Spreader thumbs

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Spreader thumbs

Post by Figment »

Well, what do you call them, then?

The half-cleat thing on the spreaders that prevent halyards from slapslapslapping the mast while at rest. Spreader thumbs.

I've been doing the "sling 'em 'round the spreader end" thing, but it's bad for the rig, looks awful, and the leather spreader boots are starting to show ill effects. I'd like to lay some thumbs on my spreaders, which are the wide-flat aluminum type. Something quick and simple.

Any ideas? Any tips on optimum position, etc?
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

(Thread dredge)

Did some searching around... Cool idea! I'm tired of launching bungee cords over the side!

Thumb cleats. (Did some reading, evidently they used them everywhere on old gaff rigs and thames barges.)

Hook side out, grabs hold of the halyard and holds it out far.

I'm thinking a nylon shroud cleat and a larger U-bolt would yield the same results... My spreaders are metal tubes. Saw off the pointy end, and leave the round loop.

Don't have a clue as to how bad they'd snag battens, and if it'd catch an overlapping jib when tacking. Gut feeling is that 6-8 inches off the mast would be plenty to put some tension on the halyard.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

Small stuff with a bowline & a midshipman's hitch works like a champ, won't shoot over the side, won't snag anything, and (perhaps my favorite) is SIMPLE. I work part-time at West Marine & I'm always amazed at the stuff people will buy to do what a knot or a one cent piece of rope will do. Also, a piece rope is a "multi-tasker" as you can use it in a number of applications.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Daggybits

Post by jollyboat »

I have ash shroud rollers on 466 and so have opted to daggybits tied to my turn buckes to lead and secure halyards away from the mast while moored. I have opted to remove as many cleats and what would otherwise make 466 much easier to use (and sensible) so I have had to resort to creative ways to secure both lines and the boat while moored.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

How bout some belaying pins?
The board does not cut itself short!