Introductions

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Triton 670
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Plan B
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Introductions

Post by Triton 670 »

Hello everyone, new member here. I've been enjoying this forum for a while and finally got around to joining up. I wanted to introduce me and my boat.

My fiancee and I bought Triton #670 last spring. We sailed her all summer and brought her from Norfolk up to the north end of Chesapeake Bay. I've been getting heavy into the renovations this fall and winter.

She is currently named "Plan B" because the previous owner moved aboard after losing his Vertue Class sloop on a BVI reef. He was the saltiest of old salts and stripped her of all electronics and gadgetry...used oil lamps, bucket for a toilet, sextant navigation, etc.

My main projects are:
Repaint exterior-including filling as many old hardware holes as possible
Install head and holding tank
Install freshwater tank w/footpump

My pictures are all way to big to upload here, so I am linking to a picasa album. The pictures in the slip are the condition as purchased.

http://picasaweb.google.com/timressler

Nice to meet you all.

Tim
"Plan B"
Triton 670
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Introductions

Post by earlylight »

Tim,
Congrats on your new boat. It looks like you have jumped right in and are making good progress. As you have probably noticed, the gang here loves photos of projects, repairs and upgrades. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your labor of love.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove

Post by triton318 »

It looks like all your exterior wood is painted brown. When I bought my Triton, all of the exterior wood was painted the same color. Good luck with your restoration. The owner of this forum restored a Triton and his site can be a great resource: http://www.triton381.com/.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Tim. At some point down a thread I'd enjoy hearing about how well your inflatable rides on the cabin and how you find the performance of the outboard engine.
My FW foot pump was installed under the sink opposite the head and works very well in that location.
David
Triton 670
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Plan B

Post by Triton 670 »

To the last two replies:

Yes, most of the the exterior wood was painted red by the previous owner. I haven't stripped the cockpit comings yet, but when I took the paint off the toerails, the wood (mahogany?) was in really bad shape...cracked in many places and rotting in some. Also, we had been having (a lot of) leaks from the toerail screws all last season. So, not being a carpenter, I decided to glass over the rails with a couple layers and then paint when I repaint the deck, hopefully in April.

This strategy may get me some dirty looks, but I would really rather go sailing with dry lockers this season than attempt to replace the original wood. I will have some pictures of the results within a few weeks.

Honestly the dinghy on the cabintop was a pain. It obstructed the view and made it hard to open the sliding hatch. I don't know how much speed we'd lose with the dinghy in tow, but it would have been a lot nicer on deck without it up there.

We have a 8HP 2-stroke Nissan on the bracket. It worked great last season, reliable with minimal maintenance. The only trouble was when the seas built a bit, the prop got lifted out with each swell. We found it much easier to sail in those conditions since there was plenty of wind. I haven't owned a small boat with an inboard, but I have to think it would be a nasty thing to have in such a small cabin. It was a fun challenge to try to sail on and off of our mooring without turning the motor on and we felt pretty good the few times we actually pulled it off.

Hoping to finish up with the glass work this weekend, but I'm not so sure the weather will cooperate.

Tim