My Triton is bigger than your Triton...

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

My Triton is bigger than your Triton...

Post by bcooke »

Copied off that highly reputable and accurate internet encyclopedia, "Wikipedia".
Alberg wrote me the following: "Starting with boat #385, Pearson put the lead keel inside the hull, which of course made the keel almost two inches thicker and about one inch deeper. ..." The Mark II plan also differs from the original lines in that Mr. Alberg "straightened the upper part of the stem line, increasing the overall length by two inches, from 28 feet 4 inches to 28 feet 6 inches; lengthened the aft end of the LWL two inches by making a slight change in the profile of the lower part of the stern overhang; and gave the rudder a more modern shape."
And then it goes on to say...
Her sections show fairly firm bilges, and this feature, together with a 44 percent ballast-to-displacement ratio, enables her to carry her sail well in a breeze.
Not so sure about that. Maybe I don't know what "carrying well" really means.

Just a big more trivia to throw around.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Everything you read online is true.

Really: I read it online somewhere.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

good grief

Post by jollyboat »

Oh no, Not from you too Britton. The Triton does carry itself well in a breeze, wonderfully well. I guess we need to have a gathering and conduct sailing seminars. 466 has the standard rudder - maybe these changes were in drawn form only? Except for the depth of the bilges on 466 I cannot see much difference between it and 346.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Oh, I wasn't thinking of weather helm. My Triton is quite respectful in that regard and I never could figure out what everyone else is talking about.

I was just thinking that at 15kts and full sails I am over canvassed. When I hear someone say it carries sail well because of a high ballast/displacement ratio I assume that means it stands upright with full sails and lots of wind. That my boat doesn't do so well...

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Well that sounds about right. Tritons are fairly tender and quickly heel to about ten degrees or so. After that they firm up pretty well. I too experience a little weather helm but that can be expected. Sails are a large consideration on all sailboats but the Triton and boats like her are especially prone to exagerated behavior if the sails are blown out (max draft moving aft on the cord-sail with big full shape, difficult to sail to weather) and essentially too powerful. Of course weight plays into this as well, including where weight is stored in the boat and weight of the rig with sails up.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Allen

Post by Allen »

Tim wrote:Everything you read online is true.

Really: I read it online somewhere.
"I read it on the Internet so it must be true!"
Jimmy Buffett

Regarding the Triton's sailing characteristics, what I was told, and by a number of people, was to reef at about 15 knots of breeze and you are good to go until you probably shouldn't be out there any more.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position