Triton rail scuppers

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Bill
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Triton rail scuppers

Post by Bill »

I have an east coast Triton. The deck is mounted to an inward turning flange on the hull. Unlike many of the photos of Tritons I have seen on these pages, I don't have a high fiberglass toe rail, but I do have a teak toe rail which I am replacing due to wear.

The mounting of the deck over the hull flange results in a lip about 1/2 inch high around the boat upon which the toe rail is mounted. I would like to put scuppers at the low point of the deck to reduce the amount of water left standing on the deck behind the lip.

My boat is currently on a trailer being renovated, and I am wondering if anyone can tell me approximately where the low point of the rail is located. I am guessing somewhere aft of the cabin top. The boat is not level as it would be in the water and I have lost track of the place that the water used to pool. Or maybe you will tell me that a 1/2 inch dam is not enough to worry about and I should go on to bigger and better things!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Bill
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Re: Triton rail scuppers

Post by bcooke »

What hull number do you have?

The toerail you are describing was standard on the last 50 or so Tritons built.

I don't have a great picture but this kind of gives an idea of the location for my deck scuppers.

...edit... okay, someone changed the parameters for linking photos... I will attach the photo for now and link the photo when I figure out what is going on (in a couple of hours)

I would guess about a foot aft of the cabin is about right on my boat. You can sort of see the forward end of the cockpit in the right hand edge of the photo. There is a corner drain right in the corner that is covered over with shavings.

As with anything Triton, your results may vary. If you could get your boat leveled to verify the low point that would be best.
Attachments
deck_scupper.jpg
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Bill
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Bill »

Britton

Thanks for the reply. Hull number is 708 (near the end of the line as far as I can tell). The photo is helpful. I may try to level the boat, but your pic is about where I thought I would need to put the scupper

Thanks

Bill
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

About the end of the line is right. Your boat was probably the only Triton built in 1967 and only one is known to exist after yours. That final one was custom ordered so you may have the very last production version of a Pearson Triton.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Level the boat first, and then figure out where to put your scupper. Guessing wrong by only a few inches will negate the functionality of the scupper.

Take the time to level the boat and be sure that your placement of the scupper is where it needs to be.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating