Best Location for Whisker Pole Eye on the Mast?

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Best Location for Whisker Pole Eye on the Mast?

Post by Case »

I am going to install a new Whisker Pole Eye on the mast on the family daysailer some time this week. I need some advice for the best location to install it on the mast.

If you do not know what I am talking about, I apologize because I do not know the correct term for that thingy with an eye which you attach a whisker pole onto.

Anyone willing to give me some pointers on deciding the ultimate location of the eye?

As of now I am thinking about 4 feet from the bottom of the mast. The lapper the family daysailer has a pretty high clew, probably 5 - 6 feet high from the deck when sheeted in hard.

- Case
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

The pole should be fairly level when in use. Therefore, hoist the sail you intend to use it with, hook the whisker pole to the clew and push the sail out. Hold the mast end close to the mast and raise it up and down til the pole is fairly level. That's where it belongs. Better to have it a TAD low rather than a tad high.

If you intend to use it often with more than one sail, with variable heigth clews, you really should have it on a track.