Appropriate and recommended size for running gear

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Command_1
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Appropriate and recommended size for running gear

Post by Command_1 »

Input please.
Replacing all running gear/lines on my Triton for cruising.
I have no idea how old my lines are, or can’t even tell for sure what kind it is. The toping lift already failed dropping the boom inches from my wife.
I will not have any cable on the mast just line (can’t stand all the noise)
Any recommendations or input would be appreciated.
Antonio
Nossa Senhora da Conceicao
Pearson Triton 1961 Hull #195 (Formerly Winsome)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Appropriate and recommended size for running gear

Post by Tim »

I use 3/8" Sta-Set for main and spinnaker halyards, and most control lines (mainsheet, reefing lines). My genoa halyard is 3/8" Sta-Set X for slightly less stretch, since the sail's on a furler and less likely to have the halyard adjusted frequently. I use 7/16" Sta-Set for genoa sheets for comfort factors alone--the larger line is easier on the hand than 3/8", which would be adequate strength-wise.

If you want high-tech stuff, there's lots available, but Sta-Set is good, basic line that does the job without breaking the bank. You can actually go smaller diameter with some of the fancy stuff, but it gets too hard on the hands at anything below 3/8". The topping lift is a good place for a smaller, higher-tech, stronger line, if you want something different, and to minimize the size of the line flopping around up there. (I have a rigid vang and don't use a topping lift so can't give my own specification for that particular line.)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating