Maine Fog season?

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Maine Fog season?

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

Yeah, I could probably google for this info anywhere, but I thought I'd query some genuine Maine sailors for the best time to do a one week cruise in mid-coast Maine, weather-wise.
Nothing beats cruising on one's own vessel, but I have a feeling I may be slightly longer on cash than time during the next few years (not that I'll be appreciably long on either!) and sailing my own boat there may not be practical.
I've been trying to convince my aging pops for years that while Vermont is dear to our family and southern New England has its merits, there's no place like Maine and he should visit at least once before he's too old to climb a companionway ladder. And I'm toying--er, more like fantasizing--with the idea of proving that, maybe, via a few days on a chartered Hinckley. That might beat cruising on one's own vessel... :-p
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

In terms of the finest summer weather--though not necessarily fog-free, of course--I think that the month-long period from mid-July to mid-August is an excellent time to plan Maine cruising. This stretch typically features the warmest weather and the longest hours of daylight--in other words, true summer. After mid-August, one really starts to notice how much earlier the darkness sets in.

September is a wonderful time here as well, and often offers some of the best weather of the year. The decrease in evening daylight is very noticable in September, though. In many ways, though, early-mid September might be the nicest time on the water.

Fog can and does happen anytime, so there are no guarantees.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

Every year, every month, every week seems to be different with the fog situation. My favorite cruising months are August and September. Whenever the fog rolls in, it never seems to stay long. Enjoy!
John