The season that just can't seem to get underway

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

The season that just can't seem to get underway

Post by Tim »

As I've posted before, for a variety of reasons I chose to set my initial launch date this year for after Memorial Day: May 29. Late enough, as it was.

But I decided I wasn't happy with the "new" hauler I had chosen (for reasons more complex than I care to go into here), so I called my regular, Steve Morse, and he fit me in for Monday, June 4. What's another week in return for a good hauler that I trust? But a June launch date hurt.

All weekend, I watched the weather with increasing trepidation: the remnants of TS Barry were supposed to affect our weather for Monday, with rain and relatively strong winds. Hardly ideal for launching and so forth, but what can you do. Still, I fretted about the forecast all weekend, particularly on Sunday afternoon when the rain and wind started coming.

Monday morning arrived with rain, drizzle, fog, and some wind--but it didn't seem too bad here in Whitefield. Steve got here at 8 and we began with a few yard moves to shuffle some boats in and out of the shop, and so forth.

Then, we loaded up Glissando and, just after 1000, headed towards the public landing at Rockland, where I planned to launch. The weather was unpleasant, but I can take a little discomfort.

During the hours' drive to Rockland, I anxiously watched the weather. The sky brightened here and there, but as we neared the coast the trees seemed to be moving a lot. Then, when I could finally see Rockland Harbor, my worst fears were confirmed: plenty of wind, and waves.

We got to the public landing, and I conferred with Steve. It looked gross out there. The wave action wasn't that bad at the ramp--it was worse in the main part of the harbor--but still, given the whole situation it just didn't seem like the smartest thing in the world to launch today. After contemplating the conditions for a while, I called it off. The fact that Steve was available on Wednesday morning, only two days hence, to try again certainly factored into my decision. As frustrating as it was to think about turning around and going home, boat and all, it helped knowing that in a couple days we could try again. The weather sounded much better then.

Things don't look that bad in this photo. Photos always flatten waves and diminsh perspective.

Add in my unfamiliarty with a new harbor and the facilities thereunto, plus the general misery of the day, and I felt pretty comfortable with my decision. I cannot praise Steve Morse enough for his helpfulness and willingness to accommodate the changes in plan.

As we left, I noticed this sad sight adjacent to the landing. Any weather bad enough to do this is too bad for me to try and launch my silly boat. I can wait a few days.

We returned back to the shop in tandem, where we blocked the boat up again, 80 miles under her belt but only a few feet from where she was this morning. Sigh.

That's OK. After the rainy ride, she needed another bath. Badly.

Better luck on Wednesday! I'll still beat Nathan to the water, though. :<P

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I don't criticize your decision, but I do admire your restraint.
Launch day is LAUNCH DAY, and it would take some fast talking to get me to wave it off at the ramp.

Of course, a boat on the rocks is pretty convincing.
What would you say? 18-20kts?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

rocklandharbor.info shows winds in the 15mph for the past 2 hours. But I know that Rockland harbor has about 2 miles of fetch, so it doesn't take much to get really snotty in there.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I never take chances with my boat.

But, as I said, the fact that I only have to wait two days for a redo factored in rather heavily. Thanks, Steve!

As much as I wanted to have the boat in and rigged, I'd rather wait than regret a hasteful decision.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Good choice.

Post by Tom Young »

There is a heavy swell coming into Rockport Harbor at this moment as the tide goes out. It must have been nasty out there.

Are you keeping the boat in Belfast Tim? How did you mooring hunt turn out? I realize now you're in Whitefield which is up 17 from here?

I can't find any info on the boat washed up in Rockland. Do you know anyting more about it? Thanks
Tim

Re: Good choice.

Post by Tim »

Tom Young wrote:Are you keeping the boat in Belfast Tim? How did you mooring hunt turn out?
Tom, I'm keeping the boat in Rockland for the short term; I've rented a seasonal mooring for now. But my name is on the list at Buck's Harbor, and I'm hoping to get a mooring there this season. I won't know for another couple weeks.
Tom Young wrote:I realize now you're in Whitefield which is up 17 from here?
That's right. About 35-40 miles.
Tom Young wrote:I can't find any info on the boat washed up in Rockland. Do you know anyting more about it? Thanks
Unfortunately, no. I couldn't get closer to the boat when I was there. There were some anchor lines tied offshore of the boat, apparently to prevent her from being driven further up the beach, so it was clear that her owners or someone knew about the boat and had taken some corrective action to minimize further damage. (You can just see these lines bow and stern in the photo.) She's pretty far up that beach, so there must have been some good waves at the time.

I didn't get a glimpse of the cabin trunk design, so I don't even know what kind of boat she is. Nice looking, in any event...sad to see this. I suspect she came up Sunday afternoon or evening, when the winds were pretty high.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Bucks Harbor! Good for you Tim

Post by Tom Young »

Having close to a decade of sailing on Penobscot Bay, I'm still amazed at how big and varied a water body it is. It's amazing to me what options we have as I take checks of the wind and weather for a few days of sailing.

I've spent alot of time on coastlines from here to the Bahamas, sometimes spending weeks, even years (in places in southern Maine). It's all beautiful, but nowhere has given us the sailing options that Penobscot Bay has and does to this day.

From our moorings in Camden and Rockport, it becomes evident why a fleet of sail only schooners have been sailing out of here for decades (centuries as cargo haulers).

We take for granted that we can often (if not usually) sail to favorite old destinations and new unexplored areas, and sail back home again. Many of the areas I have kept our boat were usually a one way ticket. And coastlines are often, well coast-line(s). This area is an explosion of sea, bay and islands and mainland that seem all folded together.

Penobscot Bay is open sea and placid back water, different worlds on a boat, often several times a day as you sail through. Bucks Harbor is the back door step to the bay with the Eggemoggin Reach outside. It will give you fine options to plan a weekend of sailing and little or no motoring if you want. Plus, it's a protected home away from home in a wonderful quiet coastal town. We love it there.

And Rockland has a different angle. Well located on the great circle sailing route with the prevailing winds. Of course you know what the bay is like Tim, but you're going to love having your boat there.

A Mainer years ago in Portland told me when I get the boat to Penobscot Bay, "you'll think you died and went to heaven" He was pretty close. Congratulations.
Tim

Post by Tim »

For years, Penobscot Bay and environs has been the destination I've pushed for when sailing out of the Portland area. I like it better than anywhere else on the coast of Maine, and I think it offers the best cruising.

I'm very excited to have Penobscot Bay as my home waters now!
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Well, Tim and Nathan should be launching today. Helluva lot nicer than it was Monday! Good call to wait, Tim.

Fair winds guys, and let the season begin!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Finally!

dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim is also in and despite a stuck-in-the-mud episode, also got his mast stepped. I think he'll post pics tomorrow.