Nice Sunday Sail Around the SF Bay

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

Hi All,

Last weekend was the first one in August we did not have small craft warning in the SF Bay Area. So I decided to take a break from my "head" project to enjoy it (after all, all work and no play makes one a...). As with almost everyone that berth in Oakland or Alameda I motored out the estruary against a 10 knot head wind. As soon as we were clear we made a starboard tack toward Angle Island. The wind was really nice behind the hills of SF and Treasurer Island during the first leg of my trip. As soon as Blossom (Triton106) sailed out of the shadow of Treasurer Island we were immediately welcomed with 20-25 knots fresh breeze with whitecaps everywhere. But having checked the NOAA marine weather forecast beforehand I already had two reefs tucked in. Blossom balanced beautifully under that condition.

Soon we were past the open slot area and came under the lee of Angel Island and wind speed dropped below 5 knotes and the water is almost glassy smooth. What a contrast with the whitecaps in the slot! As I started to look around I saw a guy trying to row his boat out of the lee of the island. I then noticed that the hull shape look very similar to a Triton and as I got closer it sure is another Triton and no other than "Whisper" owned (and now sold) by Robert. I could tell from the distinct yawl rig that he added to "Whisper". Since I know he has sold it but maintained the right to sail it during the summer I was not sure if it was him or the new owner. So I turned on my trusty Atomic Four and motored toward him (at that point the wind is down to almost nothing). It turned out that it was Robert. So I motored around him (he was rowing) and exchanged some pleasantries with him and went our ways. It was a nice close encounter on the water and my first time meeting Robert.

As I came around Angele Island I tacked back and forth like everyone else through the narrow channel between the island and Tiburon and enjoyed taking in the views of the beautiful homes on the edge of the water and the haughty Corithian Yacht Club building. The wind in that area, beacuse it is behind Marin headlands is only 10 knots or so. I thought of shaking out the reefs. But as I look toward the open slot area with the white caps I decided to leave it in.

Soon we were past Sausolito and Marin County hills and in the open slot again. The wind is still blowing 20-25 even though it is close to 4PM by then. It is a beam reach all the way toward SF with the entire city front laying out in front of us. It's the kind of view that can only be enjoyed from a boat and I considered myself lucky to be a sailor.

After we passed the slot area again, unfortunately like someone had given an order, the wind completely disappeared. I mean not even a hint could be detected. So I decided to turn on my iron gennie again and headed toward Oakland estruary and back to Grand Marina again.

Sorry I did not take any pictures. As a single hander I was mostly busy holding on to the course and tacking. Attached below you can see the SF Bay Chart with most of the landmarks I mentioned above. The Oakland estruary is in the lower right hand side. Marin County is in the upper left hand side. Angele Island is in the middle of the chart.

Hope you all go out and have a few more great cruising trips this year.

Best regards,
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Ray,
Your story brought back many fond memories for me. I kept 346 at both the Alameda Marina as well as the Oakland Basin behind Coast Guard Island. The "Basin" was my favorite spot - great company. One of my favorite trips was to blast through the slot and dart behind Angle Island as you did and then venture into Richmond Bay - so much warmer there. The Bay has a lot to offer and exploring the region on a Triton is real treat.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ganges #363 »

Great story, Ray. Nice that you saw Robert, and that he's still able to sail Whisper.

The day before your trip, I crewed on the 39' Crocker gaff schooner Regulus in the Great Schooner Race. It was a wonderful fleet, including such Bay stalwarts as Brigadoon, Yankee, and Santana.

We started off the west side of Angel Island, down around Alcatraz, then up past Pt. Richmond to near Red Rock, then back down and up through Raccoon Strait (between Angel Island and the Marin shore) to the finish. It was a great day, perfect breeze and gorgeous boats.

The event was hosted by the San Francisco YC (next door to Corinthian), and we shared the after race party/trophies on the SFYC deck with a yacht club wine tasting party. On our side, smoked salmon and crackers...on the theirs, tables groaning with food ranging from oysters on the half shell to sushi. On our side, old to ratty sailing gear...on theirs, many faded red trousers and blue blazers.

So many ways to enjoy the Bay.

Bill
Ganges #363
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

The rowing worked and after about 15 minutes I got through the lee just fine. Had a few round ups with the mizzen stay sail (mss) after getting into the full breeze. when the winds are 20 + in the gusts i can only point at a deep broad reach. If i get above that the mss gets creates a lot of heel. blow the vang, blow the main sheet, blow the mss sheet, let out the mizzen boom, try again. To much sail for the given conditions unless warranted by the skipper, as the skipper i signed the warrant. It was good to see ray and 106 on the bay. He has varnished the rub rails and the set off the dark blue topsides.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Great story.

My SF bay story was in the late 80's we sailed in the Sears cup out of Richmond YC.

We won the areas and regionals (both held in Annapolis) in shields provided by the naval academy, but the finals were to be in J24s.

So we practiced in J24s all spring/summer on the ches bay. In little to no wind.

We got to the race in SF bay and had no clue how to deal with wind like that. We were mostly behind Angel Island...but the jibe mark must have been in the slot you described!!!

I have distinct memories of the chute up and spreaders in the water......

I can say that year I was 8th in the country at the sears cup....but there were 8 boats entered.

Fond memories of SF bay though!!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~