winch supports

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

winch supports

Post by Hulukupu »

The winch stands on Mahana are laminated 1-by mahogany and showed their age as we were beating to 25 knot gusts on a Sunday last month. For some reason, the s/s screws holding on the bases are sunk into the seams between the laminated wood and don't appear to have ever been very strong. I replaced one of the bases with a piece of solid mahogany last summer and it did a good job of supporting the stand under strain. I now face a larger winter project redoing all the remaining components of the winch stands.

Do other folks have experience with rebuilding winch stands using solid mahogany?

Alternatively, how well do bronze stands perform?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: winch supports

Post by Tim »

I love my bronze stands. Highly recommended.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Screws into the edge of a laminated component is looking for trouble. If they (the screws) are especially long they can work, but still not the best scenario. Mahoganies hold fasteners well, they are a good choice. I would suggest solid, or go with the bronze stands.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Hulukupu

Post by Hulukupu »

I've decided to try and rebuild my mahogany winch stands. I noticed on ebay today that Triton 227 has stands with a deck supported underlying column of mahogany, whereas mine (hull#188) has a hanging knee attached only to the coaming boards. I've seen the former configuration on other older sailboats and was wondering if this was a design-shift on the part of Tritons in the early 1960s?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

More likely a case of previous owner's butchery.

#78 also has the solid wood "columns".
Hulukupu

Post by Hulukupu »

Yes, thanks, I think I agree. I've been looking at other Triton photos and, if they don't have metal stands, they all appear to have laminated columns of mahogany.