Question on holding tanks

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Question on holding tanks

Post by Chris Campbell »

Hi,

My Dad has just bought a boat in Rhode Island which doesn't have a holding tank - it's set up for old-fashioned straight into the harbour flushing. He lives in Saint John, NB, where this is the norm, so it's not an issue once he's gotten home (at least not yet, hopefully someday pumping stations will be common and a law will be written, but not so far). The issue is: what to do about the sail home? We don't plan to head out to three miles offshore and stay there, although there will be some of that, but there will also be some coming in to land here and there, so we would be in violation of the rules.

Does anyone know what the rules are for visiting vessels? Can we postpone instaling a holding tank until it is practical to have on in New Brunswick, or will we absolutely need one for the trip?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Cheers,

Chris
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

There is no legal requirement that a vessel have a head. My recommendation is to disable the head by sealing the discharge seacock closed. Can you do this by putting a wire tie through the seacock handle so that it can not be opened without cutting the wire tie?

Of course once out 3 miles one is free to cut the wire tie and use the head. Just put a new wire tie on before coming back in within the 3 mile limit.

Inside the 3 mile limit, do you have a bucket?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

You could get an inexpensive porta-potti which would cover you for the trip home.

Or maybe just borrow one for the trip.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog