Britton's off topic responses

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Britton's off topic responses

Post by bcooke »

Rather than continue to hijack threads, taking them on wild tangents, I thought I would start my personal ramble thread...

I am not seriously considering removing the A4. It is tempting sometimes but it won't go the way of my icebox (as in a sudden flurry of insight and hammer swings). Right now I am balancing several projects in my head and the idea of shortening that list by outright removal of non-essential items (engine?) is tempting but ultimately unwise. I do have a good motor and when I can get to it, it will be a great motor.

As for the icebox, I debate that hanging locker location. I have never heard of anyone using the space like that and at first it seemed strange to locate a "kitchen item" so far away from the "kitchen". Then I realized that it is really only two steps away and for the one or two times per day I would need to access the icebox I thought I could manage. I continue to debate though because I also like the idea of storage and additional counter space which, as all Triton owners know, is somewhat lacking on their boats. Hmm... decisions, decisions. Having the carburetor and fuel pump on the port side of the engine really does lead me to maintain access to that side. An icebox in the port galley space would effectively close that side off. I just "need" a bigger boat...

There is a removable section of bulkhead behind the galley unit on the starboard side and on my boat there is written "#670" quite clearly. Now the builders plaque says #680. So my question is: Did #670 get delayed in production and my boat get some of its parts? Did my boat start production as #670 but was damaged or otherwise delayed and and got pushed back on the assembly line coming out as #680? Did the workers simply get confused? Things that make you go Hmmm....

Speaking of production writing, behind the icebox is written three letters that depending on whether you are rightside up or rightside down spell "...IUS" or "SIN.." (the writing isn't so clear). I was thinking someone was being funny and wrote either "GENIUS" or "SINK". The rest of the word or words were painted over so we will never know the answer. Lots of mysteries when you dig deep into these boats.

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I am generally not a fan of power boats.
I noticed that no one ever discusses power boats on this forum.
Powerboats are expensive, noisy and smelly.

I was walking by a 30 foot almost new fiberglass lobster boat the other day and I was telling someone they should dump their old leaky wooden lobster boat and buy one of these fiberglass boats. With a deck like that one could extend the cabin aft almost to the stern, creating a very nice and very big (by sailboat standards) main saloon. With a boat like that you could make 30 nm in a couple of hours, cruise the intracoastal or wind up narrow twisting river channels. Throttled back the fuel burn wouldn't be so bad. Think of all the electrical power at ones' disposal. One could have refrigerators and microwaves galore. Think of that 8 X 12 foot saloon area with standing headroom over every inch. I bet you could even buy a bare hull from one of these fiberglass lobster boat manufacturers...

Huh? ...What?... Sorry I must have been dreaming. Was I writing in my sleep again?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Powerboats are expensive, noisy and smelly.
Sailboats are expensive...but fortunately not noisy or smelly (at least not because of exhaust, anyway!)

A good Maine lobsterboat is perhaps the most redeeming of all powerboats. They are generally nice to look at, cut through the water with minimal fuss, and are efficient. Some of the so-called "lobster yachts" are losing sight of their heritage, but nonetheless cruising powerboats based on lobster hulls are my favorites, if I had to pick a powerboat.

I do look sort of longingly after some of the very nice working lobsterboats I see. Their singleness of purpose--and excellence at performing that task--demands respect. If I had a use for one of these clean, attractive, open boats, I'd love to have one.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

B's personal ramble thread

Post by Rachel »

Britton,

What a great idea - your own Ramble thread! :-)

But shouldn't you be doing your school-work? ;-)

OTOH, please keep rambling - it's raining to beat the band here, and I'm firmly ensconced in a coffee shop with wireless access; just perfect for reading The Plastic Classic forum. I'm only halfway through the de-moldifying, so I can't leave yet, but it's just too beastly to go out and work.

All rambles appreciated --- R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Well, a lobster yacht's utility might shoehorn in between Glissando and the Lyman. It could get there faster and with less fuss than a sailboat (disregarding that the "fuss" is often the fun part) and the accomodations and comfort would be greater than the Lyman. A perfect addition to any fleet.

