Nav lights

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Jeff PT403
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Type: pearson triton

Nav lights

Post by Jeff PT403 »

Can I keep the old Nav side lights or is it best to go with the bi-light on the bow rail?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Nav lights

Post by Rachel »

As far as I know the original sidelights on the Triton are legal (if they are the ones on the cabinside and not below the gunwale), but I would would put in a strong vote for a bi-color on the pulpit. much more visible, especially if you have sails up. Also you can consolidate the wiring. On an earlier sailboat (non-Triton) I was able to drill a hole in a pulpit leg and run the wires up inside (not that this is model specific).

(Depending on your usage you may also want to get a tri-color for the top of the mast, but you may still have times when you are motor-sailing and need to use the "deck level" sidelights.)
Jeff PT403
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Type: pearson triton

Post by Jeff PT403 »

So do both and keep the sidelights for motoring?

Thanks Jeff
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

To clarify:

1) I would remove the original sidelights (presuming they are the type on the sides of the cabin) and replace them with a bi-color (single unit with red and green) or possibly two separate lights, but either way on the pulpit. I think this gives the best visibility, especially under sail.

2) If I were going to sail offshore and/or on coastal near-shore passages, then I would consider adding a tri-color (red/green/white at top of mast). Here are two reasons why: One is that it can save power because it is one bulb vs. two or three (this is less of a factor if you have LED deck-level lights); and two is that away from shore, especially in swells, the top-of-mast light can be easier for other vessels to see (conversely near shore the high light can be harder to see in background lighting "clutter").

Thing is, if you have an engine it's not really practical to only have the tri-color, because that is of no use (does not conform to rules) when you are motoring or motor-sailing. So if you are only going to have one set of lights, then I would go for the pulpit-mounted red/green (and of course also a steaming light and a stern light).

Rachel
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, well, the tricolor (at top of mast) is not legal when steaming because the steaming light has to be positioned "x" distance above the sidelights/stern light. That (obviously) can't be achieved if those lights are at the top of the mast. (I think that distance is one meter but I will have to look that up and then I'll come back and edit the post.)

Edited to add:

Here is an easy-to-read diagram from West Marine's "advisor" page. It doesn't give figures but shows the optional layouts. Note that on the second sailboat you have to choose one or the other scheme to show, and not both at the same time. Also (not that you don't know this) note that a sailboat under power is essentially a powerboat, so follows those rules (although they show it separately).

A couple of excerpts from the Rules of the Road:

This excerpt from Rule 23 (paragraph c) mostly addresses the type of lights you see on small powerboats where there is one all-around white light representing the steaming and stern lights (often mounted on a stalk, aft) and then sidelights forward (emphasis mine):

Vessels less than twelve meters long may display an all-round white light and sidelights. The all-round white light is commonly mounted at the stern on the starboard side, but that location is a carry-over from superseded navigation rules. Under the current Rules, the all-round white light can be placed anywhere, so long as it is on a level at least one meter higher than the sidelights.

And from Annex 1 (international and inland are similar on this):

d) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may carry the uppermost light at a height of less than 2.5 meters above the gunwale. When however, a masthead light is carried in addition to sidelights and a sternlight or the all-round light prescribed in rule 23(c)(i) is carried in addition to sidelights, then such masthead light or all-round light shall be carried at least 1 meter higher than the sidelights.

An illustration showing power driven vessels less than 12 meters in lengt (note that the top vessel is larger, 12-20 meters in length). The rule specifies that the vertical separation is measured when in operating trim (might come into play if one were motor sailing and for some reason had placed the steaming light one meter above the deck; normally though it's placed up closer to the spreaders or thereabouts, so one hopes that would not be an issue!)

Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Rachel and Glenn, It's never easy is it? Neither sailboat shows side mounted Nav lights, however,the Powerboat does. LOL
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well that's just an illustrator idiosyncracy, I think (but yeah, why do that). Boats of less than 20 meters can have a combined sidelight (or a non-combined - allowance of the combined is an "exception" for smaller boats whereas non-combined is the standard), no matter whether they are sail or power.

The sidelights I'm not so fond of are the ones that can be more easily blocked by sails, such as the ones that are mounted farther back on the cabinsides (which I think is the usual builder Triton way?). I prefer the pulpit. A bi-color saves you a bulb/amps, but that may not be an issue with LED lights.

Rule 21, paragraph b:

(b) "Sidelights" means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the sidelights when combined in one lantern shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel. [Inld]

Of course that's not to say it can't be confusing, what will all the paragraphs, annexes, and the like.

Rachel

PS: Here is a handy copy of the Rules, online:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Understood - you have to be in the right mood to read them, or else hair-tearing can ensue.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I have a bi-color on my bow pulpit (the cabin mounted lights are long gone). The wires run up inside the pulpit. It works well, but when I decided to replace the light and wires, it was a nightmare- someone had "sealed" the wires inside the 1" pulpit tubing with something akin to 3M 5200. If you decide to put a light on the bow, please (in the name of future owners) don't cement the wires in place!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I think 5200 is just as evil as silicone.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Agreed. Two of my ports looked like a kindergarten class had been given a tube of silicone...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hulukupu wrote:Agreed. Two of my ports looked like a kindergarten class had been given a tube of silicone...
You have my deepest sympathies.
SayGudday
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Windswept #92
Boat Type: Triton

Post by SayGudday »

I've struggled with this question myself for nearly 2 years but mostly because I have a kayak mounted that obscures one of the nav lights. I've had an extensive series of interactions with the coastguard (not bad, just social mostly) and they have never once commented on my cabin side lights, even though I expected them too. The reason I haven't gone to a twin light on the pulpit yet is because a very old sailor friend made a good point. He said "I want my nav lights as far apart as possible because it makes you look more 'formidable' at night. Not sure I completely buy into this but I do know from sailing at night personally that the further apart the lights, the more breathing room I give the vessel. Having shared that, I can't come up with a better answer than a dual light on the pulpit.