EC Triton Taffrail Scuppers

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

EC Triton Taffrail Scuppers

Post by jhenson »

I'm trying to finish up some deck modifications this month prior to the final fairing of the decks for painting this fall when the temperature drops again.

One thing I am considering is filling in the two scuppers on the taffrail and setting up some other drain lines to accommodate the water running aft along the toerails. Maybe this is a bad idea, but I have noticed that Pearson did not design these open style scuppers on the Alberg 35 (though I don't know how the decks are drained on the A35).

The plan is to fair the outside of the toerail with the hull around the entire boat in preparation for an A35 type caprail. I other words, the toerail will no longer be at an angle to the topsides, and will be flat on top.

What would be the ideal location for these aft drains? How big should they be? Were should the drain outlets terminate (i.e.: cockpit, counter, transom, etc). Is this a bad idea?

Joe
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Interesting thought, Joe.
Except for when hosing-off the decks, these "scuppers" never see any water. The side deck drains are the low point.
I suppose there's some merit to the idea that there should be an "overflow" of some kind, but I think having the water run over the toerail in the event of a plugged drain is fine.
I say go ahead and do away with them.

Or maybe I'm just bitter about all the time I spent fussing over them after my recore. ;)
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

I wish I had those transom scuppers on my west coast hull. My boat came stock with only one scupper per side, just at the primary winch. I added some drains and scuppers (term?)to the midships area and in the transom. I led my transom drains into my small bilge pump (5/8") discharge under the counter. I raised a loop of the bilge pump hose to avoid any water into the bilge from the deck. works ok.
I get a lot of water on the side decks and really like the extra drainage when sailing. Waves sweep along and pile up at the transom. A clear passage off the deck would be nice. I think some west coast hulls have transom cutouts but I do not know for sure. The stock set up was just fine for rain.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Or maybe I'm just bitter about all the time I spent fussing over them after my recore. ;)
Yeah! Mine are a real mess of flaking gelcoat and pinholes that let water pass into the bilge. Of course, no sander will fit in that gap. My finger tips ache just thinking about it.

Joe
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I wouldn't be without those scuppers at the taffrail. I find them very handy.

No, they don't routinely let water out, as Figment mentioned, since the low point is forward of that. For washdowns, they are invaluable; a dead end is just that when trying to push out dirty or soapy water. I like the taffrail scuppers for this.

But where they really shine in my opinion is when one needs to sluice down the sidedecks after weighing anchor from the mud. You can sluice the gunk right off the transom and keep it away from the finicky deck scuppers. Without those transom openings, it would be a real mess. It's bad enough as it is.

I don't think they're the end-all, but I wanted to add an opion in defense of keeping them. Your fingers are going to ache plenty from everything else, and sanding those scuppers are the least of the worries!

If you close off the openings and install drains, I'd put large drains right at the transom corners and run the hoses to the counter. But frankly, this seems like excess complication (and interference with the valuable storage space in the lazarette) when there's a simple and pre-existing means of accomplishing the same thing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Ok... good deal...

It came off as though I was balking at thought of repairing these things. Actually, the primary motivation is one of aesthetics, and achieving the look I?m going for with the rail modifications.

Without any sailing experience on a Triton, it's great to get these valuable inputs before going forward.

Thanks,

Joe
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

A35 has deck scuppers just ahead of the genoa winches. They drain through molded in tubes to just below the water line.

The A35 has a bulwark about 6 inches high around the entire gunnel ( a bit less in the stern).

So she could hold a bunch of water up there!!

Never had an issue, but haven't sailed her in truly heavy weather yet either.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Ric,

Thanks for the info.

I noticed a couple of Alberg 35's on Yachtworld have what appear to be drains where the Triton scuppers are located, but they don't look very big.

Do you have an idea of how thick the cap rails are? Also, I realize from photos that the width of the rail varies along the length of the boat, but do you have any idea of the approximate width at the narrowest point?

If you have any pictures of the top of the rail at the scarf joints and at the aft corners were the side rails join the taffrail, that would be great to see.

I hope to get my eyebrow moldings and rails to look something like this A 35.

Thanks,

Joe