Off Soundings

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Off Soundings

Post by Figment »

Offhand I'd say that the fleet for the fall Off Soundings regatta was about 100 boats in twelve classes. Not huge by the standards of the Brand Name events, but impressive when you're in the middle of it all pre-start.

Gorgeous committee boats.

The friday race (New London to Greenport via Valiant Rock) is always a good long day with some very interesting tide-management decisions. Our decisions were good, but not great. A 3+knot (no joke) tide was in full effect the second we poked our nose out beyond the island, causing us to duck Race Rock, and then a number of headboats and then not quite lay the bell at gull island. We, the fleet, all had to tack and sail directly into that current, making big tracks through the water but just creeping over ground. The following 15 miles didn't really matter. The day was won or lost in that tide.

And then, we DRINK! 700 sailors descend upon a tiny patch of grass, surrounding a tent of boozebuckets. For the past few years I and my fellow crew have had the duty and delight of "bartending" these festivities. The stampede for the booze when the flags go up can be intimidating to the uninitiated, but man it's just good wholesome enthusiasm.

Then the red-pants brigade read the results...

And we all hit the water and do it again the next day.
The next day is just a bouy-course within Gardiner's Bay, but always entertaining. Halfway through the second upwind leg the wind clocked 30 degrees and intensified to 25 knots or so, bringing a good stinging rain as well. A quick reef, a slow jib change, and on we go, expecting the RC to shorten the course at the top mark.
But they're not on station to do so. They're on station to finish the race for the Nonsuch class, who sailed a shorter course. The rest of us must decide whether to retire or continue on for two more legs. Down we go.
Reefed main and #3 jib were sufficient to keep the knotmeter needle bouncing off the 10 with each wave. We were happy to be well set-up for the leg. Watching other boats try to tuck a reef or change headsails on the run was just painful.

Not nearly so painful as the Wyliecat 30 that marched past us with every inch of canvas flying, and then stuffed their bow in a wave and took a crash-gybe knockdown that can only be described as the monohull version of a "pitchpole". As we evaded the downed boat I got a great look at a spotlessly-clean bottom. The boat righted itself as we passed their transom, and we all exhaled to count all crew aboard and none in the water. That could've been a lot uglier.

The wind built into the 30s on the last upwind leg, but the boat was loving it thanks to the second reef we took while rounding the leeward mark.
We passed two lower-rated boats in our class on that leg. Those corklike lightweight boats that just bob up and over the waves without a care are doing it all wrong. Water is speed! You need a foot of water in the bilge to give you the mass/intertia to punch through those waves so that you can take more water with the spray of each wave that reaches the cockpit because WATER IS SPEED!!!! :)

A much smaller party the second night. This is traditionally the case, as some boats opt to return home after finishing, but this time I think breakdowns and old-fashioned exhaustion contributed as well. Again with the booze, again with the redpants. This time with silver.

Awful Soundings, I can't wait for the spring.
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

Sounds like fun! What kinda boat were you on?
I want a shop!
Figment

Post by Figment »

A very well-fitted C&C Redwing 30.

We usually battle a couple of Pearson 30s, and aspire to save time against a 1/4-ton IOR boat, and lately a Beneteau 30 and a Pearson 31 have been in the mix as well. They all owe us time, so there is generally a "spirited" exchange between boats when we cross ahead. :)

Dennis, you missed a couple of FANTASTIC starts.
Friday we were right at the pin (Acadia) leading the class to Fisher's with Checkered Demon on our hip. We gave Tom a good show on that one.
Saturday we port-tacked the fleet from the boat end. (bad line, really) We're told that an absolute mess ensued in later classes when a few tried the same trick against a parade of starboard boats.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Usually the first boat with the kahonnes (sic?) to port start gets away with it while the fleet yells SOB. The boats in the following classes can hear a slam as the door closes. When Marty Lyons was in our class with Celebration on Wednesdays, that was his trick. Scratch boat, port tack at the pin end while we were all getting in each others air at the stbd end and he was history. As soon as we consistently shut the door on him he was DFL every time.

I hate to say anything bad about Chuck but it seems his course decisions as of late have not been stellar. He did not shorten in the spring and then again on Saturday. At least it was not a drifter so that the remainder of the course took for ever.

OS is always a great time and tending bar is always interesting. Two weeks ago I had a conversation with Murph, father of the 20 year old red head that Sara is determined to prevent getting a drink. Murph is wondering what Sara is going to do next spring when he is 21. Even I am looking forward to the look on her face.

Tom has done an outstanding job with Acadia but I still like Scarlett, his previous Penbo Trawler better.

Cheers
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Figment

Post by Figment »

They shortened the course at Crow on Friday which was just baffling, everyone had to sail past the actual finish on their way into the harbor anyway.

Shortening on Saturday simply wasn't an option because they had to be in position to finish the Nonsuch class and they couldn't be in two places at once. I guess it's tough to scare up enough committee members to staff BOTH Noreaster and Nereida with enough people to record the finishing of the fleet.

And really I was totally psyched to sail those last two legs. I'm certain that it was less fun on other boats, but that was Plastic Classic weather for sure.

I'm afraid Murph won't get the pleasure, this was our last time on the bar. We'll be jockeying for place in line with him and the rest of the stampede.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Figment wrote:I'm afraid Murph won't get the pleasure, this was our last time on the bar. We'll be jockeying for place in line with him and the rest of the stampede.
Damn.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.