A Question for Triton Sailors

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

A Question for Triton Sailors

Post by Peter »

Assuming one has the right sails, just how well does the Triton sail in light air, and is the fractional rig or the masthead rig better under light conditions?

Thanks!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

She's no speed demon, but I find her satisfying to sail in very light winds (5 knots). The wetted surface is not high when compared to modern, beamy, flat-bottomed boats, and it takes little wind to move her. She has adequate sail area.

Large headsails would be nice, particularly with the fractional rig, and particularly off the wind. But I do fine with a 130% in most conditions, including real light stuff; it's what I have, so I make do. A nice asym or other light downwind sail would be nice to have for these conditions. Someday I might even get around to getting one.

I enjoy ghosting along on the light days (assuming I'm out for a pleasure sail, not trying to get somewhere), and actually think light air sailing is more challenging than heavier winds. Tritons are not pigs under any conditions, but this is not to say that they are perfect either.

I'm not sure how to put it into comparitive terms, but let's say that any ripples on the water mean enough wind for me to go daysailing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I would assume the masthead rig would deliver more power and perhaps helps the weather helm slightly but the fractional rig looks cooler in my opinion.

This was my first season sailing my fractional rigged Triton and I was pleasantly surprised by its light wind ability.

I plan on adding an assymetrical as well but that is so I can have it built with really light sailcloth as much as increasing sail area. If I can get the front sail to fill I will get a couple of knots.

-Britton
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

It's kind of funny, really, but Kaholee sails very well in light airs if everything is setup to her liking. I once sailed right through a cluster of race type boats during a race as if I were the only one who had any wind. Actually this happened more than once. The secret seemed to be in keeping her moving, so once we got going in light air it was kind of a "don't mess with anything" situation, no matter how strange it seemed. I've actually had racers aboard during races who were amazed at how well she moved in light air.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

#218 is fair in light air. I think she really needs about 5 knots of breeze though before she really starts moving. Given the weight and design of the Triton it was definitely better than I expected.

I have a masthead rig on mine. I suppose that may help, though I think I would prefer a fractional rig if I'd had a choice.

Britton, I still have a fair amount of helm with the masthead rig. Of course, I'm not exactly one of those "reef early, reef often" folks. :)
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Britton, I still have a fair amount of helm with the masthead rig. Of course...

I suppose the difference in jib/genoa area between the rigs really isn't all that much and it would take a finer sailer than me to notice the difference.
...I'm not exactly one of those "reef early, reef often" folks. :)
On an interesting note: I was listening to a copy of a talk E. Pearson gave back in 1977 (He mentions the Tritons as being old even way back then!) and a question came up about heel angle. His opinion was that after about 20 degrees of heel the boat's increased wetted area would actually slow it down. Everett recomended reefing when the heel angle increased above 18-20 degrees in order to sail faster. Again, it would probably take a finer sailer than me to notice...

Back to original question about masthead being better or not, if nothing else a masthead rig can fly a bigger spinnaker so that should help. I don't fly spinnakers so I wouldn't know.

-Britton
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

after about 20 degrees of heel the boat's increased wetted area would actually slow it down.
That's interesting. I would'nt think it be would that significant. Something about waterline length and following waves. I might have been drinking when I read about that. And I'm not much of a hydrodynamicist.

Of course, when you're fighting too much helm and the rudder acts as a water brake, even I know that it really does start to slow the boat down.

That said, we do sail Triton's. If I can sail a straight and mostly level 6 kts or a seat of of the pants, rail in the water, hold onto the winches 5.5 kts, I'll go for the latter. It is rough on the crew though. If I have the girlfriend on board or others that don't share my enthusiasm, I'll either reduce sail or alter course.
I don't fly spinnakers so I wouldn't know.
What! Why not? Some of my most terrifying, I mean memorable moments have occured while flying the chute.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

That whole wetted surface thing was new to me too. I mean, it sounds good in theory but I haven't done the tests to verify it.

As to spinnakers... I would like to try them but 99% of my sailing is single-handed and they sound like too much hassle. I am going to go shopping for a big, light assymetrical before my next cruise. My boat came with two spinnakers which I will probably sell when I get a chance to have them surveyed by a sailmaker. With luck, that should offset the cost of the new assym.

-Britton