Hayn Hi-mod Terminals

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Hayn Hi-mod Terminals

Post by Ryan »

For any of you that have used the Hayn hi-mod swage less terminals for your standing rigging, how tight did you tighten the fitting when assembling them? I asked Hayn and they said to tighten finger tight and then a quarter turn with wrenches. This seemed awfully loose when I started putting mine together. Anybody have any experience with these?

Ryan
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I just did a few.

The flaw in those instructions is that one man's "finger tight" is another man's "oh dear god I need vice-grips".

After my quarter-turn, it was tight, but not as tight as I would have made it if left to my own devices. Disassembly was the eye-opener. When properly tight, they unscrew smoothly. When overtight, they're a little gritty.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Is there a direct source for those Hi-Mod fasteners?

I thought I would have to go through a rigger/dealer which kinda put me off them. With Sta-Lok and Norseman so readily available and proven I have been too lazy to deal with the middlemen.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Figment

Post by Figment »

I think I got mine through fisheries supply, but it might have been riggingonly.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Mine came from riggingonly. Hand tight and a quarter turn turned into hand tight and a half turn for me. I have been worried maybe I need to tighten them more, but I think I have done enough. Plus, since they have been put together with Loctite, that would make the job that much harder.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I got mine through Rigging Only.

I talked to technical support at Hayn about how tight. A direct quote from of of their guys:

"Tighten until you give a grunt... but make sure it is a middle aged grunt and not a teenager grunt." That actually made perfect sense to me.

I used blue locktite on mine. Seemed to work just fine. On the Hayn insulators I used the red locktite.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Figment

Did you leave ours at a quarter turn past hand tight, or did you crank on them a bit more?
Figment

Post by Figment »

(trying to remember)

The quarter-turn guideline is just that: A guideline. I ulltimately used the same force on the three that I did, but they didn't all go a quarter-turn, each had its own limit.

The "middle-aged grunt" seems like a better indicator.
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

I used Hi-mods last year which I got from Rigging Only. They were great to deal with and gave me the "Middle aged grunt" advice as well. I'm in descent shape ( for the shape I'm in) and gave them a good effort. I feel I'd rather have them too tight than too loose but I opened a couple up just to check that nothing was distorted. The rig stayed up so I'm happy!
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

How do Hi-Mods compare whit Norseman and Sta-Locs?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

JonnyBoats wrote:How do Hi-Mods compare whit Norseman and Sta-Locs?
I prefer them because they have the little crown ring that makes sure you have all the individual wires in place when you screw on the cover over the compression cone. With the others, you never know if you have it just right.

And yes, I guess the "middleaged grunt" advice came from Rigging Only and not Hayn, although they were equally as helpful.

The only thing I didn't like was that while you can get the terminal sizes in imperial measurements, you do need a metric wrench when tighting them down. Either that or a crecent wrench, which I would rather not.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

FWIW, I also received the "middle aged grunt" advice from Dave at Hayn. I finally broke down and disassembled and retightened every fitting yesterday quite a bit tighter than before. Hopefully, I won't even have to think about the fittings again!

Thanks for all the advice.

Ryan
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Ryan wrote:FWIW, I also received the "middle aged grunt" advice from Dave at Hayn. I finally broke down and disassembled and retightened every fitting yesterday quite a bit tighter than before. Hopefully, I won't even have to think about the fittings again!

Thanks for all the advice.

Ryan
True, although the beauty of these terminals is that you can disassemble and inspect them if need be. :)