Launch Day at Last!!!

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Launch Day at Last!!!

Post by Bluenose »

I am normally pretty late in launching my Bluenose. But this year I set a personal best. A combination of getting married and moving my new wife up from California, buying a new boat and repainting Bleu change my normal plans. But now I am in the water.

Laura and I had great fun getting Bleu ready but we were both disappointed in our first attempt at the cove stripes and Boot top. First new rule, never let a one eyed blind man (that would be me) eye ball the boot top. And second listen to Tim word for word. But this afternoon after the tide changes and hopefully the wind picks up those stripes are going to look better and better.

So lots of pictures. Enjoy.

Yesterday evening was rigging day. It went quick. I have become friends with a couple who live in Colorado and keep their boat on Lopez. Every year they come out and take a 2 to 3 week cruise through the Gulf Islands and then the put their beautiful CT back on stands and shrink wrap her. A true labor of love. I will miss how easy the Bluenose is to rig every year.

This morning was a beautiful calm day. A great day to launch but not much wind for sailing off the dock.

Our lift operator, Mitch, is an artist. He treats every boat like she is a gold plater. Never in a rush. I sometimes just hang around to watch him work.

With a nice shove from Mitch I managed to scull right out of the lift onto the holding dock. I was a bit in a hurry cause the tide was getting ready to ebb in a big way which would have forced me onto the dock.

This is the part of sailing without an engine that they usually leave out of the brochure. It was just a bit tricky getting of the dock with the current picking up but a couple of good shoves and we were off. I usually row with one long oar but it was easier to use my dinghy oar as a paddle.

Here we are tied up to the guest dock waiting for the tide to change and the wind to pick up. The float plane in the background is just one of the many obstacles of sailing in and out the bay. I joke that on July 4th you can walk across the bay on all of the boats.

Gone Sailing!

A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Very nice, congratulations! Enjoy the rest of the summer.
John
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Boy, she looks nice!

I couldn't help thinking of the family resemblance to my (McVay-designed) Paceship Eastwind. If you ignore the cabintop, the hulls are quite similar.

Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

What a beautiful area up there. I must do some cruising and sailing out there. I can envision Glissando making a long road trip to enjoy a season out there some year in the future.

The boat looks good! I like that design a lot. Enjoy the sailing!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Well Tim, you know that by next year there will be a lot easier and cheaper way to explore the San Juan Islands then hauling Glissando across the country. Even if it meant day sailing from one bed and breakfast to the next. Perhaps you could call it customer support. Yea that's it. I can turn anything into a boon doggle.

One more picture of Bleu. I sometimes forget how beautiful it is up here until I take some pictures.

Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bill, I just spent the night anchored in Fisherman Bay. I sat in my cockpit with an evening cup of tea, admiring Bleu through my binoculars. She looks great, and what a beautiful bay you have her moored on!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Hey Peter,

Wow, hard to believe that I missed you. I have sailed almost everyday since I launched her. We are pretty close neighbors so maybe our paths will cross someday.

I went out today and it was grand. So far it seems the summer winds have been kind.

Cheers, Bill