Triton Mizzen Stay Sail?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Triton Mizzen Stay Sail?

Post by gone2ddogs »

Any Triton yawls using a mizzen stay sail? I'm interested in dimensions fabric, how to use it etc. I have a forward mizzen halyard so I assume a previous owner must have flown one in the past. I see the outline of one in the sail plan for the yawl, but I've never seen one in action before.

Thanks
John R.
Triton Yawl #15 Silver Girl
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... n+staysail

this links to my old boat.

I show the mizzen staysail in flight in some of my films as well, look at warmday

i built the sail from a sailrite kit

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

Hi John,

You probably know that Hal Landen has a mizzen stays'l for #18 Satin Doll. I think you have the link to Hal's site on your blog: http://www.videouniversity.com/sail.shtml.

As Robert mentioned in the post of his old boat, he installed a mizzen mast abaft of where your mast and mine are located. I'm not sure how precise you need to with the measurement of a stays'l, but Robert's sail would probably be a little big for our boats. I attempted to derive the measurements of the stays'l in the sail plan you show above and here's what I got:

25.8' (25' 9") luff, 20' foot, 18.3' (18' 4") leach

I also hope to order a kit from Sailrite one day but first I'd want to make some measurements on my boat and then maybe even mock up a sail out of a tarp or something similar. However, if you do it first, let me know! I also discovered recently that a previous owner installed a mizzen sail with a longer luff so that the boom no longer clears the back stay. While the mizzen sail would be furled when I fly a stays'l, I'd have to think about the boom height when sizing a stays'l.

BTW, hope you're enjoying #15. I sailed on her in Narragansett Bay when Denis had her - the only other Triton yawl I've been on.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl