymarine RL80CRC Plus display. This unit is fairly heavy and fairly expensive so if I did not have faith in the mount I would not have purchased the second one. I think it will serve you well and you will be completely happy with it.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position