Triton hinged cockpit lockers redux

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Triton hinged cockpit lockers redux

Post by tikvah59 »

The recent thread on top-opening cockpit lockers motivated me to ask about a possible future project. My Triton has the side-opening cockpit lockers AND top-opening hatches made of a Starboard-like plastic material. A couple years ago a guy in New Hampshire decided to part out and cut up his Triton (hull #407). As sad as that was, I contacted him and asked if I could purchase the cockpit lockers if he hadn't already tossed them. He gave them to me.

At some point I'd like to replace the plastic locker covers and cover the side openings. I have two reservations about installing the hinged cockpit locker covers/openings:

1. In an earlier thread elsewhere on this forum, several posters express dissatisfaction with the pitch of the drainage gutters around the standard Triton cockpit hatch openings. Anyone want to share their thoughts about how the cockpit hatch gutters could be improved?

2. I have to do some measuring, but I'm pretty sure that the 25 gallon monel gas tank won't fit through the standard cockpit hatch opening. It also can't come forward through the galley area because there is a structural bulkhead across the width of the boat under the bridge deck. I don't want to have to cut the bulkhead or cockpit settee to get the tank out. Any ideas how I could install the hinged cockpit covers but still be able to remove the gas tank?

Larger pics at http://tikvah59.wordpress.com/2010/10/0 ... e-project/

Thanks,

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Re: Triton hinged cockpit lockers redux

Post by jhenson »

Mark,

When I owned my Triton, I fabricated molded gutters and locker lids to convert from side to top opening lockers. There are a few threads on that, and Figment's boat as well, that I’m sure you will recall. It was quite a bit of work, but very gratifying to do. I don’t think you have nearly that much work. You could change the pitch of the replacement gutters fairly easily, I think. By the way, the gutters on my current boat (1969 Tartan 34c) slope from about 1” to 4” at the exit and drained well when the boat was exposed to the weather before I had her under shelter.

With the replacement gutters off the boat, it seems like you could carefully cut the bottom ½ of the athwart ship gutter sections off. Some form of foam or wooden molds, the thickness milled to width of the insides of the gutters would be affixed to the gutters. The molds could be ½ round at the bottom to match the desired profile of the new gutter bottoms. After flipping them upside down, you should have an easy time of laminating new rounded gutter bottoms. Drill a new outlet hole and plug the old, and you should be good to go.

I had the same tank as I you do, and it was permanently removed through the galley. However, I think you could easily enlarge the old starboard side opening to get the tank out. You will need to make a mold from plywood along that side of the foot well anyway when you support the new gutter assemblies, and it won’t take much more material or time to close in the enlarged hole from removing the tank. Furthermore, I can’t see how you could easily attach all the tape around the perimeter of the new gutter section with that tank in the way.

I remember being amazed at the difference in the boat after cutting away the seats for the new gutter assemblies.

Good luck!

I can find some pictures of the process on my old boat, if need be.

Joe
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I realize it would be shocking if two Tritons varied in construction ;) but here is a link to how #577's owner moved his fuel tank forward. He slightly modified the ring frame/bulkhead/support. He gained locker space and lost harder-to-access under-galley space.

Maybe you could do this, and/or use a part of his technique to bring the tank out/in through the galley.

http://tritonclass.org/mir/577fueltank.html

There are a few more photos at the link.

Rachel
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Your structural bulkhead should have an inset piece that is screwed in place, rather than being one solid bulkhead. From here and an empty fuel tank, you can slide it forward and out through the galley.... with a bit of cursing. You need a person in the cockpit locker, and one on the galley side to get the fuel tank over the lip of the bulkhead. I had to remove the cleats that hold the inset panel in place, but stood sideways there was enough room. As with all tritons, your mileage may vary... grin.

My two cents is to ditch the monel tank (mine was galvanized steel by the way...) and go for something smaller unless you plan to run that motor a whole lot!

I am plotting a vented locker in the lazarette for a portable outboard style tank. No reason with a sealed bulkhead fitting headed to the bilge and coast guard hose down to the fuel pump wouldn't work on an inboard engine.

The stock triton size fuel tank was nice coming down the intercoastal, but I've seldom sailed out of anywhere that it makes sense to have 20-25 gallons of gas to go stale over the season. 5 gallon tank, and a 5 gallon gas can you can bring from home, and a tank you can take home and burn in the car for winterizing means no more gummed up carbs. If you are diesel... just shake out the crud.

My two cents anyway, I'd clear out the cockpit locker and move the lunch hook out of the lazarette and into the starboard locker. Grin.

The lever arm works out pretty close to a full 5 gallon tank 15 feet away from the center of gravity = 600 ftlbs
A 20 gallon tank 10 feet away = 1,600 ftlbs

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

Thank you all for the detailed input! I now have an idea of how I can modify the pitch of the gutters on the top-opening lockers. I may see if I can get the port side fitted over the winter and finish it when the weather warms enough for the epoxy to set.

I don't think I was very clear about the gas tank situation. It is currently installed and I can remove it through the current opening in the top of the cockpit locker, after I remove the plastic locker covers. The bulkhead aft of the galley and forward of the cockpit lockers was installed when the PO had the boat. It looks like 1/2" or so ply (covered w/epoxy) running completely athwartship with no opening except a few inches at the top on either side. It provides additional support the bridge deck and by extension the cockpit sole. I know, a picture or two would help here!

The advice to downsize the tank is valid, however since I put some work into the tank a while back I'm reluctant to ditch it. Had it steam cleaned, pressure tested and installed an access port and a gas gauge. Oh, and to make matters more interesting I have a fuel pump, water separator and raw water filter attached to the aft side of that athwartship bulkhead, just forward of the gas tank!

Sounds like the path of least resistance (which is attractive given the long list of other to do's) would be to leave the tank as is, install the top-opening lid after modifying the gutters, and plan to cut a hole in the bulkhead should I need to remove the tank. I'll just have to be sure the tank can actually get by the forward gutter (I have my doubts).

I'll follow up with a few pix next time I'm down to the boat so it's easier to see what I'm working with.

Thanks again for your thoughts, folks! It really helps to have the collective brain trust of this forum (such as it is!) working on this problem.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl