Triton 234....I think

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: undecided
Boat Type: Pearson Triton EC #234

Triton 234....I think

Post by JohnD »

Hello everyone. First off, let me say thank you to everyone involved in this site. It is a treasure trove of information and ideas I have been looking through for information and inspiration.

I recently acquired my first sail boat from a friend of mine. She is a 1962 (he thinks) Triton. I searched everywhere for a number and the other day while ripping out the galley I came across the number 234 gouged into a shelf. Anyone know if this is correct?

The plan is to redo and update the interior without changing too much from the original design, but we'll see how that goes. Along that line, I was wondering what advice people who have redone Tritons could give. What did you change you couldn't love without? What did you not do that you wish you had?

I will be doing mostly day sailing in the Chesapeake, with a few weekend length trips for the next couple of years. Someday she may go further, but that will be a while.

I can't seem to post a picture directly from work, so for anyone interested here is a link. Enjoy.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KN ... directlink
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: undecided
Boat Type: Pearson Triton EC #234

Re: Triton 234....I think

Post by JohnD »

OK, I think I got confirmation on the hull number. I ripped out the icebox today and came across another piece of wood with the 234 scratched into it. Speaking of iceboxes...is there any reason when people build a new one they don't do it just starboard of where the sink is? It seems like loosing the drawers would be offset pretty well by having the whole wide open area on the port side.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You'll find there's very little room in there once you start thinking about the thickness of insulation and so forth. 2-4" of insulation all the way 'round eats up huge amounts of space, so you might find you'd no room for a usable icebox in the space available.

If you can make something work that meets your needs in that space, there's no reason not to choose that location. There are as many ways to reconfigure (fully or partly) a Triton interior as there are Triton owners.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

JohnD,
Congratulations and welcome. I found what I took to be the hull number (188) etched on to the bottoms of several pieces of plywood that made up the cabin cabinetry of my Triton.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Welcome John. You will certainly find a wealth of info here, both general and Triton specific.

My Renegade ice box is exactly where you mention, and I love the location. But a Renegade is a more full body hull and it is therefore very large. I am willing to compromise a lot of things, but when cruising I find a large ice box to be one thing I would never sacrifice. And if I were building a new one I would not skimp on insulation either.

The freedom to carry a quantity of tasty food and cold drinks for days without getting ice is really high on my list of priorities when cruising!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Post by carterskemp »

for what it is worth, my triton #345 is from 1962.