outboard well design

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
SteveA
Bottom Sanding Grunt

outboard well design

Post by SteveA »

I'm working on a Triton and will be building a outboard well in the lazaret....anybody got any design ideas?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: outboard well design

Post by Hirilondë »

Do a lot of measuring before you even begin. Make sure the outboard will fit. Make sure you can get it in and out. Just because it fits doesn't mean you can get it into there. I know that a 9.9 Honda barely fits into the lazerette of a Renegade, and I bet the space is even more confined in a Triton. Make sure the shaft won't interfere with the rudder. If you want some pictures of mine I will have to take some, but I can.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

SteveA wrote:I'm working on a Triton and will be building a outboard well in the lazaret....anybody got any design ideas?
James Baldwin did this and wrote a good article (with photos)
http://atomvoyages.com/projects/outboard.htm
Cape Dory 10 & 27
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
triton503
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by triton503 »

Hi Steve
James put an outboard well in my triton last season. There are a few finished photos at the following link. Let me know if you have any questions. It's the best of both worlds! I love it.

http://gallery.me.com/charltonmann#100020
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Post by Surveyor »

triton503 wrote:Hi Steve
James put an outboard well in my triton last season. There are a few finished photos at the following link. Let me know if you have any questions. It's the best of both worlds! I love it.

http://gallery.me.com/charltonmann#100020
Wow, what a nicely done conversion! Seeing that has me thinking....
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Triton503:

Can you rotate the tiller up out of the way at anchor, with the engine tilted up?

If you could, a measurement from the tiller head back to the plywood the engine is clamped to would be great!

Looks slick!

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
triton503
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by triton503 »

Hey Zach.
Yes you can lift the tiller up. In my case because of the shape of my tiller it has to be assisted with a simple line tied to the tiller and then lashed to my backstay. Im going down to the boat this weekend. I'll snap some more photos and get the measurements.
Standby.
triton503
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by triton503 »

Hey Zach, sorry I havent uploaded the data you requested. I had everything measured and photo taken last weekend but unfortunately my iphone met the atlantic ocean that same day with all the info and photos on it.

this week james baldwin updated his website with more info on the project. check it out here:
http://atomvoyages.com/projects/TritonSalty.htm

I will remeasure this weekend, hopefully with better success.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

I take it from James' pictures that a raised "house" has to be added to the lazerette on a Triton to provide enough room for the outboard? I know the tolerances on my Renegade were close, but it didn't need any added room.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hirilondë wrote:I take it from James' pictures that a raised "house" has to be added to the lazerette on a Triton to provide enough room for the outboard? I know the tolerances on my Renegade were close, but it didn't need any added room.
I was thinking about that same thing when looking at the photos. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the need for a raised "house" might be a result of the owner's desire to be able to tilt the motor up (that would make it go "diagonal" and need more headroom, I believe).

Here is a photo of an outboard installation on another Triton, "Pajaro." It does not tilt and it does not look like a raised "house" was necessary (at least from what I can tell).

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Yeah Rachel, that may very well be the reason. I often wish I could tilt my outboard. Not only to remove the prop and shaft to reduce drag, but to eliminate growth and help resist corrosion caused by leaving it in the water all the time. I just could not bear the thought of cutting into my transom.
Damned again because it's all related.
I heard that some where.
Dave Finnegan
triton503
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by triton503 »

You guys are correct. The house is built so I can tilt the motor up when sailing, along with the added benefit of no bottom growth. The lid for the house also makes for a great helm seat. I'm not sure it was necessarily intentional but turns out its the best seat in the house. I went out again this weekend using it, and I highly recommend this configuration.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Bummer about the phone!

Thanks for the measurements (twice...)

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/