CABIN HEATERS

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

I spent a night on a boat with a Force 10 "Cozy Cabin" kerosene heater, with the open burner, and my sleeping bag smelled of fuel for a week.
One of these came with my boat and I'm seriously considering removing it. They put out a barely adequate amount of heat and a LOT of noise.

I'm thinking of putting in a Dickenson solid fuel heater as a replacement. I sailed in a boat with one and it put out plenty of nice dry heat and it was quiet. If I were in need of serious full time heating for the higher latitudes I'd go for a diesel heater with sealed combustion chamber.
John
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I had a charlie noble like what has been pictured a couple of times here already.

I think that fitting depends on an air gap to insulate the chimney from the deck. After burning my coring I started looking for a real 'deckwater' fitting that holds water around the chimney. I went with this unit (my chimney is copper) which is sitting on my workbench waiting to be installed.

-Britton
Last edited by bcooke on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Jedediah
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Jedediah »

Wow, it must be a first, people actually liked my advice...aka bullEDITED FOR CONTENT BY WEBMASTER. Must not let it go to my head.
The Censors wrote:Please refrain from posting any profanity. Thanks.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Image
That's a fine looking fitting. Would you care to post your sources?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Robert The Gray wrote:Dorothy G has several interesting modifications.
Robert, there's an existing thread on Dorothy G that contains many more photos of the boat. I'll direct you there for now rather than edge this heater thread further away from its basis.

Link: Thread on Dorothy G
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

In case anyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for Britton to reply, I believe that deck ring is from the folks who make the nice, nice woodstoves (Sardine, Halibut, etc.) out on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington.

www.marinestove.com
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

Rachel wrote:
In case anyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for Britton to reply, I believe that deck ring is from the folks who make the nice, nice woodstoves (Sardine, Halibut, etc.) out on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington.

www.marinestove.com
I just checked out the above website. The stoves are awesome. I certainly like the Newport solid fuel stove until I just layed my eyes on the sardine. NOW to start figuring out how to set up a "sardine" in my Renegade

Does anyone have one of these?
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

NOW to start figuring out how to set up a "sardine" in my Renegade
Sacrificing the hanging locker is probably the best place, and if you close the sliding bulkhead doors, you'd have a sauna. Moving the sink would be a good spot, but the stove would be next to the icebox, and where would the sink go? Do you still have a quarterbirth? If you put it there I think there might be smoke problems though.

Nice stoves though....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ah, now others are racking their brains over how to fit one of these in. Let me know when you figure it out, okay?

You've probably already gone to the section on the website (photos?) where they show various installations. Some are on quite small boats, but then they are often back near the companionway, where the chimney would make it really hard to have a dodger.

I still want one though.

R.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Some great installations to look at in this thread.

Post by Tom Young »

I'm still modifying the original Simpson Laurence fireplace in my 61 Challenger. Sailing in Maine, it gets quiite alot of use. (I've shown this before so sorry for boring some)

I had to replace an all wood top that of course wanted to catch fire after an hour or so of use. The SS top I had made has large vent holes for added heat output.

Last mod. was simply adding a liner of sheet metal around the cast iron firebox for another air channel and hence cooling layer. That helped alot and now the burner can be fired for hours without the smell of simmering cabinetry.

I plan to add metal around the front face next(to the side of the tile) with more ventilation holes and then eventually add a fan below that should pull air through and opening down low in the bilge and send it up through the air channels and out the front. There's also a large grill between the stove and the head which makes the head like a small suana, not such a bad thing.

This heater is hot and throws alot of heat when a good fire is going. (The front door which covers the flame except for the bottom grate area is removed just for the photo) I find small chunks of bone dry hardwood best and the worst I get on deck is soot that cleans off easily. These solid wood heaters are not for everybody but quite common in Maine. If I were to liveaboard this boat, I'd go with the new hydronic systems as tubing would work better in this old boat than duct work.

Arcadia
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Arcadia »

Saw an interesting heater on a boat in the yard where we keep our boat. It had been removed while some other work was going on. I believe the boat is Swedish built. It is a hot water baseboard system with a kerosene burner.Image[/img]Image
There is a fitting for the stove pipe visible on the upper right side of the heating chamber, the hose fitting below runs to the radiators. The return comes in above(or the other way around) I'm guessing that the tanks above are for expansion and reserve water reservoir?
Image Image
It seems to be run by a small circulator pump, I thought it was some sort of purge valve when I first looked at it. The burner set up is mounted in the head compartment, and the radiators run in a loop around the boat below the settees, up into the forward cabin and back around the other side. The burner set up is pretty make shift looking but I imagine it works OK. I think it could be engineered better without much difficulty, propane maybe?
It certainly doesn't have the appeal of the fire place though..still it looks like it would be effective. Maybe a heat exchanger in a solid fuel fireplace, best of both worlds!
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

That is a very interesting contraption. What are the two round objects at the top of the setup?
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
Arcadia
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Arcadia »

JP,
I'm not sure exactly, but I'm thinking that they are an expansion tank type of set up. If you look closely at the upper one, you can see it appears to have a sight glass. The hose fitting on the lower one is for one side of the radiator circuit.
It would be interesting to see this thing operate, but the owner of this boat is working in Europe, and since he purchased it a few years ago(3 or 4 years) it has just been sitting in the yard. The story I heard (from the yard owner)is that the yard was starting to do some work on it because he was going to sail it over, since his 'temp' work in Europe wasn't looking so temporary. I talked to the yard owner yesterday and now the guy may be back, so we might be able to get more info at some point. Apparently the owner said this system is not unheard of in northern European waters, he has seen it on other boats. He( the owner) was looking into whether it was still being manufactured.
Chris
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

I haven't really looked into the system (and assumed I would be removing it) but the Swede I'm purchasing has a "Wolter Systems" propane and electric water heater in it. They used this to run through mini "radiators" much like the system above to heat the boat.

I found a sold one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-W ... 0077106431
I want a shop!