Physical Mast Dimensions--Pearson Triton

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Physical Mast Dimensions--Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

In an earlier thread on this forum, there was a brief discussion of the relative heights of the Triton fractional rig and masthead rig. There are several variations on the Triton rig that we know about:

1. The tapered fractional spar section used on the first production run of Tritons. Exactly when the section was changed is not known.

2. The untapered fractional spar section used on sloop-rigged Tritons built in Rhode Island

3. The fractional spar section used on sloop-rigged Tritons built in Sausalito, CA (might be the same as Rhode Island-built boats, but I've never seen hard evidence one way or another. Myths abound in this arena.)

4. The fractional spar section used on yawl-rigged Tritons (I'm not sure if a tapered or untapered spar was used--but most yawls seem to have been built early in the production run and have hull numbers lower than 100.)

5. The masthead spar section used on some yawl-rigged Tritons (including, but not limited to, #59)

6. The masthead spar section on some sloop-rigged Tritons

As you can see, with so many possible configurations, it's no wonder that true specs are up in the air (so to speak...ahem). Let's try to debunk some of the myths, hearsay, and so forth and post your own physically measured (not guessed or based on any hearsay)
spar information here.

This should be interesting.

Tim
Tim

Spar Length on #381 Glissando

Post by Tim »

Triton #381 is a Rhode Island-built fractional Triton sloop. To the extent of my knowledge, the spar is original equipment.

The length of the bare extrusion (not including the cast aluminum mast step insert, nor the cast aluminum masthead insert) on #381 is almost exactly 37'; I say "almost exactly" because a slight error may have been induced by the tape measure running over installed halyards and such. The amount of possible error is perhaps an inch.

Later, I'll measure the I (foretriangle height) and E (mainsail hoist length) and post those results here.

Tim
kaynee

Post by kaynee »

Triton 100 is the last tapered mast, I read somewhere.
#30 at it's original heighth was 36' 10", I recall.
Hello.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Dasein, hull number 668. As far as I know, I have the original section.

East coast boat, fractional rig, untapered section.

Distance from base to spreaders: 15' 11";
Distance from spreaders to masthead: 20' 10";
For a total mast height of: 36' 9";

these dimensions do not include the foot insert or the masthead insert. It is just the lenght of the spar. The foot adds about 1/2" and the masthead insert is probably another 5 inches or so.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Mast height

Post by The Good Goose »

Triton 522 Larger nontapered extrusion 37 feet extrusion only.

Brock Richardson
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

(broadening the topic to "rig dimensions")

In searching for used sails, I noted that Bacon's lists the triton (fractional sloop) foresail luff dimension as a range between 28'-3" and 30'3". Scaling this dimension off of the sailplan drawings yields something in the neighborhood of 28'. By the outward appearance of things, a 30' luff doesn't seem appropriate. Even if the stay itself is that long, running the head of the sail that high would incur a lot of chafe on the jumper stays, except in the case of a blade jib, and even then I have my doubts.

Does anyone have any hard data on the actual luff lengths of their sails? Or just some sense of what works and what doesn't?
Tim

Post by Tim »

My headstay, pin-pin with the turnbuckle opened all the way, is 31'-8.5".

The luff of the sail is of course somewhat shorter than this. I've made inquiries about my exact sail dimensions, and will post them when I get them. When I first launched, I measured the actual length of the usable portion of the new headfoil with the sailmaker, so that we could get the tallest possible sail within the confines of the physical space. This is the dimension I have requested from the sailmaker's files.

My sail likely has a slightly shorter luff length than might be possible because I have a roller furler. A hanked-on sail could be longer by whatever clearances are required by the upper swivel and lower drum on a RF system. But my sail has the longest luff possible for my own situation.

However, I'm sure this thread will show that there are wide differences between the boats, so the only surefire way to determine what is best for your boat is to measure your own headstay and work from there. I can't stress this enough. Time and again, various situations have shown that there are too many variables in these (and most other) boats to allow one random dimension or another from being accurate enough to use without confirmation.

I would guess that you would probably need to start by deducting at least 12" off the actual headstay length (pin-pin) to allow for the upper swage, proper clearance at both ends, actual turnbuckle adjustment, etc. If buying used, err on the side of caution.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

#397, EC Masthead rig, nontapered teardrop/foil shaped mast section, appx. 6" x 3.5".

Mine measures 35' 5-1/2" overall height including MH fitting, Max. main hoist (top of black band--bottom of black band) 31' 3-1/2", Top of lower band 2' 9" from base, spreaders C/L is 16' 3" from base.

Actual spar extrusion measures 35' 2".

FWIW, Pearson Drawing #P-20-B, Dated 3-1-61 identifies this extrusion as "Extrusion #3" and lists the following worthless but semi-breathtaking info:

Die Owner--Pearson Corp.
Extruder---Alcoa #T-1812
Alloy--6061T6
Dimensions---6.0 x 3.5 x .130"
LBS. Per Foot 2.338

Drawing also notes the following specs---

Triton Sloop Mast--37'
Triton Yawl Mast--35'
Triton MH Sloop Mast--35'
Triton MH Yawl Mast--33'
Ariel/Commander Mast--30' 5" (My Note--The sailplan specs for Commander show a shorter hoist on the main, the gooseneck track is quite long and they actually ran the boom HIGHER to make the difference between boat wights, etc. to put the Ariel and Commander in the same 1-design class. Of course, if one puts and Ariel main on a Commander it REALLY goes.)

...Isn't THAT Special?

Dave
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The extrusion length (untapered) on Triton #680 is 36 feet 10 inches +/- 0.125 inches

-Britton