The Strange Case of the Clogging RW system...

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

The Strange Case of the Clogging RW system...

Post by bcooke »

I had been asked to send a picture of my engine raw water system showing how with a simple switch of a valve I can draw from either the ocean or a bucket.

When I took the pictures I realized it might be beneficial to pass on some somewhat trivial info on the Triton RW system as first set up on my boat.

First, here is a picture of my RW system drawing from outside. Please excuse the dust. I was grinding about a foot away from this location earlier that day.

And with a throw of the valve, the hose that normally lies in the bilge can be brought out to draw from a bucket or whatever. You could even use the engine pump as a bilge pump but I would only consider it as a last resort as you might suck up some bilge grunge and harm the engine. Even in an emergency the engine would only draw about 5 gallons in a minute and you might not want to risk losing the engine at that time.

Now for the background before the real mystery. My boat, and I think all Tritons, normally draw raw water from a position slightly aft of the engine near the starboard cockpit drain tube. I had a very suspect ball valve and thru-hull in the original location so I thought I would install a proper seacock and position it forward where it would be more convenient since I have a freshwater cooling system. The current placement is just forward of the original sink drain (removed).

The mystery: For some unknown reason, perhaps a weird quirk in Alberg hydrodynamics, perhaps not, my RW filter would clog with seaweed after about four hours of engine use. Sometimes it happened in two, sometimes in eight but I had to regularly check the strainer. When I forgot, I would be reminded by climbing coolant temps. This was consistent for my entire 2.5 month cruise.

I first found this problem when cruising together with Tim and Nathan (both Tritons) and neither of them experienced a problem so I don't think I was just motoring through exceptionally weedy areas. I am not sure where they have their intakes.

Anyway, be warned. For some reason, drawing water from the pictured location might prove a problem with your Triton. This summer I am moving the RW seacock into the deep section of the bilge.

While I am critiquing my system. The 90 degree elbow off the seacock managed to get blocked once which took some effort to clear. Next time I would go with a straight tailpiece. I also used common rubber hose for the suction side but the pump created more suction than I thought and the hose would start to collapse when the strainer was over half full.

Just some trivia to chew over.

-Britton
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

First impression: Jeez, I gotta move my batteries. That companionway step (erstwhile battery box) area really makes much more sense as a valve and filter center. Nice move, Britton.

After this coming season, I'll be able to contribute some new info to the data set. My intake is in the original location, but I'll now be going without the intake grate.
Figment

Post by Figment »

oh, and what the heck is that boxy thing aft of your fuel pump?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Yeah, I love my service center. When I mount the new gas tank under the cockpit it will make more sense to move the pump and filter inline between the tank and the carburetor. I think. I am not sure yet.

That boxy thing is the coolant overflow. The installation when I got the boat just had the overflow dumping into the bilge. The surveyor scowled over that one so I got a cheap coolant tank from AutoZone.

-Britton
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Britton, first off, thanks for the pics.

Now for the dumb questions:
1. Only 2 positions for your handle? Drawing from the outside and drawing from the other hose, or effectively "off" when you leave the boat?
2. The black handle to the left in the first picture has nothing to do with this topic, correct?
3. Is that a "normal" seacock with a "y" valve attached to it? It may just be the picture, but it looks as though it's mounted to that white board? It goes through the hull there, right?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

No such thing as dumb. I wasn't sure if we are both talking Tritons or not so I didn't explain the surrounding structure.

Second question first: This is a top down view. The black handle to the left is the 3/4" seacock with a 90 degree tailpiece mounted to the hull. A hose coming off the tailpiece (to the right) goes through that piece of plywood that defines the engine area. That hose then mates with the Groco bronze T-valve. It is a bit murky because the Groco valve is mounted to a piece of oak that is just glued in. Cheap and dirty and it was only intended to last the season before I built a proper mount for the valve. What makes it a bit more confusing is that there is a loose fuel hose running right next to the Groco valve. Off the 'T' part of the Groco valve (running "up" in the photo) is the hose that runs to the strainer and then to the engine driven pump. The remaining end of the Groco valve has a 90 degree hose fitting that connects to my free hose which normally resides in the bilge.

I think the third question is covered.

The seacock is the primary means of shutting off the RW intake and is closed when I am away from the boat. I usually leave the T-valve set to draw from the seacock.

So to answer question 1, yes, the valve is a two position valve. It draws from either the left (seacock) or right (loose hose).

Now that I look at the picture again, it does look a bit screwy. It must be the camera angle. Everything lines up pretty well in real life.

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Mike wrote:After this coming season, I'll be able to contribute some new info to the data set. My intake is in the original location, but I'll now be going without the intake grate.
Oh yeah, for those of you who don't remember, there was a discussion about a year and a half ago about using a strainer cap over the RW intake. Some members on the forum said they left them off with no ill effects. With some confidence in these individuals I decided to forego the strainer which undoubtedly contributed to my clogging issue. However, the individuals that went without strainer caps accompanied me on my cruise and had no issues like I did.

I still gave them a piece of my mind though :-)
(not that there was much to give...)

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

For the purposes of this discussion, my engine intake is located in the original location--to starboard and just aft of the rear of the engine. I have a large bronze internal strainer, in which I do find weed from time to time. (Last year, on the same cruise where Britton was experiencing frequent clogs, I didn't have to clean my internal strainer once in 4 weeks--a rarity, but one that perhaps highlights a general lack of weed in the water.)

I have no external strainer. The fitting is 3/4".

The thing I don't like about external strainers is that if (when?) they clog, you have no choice but to go over the side to unclog it. Perhaps they prevent clogging in the first place, but I don't really think so. Inconvenient as it always is, at least without the strainer the clogging issue can be dealt with from inside the boat.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment

Post by Figment »

(DREDGE!!)

I let the cockpit drain hoses tell me where they wanted the seacocks to be, and of course one wants to be exactly where the engine intake currently resides.

In the time since this issue was last discussed, have any other thoughts developed on the relationship between the intake's location and the tendency to pick up debris?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I don't think so.

Just don't copy my installation. Either I am very unlucky or the hydrodynamics at that spot create a vacuum for debris.

When I get around to it I am going to put the intake down lower in the bilge (since I have the deep bilged Triton). That should get the intake below the lrange of floating debris.

Or maybe you should copy my installation so I will know if it is just me or not.

I would appreciate it!

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Figment

Post by Figment »

I don't have the deep bilge, but I think I can get the seacock to happen where you have your strainer in the pic above. I agree that having the intake farther inboard should better avoid the debris.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Followup: After a full season with the un-screened intake in the new location, probably 15-20 hours of motoring, there was but a single blade of grass in my strainer.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Tim wrote:The thing I don't like about external strainers is that if (when?) they clog, you have no choice but to go over the side to unclog it.
Pulling the raw water hose off the pump and blowing through it should clear the outside screen.
I have an external protruding-type strainer, as well as a metal basket type inside the bilge. On a recent outing my raw water pump failed to move water when I re-started the engine (I had recently replaced the Yanmar impeller with a Globe Run-Dry impeller), and this is what I did to clear the screen.
It was already clear, as a stream of air bubbles rose to the surface outside the boat.

The problem turned out to be the impeller ... for some reason (too soft?) it would not move water. I replaced it with a stock Yanmar one from the "good used" parts box and haven't looked back.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Figment

Post by Figment »

My new avatar?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I like it :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Is there an echo in here?...

Before I catch any (more) flack, I pressed the submit button only once
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

4 times, bcooke wrote:I like it :-)
Yeah, but do you like it, Britton?