buying new sails

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

MikeD wrote:Hardware 101 questions:
1. What's wrong with plain old hardware store stainless fasteners?
1. Nothing, at least not necessarily. The typical fasteners found at most decent hardware stores (not the big boxes) tend to be National Fastener brand (in a blue and silver box), and these are declared as 304 SS alloy. 304 is acceptable, but not quite as corrosion resistant as 316. If the display or box doesn't declare a specific alloy, I'd be wary. I've never bought fasteners for a boat at a big-box store, and don't plan to ever start. I usually mail-order everything anyway, from sources that have quality fasteners.

Note that the 304SS fasteners that come from Bolt Depot are National Brand. I've used these plenty. You don't strictly need 316SS for all your fasteners, but it's the premium choice if you can.
MikeD wrote:2. What about the cheaper zinc plated fasteners? I'm guessing they corrode a lot faster than stainless?
2. Don't you dare ever use a zinc-plated fastener on your boat. They'll rust in a single season.

Zinc-plated is a very different animal from hot-dipped galvanized, which one could argue might have a place on board in certain instances. Don't ever call zinc-plated "galvanized"; they're not galvanized, they're simply zinc-plated. The two processes are completely different, and offer completely different results. Keep the zinc plated fasteners for interior home use only.

Hot-dipped galvanized fasteners have been used in boat construction for a long time, particularly in working boats, mainly for cost reasons. They have an industrial look, and aren't as durable as stainless. The galvanizing process tends to leave lumps of the dull-gray zinc material in the threads and heads of fasteners. HD Galvanized fittings and fasteners have often been used for wooden boat fastening, and galvanized rigging wire is relatively common on "traditional" or working-type boats.

For certain uses on certain boats, hot-dipped galvanized material might be perfectly adequate, though if the coating becomes compromised (easy to do) the rust will set in rather quickly. But since most of your typical deck hardware is going to be stainless steel or bronze, it's best to stick with a similar metal for your fasteners.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Tim wrote:Don't you dare ever use a zinc-plated fastener on your boat.
Yes Suh! :)

As always, thanks for the informative replies, guys. Not to worry, no "zinc plated" fasteners have been used. Although I DID use hardware store (not big box) stainless fasteners this weekend...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

In my mind, the only thing worse that zinc-plated fastners is BRASS fastners. I tried to remove a few of these on my boats over the years, only to have the heads pop off and leave the rest of the very pink-colored screw embedded. Brass has zinc (and copper) in it (so does some bronze types only less of it), and the zinc is the first to go in a marine environment, thus the pink copper is the only thing that is left.

I don't think the big box stores even carry stainless fastners. The local ACE here isn't too bad for 304 which I will use in a pinch when I can't wait for my weekly M-C order.

So how DID we get on the subject of fastners in a thread about sails? Oh, yeah, the track.

Just for relevance, Gregg, when you are installing the new track and drilling new holes. DO NOT be tempted to fasten the track on both ends to get the bend and then drill the rest of the holes. They won't line up. You will have to pick an end and go one hole at a time. Luckly you've already got some holes from the old one drilled. Like I said earlier, at least you aren't installing stainless track!
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Back on Track, er topic

Post by rshowarth »

I just received a voice mail. My new Main is ready for pick up.

Can't wait.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

new sails

Post by jollyboat »

Greg I am pretty sure the ship with yours sails finally arrived - good sailing, incidently you might ask Scott for a price on a furler - sailmakers sell furlers too (big surprise) or at least we do - if Scott doesn't want to play for some reason give me a call.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

I'll get my sails this Wednesday!

Spent the weekend installing the roller furling. A BIG thanks to everyone, and especially Tim, for all the encouragement and instructions. I wouldn't have done it myself without this site. The only hiccup was shearing the tap tool white installing a halyard restrainer 32' up. At least the only thing that made a splash was broken tool. I have to laugh because a mask and fins were part of my install kit. If I dropped it, and needed it, I was prepared to get it back from the 47 degree water.

Didn't get to the longer tracks, but I'll do that this weekend. I figure the Roller Furler MUST be there for the new sail, but with the short tracks I just wont have the best sail shape possible.

Pics soon to follow....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Here are some pics of all the furler installation fun....

tomorrow, new sails....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Can't wait for the weekend.....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Looking good, Greg - congrats on the new sails and hardware.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Greg,
Looks like you are in for a wonderful sail.

Cheers!
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Over the weekend I installed the new headsail tracks. I was able to get the required bend without any prebend, and now have all the sheeting angle options I could want. I reinstalled teak panels removed to access the track through bolts, rebedding stanchions as I went, and reconnecting and organizing the wire runs for the stereo and VHF which also had to be removed for the project. Then, all the tools were removed from their various hiding places they found over the last two weeks (it is amazing how easily you can loose a tool in a small boat). Finally........

She sails like a new boat! Crisp tacks, higher pointing, the speed we were getting from the light breeze we had, all in all... simply a different experience!

The roller furling was a dream, no more wrestling a headsail, or sliding around on it once it is on the foredeck.

So at the end of this thread, I am a believer.... There is nothing as gratifying as a new set of sails!
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

After all the work, cleaning up and finally getting to use your new sails, Priceless . . .
Congrats !
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Grats Gregg! After you have enjoyed them a while fill me in on how you like your loose footed main.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

One of the scariest and most satisfying realizations about brand new sails was when we got the new main for our first boat, the Sea Sprite. We were tacking through the mooring field and at the last minute I decided to duck a moored boat versus sailing above it and couldn't fall off. As soon as I released the main sheet, the boat spun. That had never happened to me before. New sails are a HUGE difference. One you will enjoy.

Cheers!
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Another boat sailing near me had that same problem several years ago, but wasn't able to fall off in time. He had an old sail.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I hope you exacted suitable revenge on that extremely careless and thoughtless person...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, I think he provided brownies and rum to the highly distraught careless and thoughtless person...
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

FORUM FOUL!
Unprovoked use of graphic violent imagery. Bad forum owner! Bad!
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Ouch that hurts. It is bad enough when it happens to an old POS boat. I am with (Tim) Correction MIKE on this one. That picture is visual abuse.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.