Approximate volume of main salon

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Approximate volume of main salon

Post by triton318 »

Has anyone ever calculated the interior volume of the main salon of the Triton? I'm trying to figure out how large of a solid fuel heater to install. I was looking at the Sardine (http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm), but I think it might be too much (7,500 to 18,000 BTU). The Dickinson Newport solid fuel is rated at 3,000 to 8,000 BTU.

I'm never going to be doing any cruising in the arctic or antarctic, but my plans do include, for example, Scandinavia in the summer, Argentina, and Japan. So, I think I'll want something.

Thanks. And feel free to make any suggestions, comments, etc. you think might help. I appreciate it.

Jay
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Get the smallest you can find. My little bulkhead mounted solid fuel heater is fine. A small fan to blow the air around helps alot too.

If you carry diesel for the engine I would definitely go with a diesel heater too. Much more consistent heat, much less of a fuel storage issue.

You don't need heat in a Scandinavian summer either. The Gulf Stream takes care of that. Its comparable to sailing in Maine for example. Ditto for Japan and Argentina.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Oh, and I lust after that little Sardine stove too. Its way overkill though.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
triton318
Master Varnisher

Post by triton318 »

Thanks for replies Britton. I've been looking at some weather data for regions where I plan to cruise eventually, and you're right about probably not needing a heater for those areas I mentioned.

I don't have a diesel engine. Cooking will be done using a single-burner, gimbaled kerosene stove. I'm thinking that maybe on the occasions where I need a little heat, I could use a clay flower pot over that, along with a couple of oil lamps. I'll only be heating the main salon--not the v-berth.

I've been looking online, trying to figure out if you can burn kerosene in oil lamps. If you can, then I can use just one fuel for both cooking and cabin lighting. One site actually said you should burn kerosene in oil lamps.
Jay
Hayes, VA
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

Jay,

If you get an Aladdin lamp, it is designed to run on kerosene. It also throws off a little heat. The challenge is finding the place to hang one, since they are kind of tall and you need to leave a certain amount of airspace above them. The company site seems to be down, but if you go here, there's a nice hanging model in brass on the front page. http://www.aladdinkerosenelamps.com/

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

For reference I have a Newport P12000 (propane) rated at 7000-9700 BTU. In Rockland, May/June time frame, it would take the chill off quite quickly but not really get things warmed up for a couple of hours. Once the bulkheads were warm I could turn it down to low and maintain a very comfortable environment onboard. Of course I like things a bit warmer then most of you Mainers so take that into consideration. :)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

triton318
Master Varnisher

Post by triton318 »

tikvah59 wrote:If you get an Aladdin lamp, it is designed to run on kerosene. It also throws off a little heat.
Mark, I've looked at the Aladdin mantle lamps before. I think a clay pot over the stove, an Aladdin kerosene mantle lamp and another oil lamp probably would be enough. I just keep going back and forth though--I would hate to do this rebuild of the starboard side without adding a small cabin heater and then find out later that I need one. Maybe I could design and build in the space for one, but just hold off on installing a heater. I can use the space for storage and counterspace. Then later, if I discover I need a small cabin heater, I'll already have the space in which to install it.
Jay
Hayes, VA
triton318
Master Varnisher

Post by triton318 »

Allen,

I see you're in (or were recently in) St. Michaels. Are you working your way down the Bay? If you are, and think you'll be in Mobjack Bay or the York River, let me know!
Jay
Hayes, VA
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

Jay,

I'm still in St. Mike's thanks to this gale. I just took a quick look in the cruising guide and Mobjack Bay is a possibility. The distance between ports gets a bit more strung out the farther south I go, at least between Tilghman Island and the Potomac River so I'm looking for places to pull in. I'll check it out on the charts and let you know, but If I can include it I will and I'll let you know when, although any "when" s a ballpark figure. :)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position