Sail numbers

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
baysailer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Ms.Anne
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #662

Sail numbers

Post by baysailer »

Having recently bought boat #662 and going through sail inventory,I found the main sail had the #423 on it.Having been told that all the sails were the factory sails(given the condition I would agree) and that some time the numbers on the sail and the hull numbers don't match from the factory.Does anybody have any input on this. All the sail bags have Hild Sails Inc,New York on them. I was only curious about it.Thanks baysailer
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Sail numbers

Post by Tim »

It's not at all uncommon for someone at some point in a boat's long history to obtain a sail from a sistership.

Put no stock in the number on your sail. I know just from looking at your boat that she's of the latest Triton production era, with the different deck design and wooden toerails and other features, and cannot be #423. I know you don't really think she is, but sail numbers are really meaningless because sails are so easily transferred from boat to boat.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
baysailer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Ms.Anne
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #662

Post by baysailer »

Tim, the bronze builders plate has hull #662 on it.But really I thought I had read some where in the past that sail numbers and hull numbers sometime didn't match from the factory as some times the sails were produced and didn't end up with the proper boat.But as you said it doesn't matter and of course as old as the boat is, there really is no telling.Just being curious as I have talked with what I believe are the only owners of the boat as to try and write down the history of the boat and where she has been and what has been changed on her over the years(really nothing other than maintance some times).Thanks for the info,baysailer
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, I doubt you have a "factory" mixup of your sails. First of all, that's not common. Secondly, #423 would have been built in 1963, and your #662 in 1966 at the earliest. Even the most disorganized supply chain is unlikely to be off by years. and 250 hull numbers.

There are anecdotal instances of miscellaneous, insignificant parts from different--but nearly sequential--boats ending up on one given boat, such as locker doors or even bulkhead parts, but never over more than a span of a few hull numbers that would have been in production at the same time.

Who knows why you have the "wrong" mainsail, but I'd bet on some long-forgotten purchase or trade.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Interesting... So is it your understanding that under most circumstances the sail numbers of Pearson tritons correspond to the builder’s number?