Refigeration

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Refigeration

Post by JonnyBoats »

I am starting to look into refigeration for my LeComte Northeast 38 sloop. I am installing a new 28 HP Beta diesel engine. We plan to live on the boat and cruse all over, so I need something that will work in the tropics.

Personaly I would be tempted to not have refigeration in order to keep things simple, but without it I think my fiancee would leave me :-;

What kinds of systems are others using and how do you like them?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

I have an existing 12 volt water cooled system in my project boat. I have not yet attempted to run it to see if it even works. I am seriously considering scrapping the whole thing and converting the current firdge to a shelf designed to accomodate the 65qt. Engel portable fridge/freezer. It just seems that the space and complications of the current compressor to cool a box that has half of it's capacity taken up by the cold plate is not worth it. I can still be talked out of it though, so have at me!
The board does not cut itself short!
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

John,
We have a Grunnert 12v compressor and cold plate in the original LeComte icebox with added foamed-in insulation. It's fine. It's wired so that it won't run on 12v unless the engine is running which means that you have to run the engine for an hour to cool it down at the beginning of the weekend and then a half hour a day to keep it cool. We've taken to bringing ice aboard and using the refrigerator as an icebox Friday nights and running the engine Sat AM on the way out to sail. Beats listening to the thing on a quiet Friday night!

I doubt that there's room in a LeComte for a compressor belted off the engine. The Grunnert compressor sits in its own fiberglass tray under the cockpit which is not all that bad to access when you've emptied a lazarette.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

I have used a portable refrigerator on KAHOLEE. First a Igloo Survivor (AD/DC/Propane) which served me well for years. The only drawback to the Igloo was it pulls 7A in DC mode. It was a good unit, and I am still using it in my RV. I have switched to an Engel 45 on KAHOLEE just because it draws less then 3A. While I have yet to use it on board, (awaiting installation) my experience with the Igloo was very positive. There is an interesting article in Good Old Boat magazine on the Engel and using it as a replacement for a built in system. Faux fridge (Simple Solutions) by Carl Hunt, Sept/Oct 06 issue pages 78-79. If you are interested and can't find this issue, PM me and I'll see if I can find it and photocopy the article for you.

These systems make installation/replacement much easier and cheaper. They also give you the opportunity to load them at home the night before, have them plugged into A/C over night, transfer them to your vehicle for the drive to the marina on D/C and arrive at the boat with the unit already cool so you don't impact your batteries as much.

Here's a picture of the Igloo on KAHOLEE (upper left). The Engel will be installed in the same place using the Engel mounting bracket available separately.

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I have an old Alder Barbor Cold Machine that is air cooled. It is relatively simple and uses about 6A @12v for 20-30 minutes per hour. The ice box was foamed by the previous owner, but it keeps the beer "company picnic cold."

My only complaint is the location and amount of room the compressor unit takes up, but that is a PO gripe. I've had to replace the controller already, but I was able to use the Frigoboat controller as a direct replacement. I'm planning on getting rid of it in a year or two (it doesn't show any signs of dying) with a Frigoboat keel cooled unit which is smaller and gives me better mounting options.