Triton Furler Advice

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Triton Furler Advice

Post by Triton 185 »

I?m looking for some advice on what size of furlers to use on my 28' Triton. This boat has a 40? bowsprit and will have two units. I have purchased a Schaefer 1100 (stem) and 2100 (sprit), but I am thinking about not using the 2100 as it may be too large and heavier than required. Would it be better to use two Schaefer 1100?s so that they are both identical, or should I switch the stem to a 750, or is my original thinking make sense?

Thanks for all your replies and input.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The 2100 is supreme overkill, and seems like it'd be ridiculously large--inconveniently and awkardly so. Overkill and upsizing only goes so far. I think your idea of returning that unit is a good one.

The 1100 is overkill in its own right, since the 750 would be more than adequate for the small headsails on a Triton. So I'd suggest the 1100 for the larger sail, and, depending on the size of the inner sail, possibly a 750 in that location.

Using two 1100s would be a simple and easy choice too, and is probably what I would do. The 1100 is a great unit.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating