Triton? for sale

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Triton? for sale

Post by okawbow »

deleted
Chuck
Last edited by okawbow on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: Triton? for sale

Post by Carl-A259 »

deleted!
Last edited by Carl-A259 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

From what I understand of the forum guidlines (which are linked above), we aren't supposed to post advertising/links at all here, except for in the Classified section, where we can post our own items for sale (but not links to items owned by others).

I'm not posting this to sound "mean," but just responding since you said you weren't sure (and since I have seen quite a few things posted in the Classifieds that did not look to be owned by the person posting).
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

As one who has purchased several items from these classified (thank you all), I confess that I enjoy seeing the craigslist/ebay postings here. The folks on this board have good taste and usually share postings of interesting boats. The practice certainly hasn't dominated an otherwise rather scant collection of items for sale.
This is just my pile of clam shells.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Personally I think there is no problem with putting up a tasty boat from CL or Ebay in the classified section. Rather see it go to one of us who will love it and keep it safe than some guy going to break it up and sell off bits...

Not sure I understand the rational of banning those postings in the first place. Most forum I go on typically allow it and if someone find some cool bit of stuff that tweaks your interest, but not enough to part with some cash, then throw it out to your buds!!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I was just mentioning the forum guidelines, which are clear that this section is for our own items for sale. I happen to like it that way, but I had nothing to do with making the rules.

Perhaps the new forum owner could establish a new section for links to eBay ads, Craigslist ads, and the like if he thinks it's a good idea?
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

If this forum is no longer run by Tim then it may be fine. Tim himself did not like seeing Craiglist listings, I think.

One problem with Craiglist ads... often, by the time I click on them, they have expired...

Perhaps a category just for links to sales might do? That way, people know that there is a good chance the link won't work.

- Case
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

My take on this is that unless or until Captain K changes the forum guidelines, that the ones currently listed under "Please click here to view the forum rules" would be the ones to go by.

If any of us would like to see changes to any of them (such as making a new forum category for links to things people saw for sale and want to post here), perhaps we can request it of Captain K and see how he feels about it.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Rachel wrote:My take on this is that unless or until Captain K changes the forum guidelines, that the ones currently listed under "Please click here to view the forum rules" would be the ones to go by.

If any of us would like to see changes to any of them (such as making a new forum category for links to things people saw for sale and want to post here), perhaps we can request it of Captain K and see how he feels about it.

I am in favor of a "Stuff I found on the Internet that you might want to buy forum" in the name of being green and recycling!!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Seeing as this has become an opinion thread I will chime in with my thoughts. At this turning point in the evolution of this forum it is probably a good idea for some of these things to be said. The future of this forum will depend on how things evolve, or don't due to the transfer of ownership.

Tim has had a very no tolerance policy regarding several key points in this forum. He refused to allow any of them start down the "slippery slope" Advertising and linking advertising, the use of smiley graphics, the use of leet speak vs. proper writing, nonsense off topic replies vs. thoughtful on topic replies have been some of the key things he has insisted on here. Tim has gone so far in the past as to write posts on how to thoughtfully write posts. He shared his reasoning for being so strict. Administering a forum with these high standards is tedious and time consuming to say the least. But this is why this forum is what it is. I hope this does not change.

Those who like searching craigslist links know how to find them, and probably make a point of doing so regularly. Some people see the need to share these links, I personally see no point. But if this is important to some, and our new forum admin/owner sees this as appropriate, I hope a new section is started for the purpose. This way I can choose to ignore them and use the "mark as read" button without having to sort them out from other areas of the forum. The classified section here was intended as a virtual consignment shop for regular members and nothing more. I hope this stays the same. This Triton section was intended as a place to discuss the specifics of Tritons in general and the details of one's own Triton. It was not intended for classifieds at all. I hope this stays the same. Anyway, this is my $0.02 on the subject.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Dave, thanks for(yet another) very articulate post.

(I know it doesn't pay well, but I am sure you could contribute some fine articles to the boating press)

Sorry I chopped your words up, but it was convenient for me to respond this way:
Hirilondë wrote:... the use of leet speak vs. proper writing...
What is "leet speak" - a typo for "net speak", perhaps?
Just wondering in any case, I get the idea, and I agree.
Hirilondë wrote: I hope this (forum) does not change.
Me, too.
I think the occasionally uptight/self-absorbed tone could relax a bit, but the principles seem valuable and unique to me
Hirilondë wrote:...to share these links...if...our new forum admin/owner sees this as appropriate, I hope a new section is started for the purpose.
I think such a section could be interesting and informative.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I feel about the same way you do, Dave. Over the years many forums have come and gone, and some have become (or always were) more casual, slangy, contentious, sloppy, etc. This forum has been fun, but "serious" and substantial. It is somewhat unique in that way, and I like it. If I want the other type, I can easily find it. (And, in fact, I do sometimes, because variety is the spice of life.)

Leet speak is a sort of computer/hacker slang that (purposely) changes words and suffixes, substitutes other letters, etc. Teh, haxxor, s3v3n, etc. Then there is text-speak - ur, 4, etc. I've always appreciated the tone here, with full sentences and well-reasoned posts. Not that we haven't had fun over the years - because we definitely have, in my opinion.

I do like that the classifieds are for our own personal items, and that sub-forums like "Triton specifics" are for... well... Triton specifics. I hope that if Captain K does decide that we should have things like Craigslist and eBay links here that they get their own sub-forum.

I've read Captain K's Sailfar forum since it was first started, and although it has a different tone and character than this one, I've seen that he is a good moderator, and that the Sailfar forum has remained a "good" group of helpful and supportive people -- without rancor or one-upsmanship. So I think we have a good person at the helm here :)

Rachel
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I posted the original link in the Triton section because the ad was for a 28' Pearson. It was not identified as a Triton. I thought it would be a great buy for someone looking for a Triton to restore or for parts.

I had no idea it would possibly upset anyone. I am always interested in looking at boats for sale, even when not in the market. I suspect a discussion board on boats and related for sale would be popular.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Chuck,

I hope you don't feel like you are being singled out here, as that was not my intention at all. It seems as though quite a few forum members might like to see various Craigslist, eBay, and etc. links here on the forum.

It looks like you deleted your original post in this thread today, but as I remember it you wondered if you were posting it in the right sub-forum. I probably wouldn't have responded at all to the thread if you hadn't "wondered aloud"; but since you did, I figured I would reply.

This forum does happen to be for Triton specifics: I take that as things like mast heights, when they started having hinged cockpit lockers, false keel details, and the like -- so I don't think it's probably the best spot for ad links. But on the other hand, there was no "correct spot," because Tim was not a fan of such links, so he specifically did not provide a spot for them.

With Captain K coming on board it seems like a good time to talk about these things and perhaps re-visit the idea of a sub-forum for ad links, if the members and Captain K feel that it's a good idea.

I tried to word my initial response so that you would not feel offended, yet I could still say something. If I failed at that please accept my apology, and I sure hope you still feel welcome here.

Rachel
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

NOT FOR SALE, FOR FREE: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/2636006113.html TRITON no pics but I have seen pictures boat is very complete.