KAHOLEE - Solomons

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

KAHOLEE - Solomons

Post by Allen »

Well today was a long one. NOAA predicted 10 knots of wind with 1 foot waves. They only missed it by 7 knots and 2 feet. I had consistent 17 knots, +/- and waves high enough to send green water rolling down the deck.

The other bummer is my dinghy painter parted today and I lost my Porta-Bote. T stuff secured on the stern obscures the dinghy when she is on a short line and I didn't even notice it until I pulled into Calvert Marina at Solomons. Probably a good thing I didn't see it go, trying to recover it in those seas would not have been pretty.

On the good side the autopilot performed flawlessly. I am sure glad I had it since steering through those conditions for 5 hours would have been exhausting. I am tired enough as it is.

Solomons is a great place so far. I walked down to this little shack of a cafe and had some wonderful seafood chowder and a Red Stripe. This marina, Calvert, is also a BoatUS affiliated marina so I get a discount which makes it fairly reasonable, around $33.00/day including a 30A connection.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

On the Move!

Post by John, CD28 »

Hey that SPOT report is really cool. Does that come with the basic subscription price ($100/year +/-)?

Follow the sun, & keep up the reports!

Best,
John Ring
Cape Dory 28 Tantalus
(to be hauled 24th)
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Allen

Post by Allen »

John,

The track feature is not part of the basic subscription which is $99.99. Track is $49.99 extra. I also got the $100,000.00 SAR coverage which is $7.95 for the first year and $150/yr after that (may not get this next year). As you can see, I forgot to turn it on when I left Tilghman Island.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

The only problem with loosing your dinghy is that you are "out in the boonies" on the other side of the creek at Calvert!

Yes, 5-10 knots predicted this time of year on the Bay usually means 15-20 (as opposed to in the Summer when it means 0-5).

Make sure you check out the Calvert Maritime Museum!
Allen

Post by Allen »

I'm starting to figure the wind thing out. I may have to miss the museum. I rented a car today but spent all my time at West Marine and Boater's World picking up parts for some projects I am planning on doing tomorrow, then I'm off to Reedville on Wednesday if the weather is good. If I wind up staying longer I'll get another car and go for a visit. Not having the dinghy is like not having a car. I use to row all over, but now I'm stuck close to the marina.

New dinghy is payed for though, just need to figure out where to have them ship it.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position