Glassed Over Keel Bolts/Nuts in the Bilge

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Glassed Over Keel Bolts/Nuts in the Bilge

Post by triton318 »

I have Triton #318 and it has external ballast. When I first looked at the boat, I thought it had internal ballast because I did not see any keel bolt heads/nuts in the bilge. Later, I realized that the little "mounds" in the bilge were the keel bolt heads/nuts and that they had been glassed over. I'm not sure if they have fiberglass cloth/mat and resin over them or if it's just resin.

In any case, the keel bolts/nuts are inaccessible and hidden. I've begun to worry if this could cause a problem. Does anyone know if the boats came this way from the factory? If not, what possible problems could this pose? Is there anything I should be looking for when I haul the boat out to paint the bottom?

Thanks for any help/suggestions/thoughts you can provide.

Jay
Dove, Triton #318
Hayes, VA
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Be happy, don't worry

Post by jollyboat »

Jay,

I had this same set up on #346 and never had any trouble nor have I heard of the keelbolts being an issue with not only Tritons but with other boats of the same vintage made by Pearson. Unlike fin keels, the modified full keel balast incorporated into the design and build of the Triton was a permanent installation in the case of both installations, internal and external. As our fleets get older it appears that the main cause of boat death is neglect and not the balast falling off. In the threads on the forum there are several discussions about the 'false keel' the various symptoms and repair but ultimately all very approachable.
I am sure that your question will get a lot of attention and certainly nothing that I have mentioned should be taken as gossple, but honestly - I doubt that you have much to be concerned about in the area of your boats ballast or keelbolts. Good Sailing
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Please also see the responses in the other thread with the identical question.

Link: The Other Thread

I'd prefer that you avoid posting the same question in more than one topic on this forum. It leads to the potential for some of the responses to be missed by those reading the topic in the future.

If you're not sure where a question should best be posted, just pick one topic and go with that; on occasion I move postings when I feel they're better served elsewhere, but I'm not real picky about how well a posting fits into a particular topic heading.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove

Post by triton318 »

Tim, thanks for the reply in the other forum, and I'll keep from posting the same question in more than one forum in the future--I just wanted to make sure it got read!
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Jay,

You may already know this, but I'm betting that many of the board's regular readers use the "new posts since last visit" function, which means all new posts show up on the screen for you to see, and then you can choose which ones to read. I find it really handy.

What you do is log in (due to something weird about the software, you can't use this if you stay logged in forever; you need to log in each time you visit the site), then look over on the right-hand side of the screen at the top of the grey panel. You'll see a "hot" line that says "view new posts since last visit." Click on this and you'll get a list of results.

If you then click on the title of a post, it will take you to the beginning of the thread; but, on the other hand, if you click on the brown square just to the left of the title, you'll be taken to just the point in the thread where the newest post since you were last here starts.

Rachel