I think you are right though in that a lobster yacht can go too far. If I were to go power I think a trawler type cruiser would be better for cruising. They look better all loaded up. They can be too "cutesy" too but to a point I think they look great. A lobster yacht would be a great half-day or weekend boat. Around where I am it could make a quick run around Cape Ann or the 30 mile run to the Isle of Shoals - or parked way up a marsh creek of course.

As for my own thread... heheh... I am taking a certain amount of liberty here but I am also saving others from having to wade through numerous inane responses by moi. At least that was my thought when I started it but I haven't followed through with my conviction. We have all seen forums that become dominated by two or three posters with opinions that no one really cares for and for awhile I was constantly highjacking other threads and bending them to my own purposes. Consider it a priviledge (and obligation) for all Boat Obsession Medalists :-)

Now how about a yankee jib for a Triton. Rigged to the masthead and positioned over and above your normal jib/genoa. Just the thing for light air sailing and looking cool. "Let's fly the yankee" sounds salty too.
Those jumper struts might be a problem though.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

One problem I see with trawler-type cruisers is that customers, over the years, have demanded more power in some ill-advised quest to get there (wherever that may be) quicker. Trawlers should cruise at 8-12 knots, in my humble opinion. I hate these big Grand Banks, which are so ridiculously popular in the northeast, with huge twin diesels in them; few boats make larger and more destructive wakes. A Grand Banks is a heavy, slow, lumbering boat...putting excessive power in their bilges makes them go faster, but they dig huge holes in the water as a result, since the hull design was made for low-powered diesels, like the original Lehman 120s that used to satisfy everyone.

Trawler=slow. If only the people who buy them could accept that. These days, it doesn't seem to be enough.

My own feeling, powerboat-wise, is that you ought to be able to cruise at 15 knots--a nice comfy speed, much faster than sailing, but not so fast that you miss everything around you. Lobster boats fit this requirement perfectly. I admit that being limited to under 10 knots in a powerboat would become frustrating. But I wouldn't compensate by overpowering and pushing the whole ocean in front of me either. A trawler designed to accept higher speeds might have merit; there are some on the market. Grand Banks are not one of them.

There's a Pacific Seacraft trawler here that I sort of like. Sort of mini-Nordhaven in style. I like Nordhavens. I get this magazine called Boat USA/International (formerly Showboats), and I admit that I really like these huge so-called "expedition" yachts, which feature slightly more working-like appearances, often with aft houses and large decks for launching cool stuff like mini-subs, fishing boats, and, in some cases, fully-rigged sailboats. Ah, to be filthy rich.

Now we're really rambling!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

This is my parents' boat-dilemma these days. The 35' Ocean Yachts sportfisherman doesn't really suit them anymore because my mom isn't so good on her feet these days, and the ladder to the flybridge is an iffy proposition. This limits her to the "salon" and cockpit, two absolutely miserable places to be while underway. Also, her limited mobility means she can't manage the side decks to access the foredeck. Watching them pick up a mooring bouy is just painful. He's on the bridge backing down on the bouy with one hand on the ignition switches, she's on the swim platform with the boathook..... disaster waiting to happen.

They need a boat with easy secure walkaround access, and that one person can manage when push comes to shove. A trawler is the thing, but 8knot speeds are kinda hard to sell to a guy who has 35knot-itis. 8knots translates to a 6hour voyage to their most frequented cruising spots. The notion that one doesn't spend those six hours hanging on for dear life and shouting "HUH?" falls on deaf ears.

A friend of theirs recently bought a 40' American Tug. Perfect compromise. High rails and bulwharks all the way around, big mutha engines give 16knot speeds. Oh, but then there's that big mutha price tag to go with it....

Displacement boats should move at displacement speeds. Planing boats should do planing speeds. This whole "semi-displacement" thing that's come along recently is just crap. The fact that it's a very rapidly-growing market is more than a little troubling. Ever read Passagemaker magazine? They've tapped into one gold mine of a niche-market and it shows.

Trawler=Slow. yup. Now if we could only learn that (most of the time) Slow=Good.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

For a sailors power boat....try rosborough RF246.

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/rf246/sedan/246Sedan.htm
Figment

Post by Figment »

That Rosborough is a pretty cool ride. My in-laws had been planning on one for a while as they sell their Island Gypsy 32. but then he went out and bought a Tacoma instead of a Tundra, and the Tacoma can't really tow the Rosborough. Well, it might tow it, but not all the way to florida and back every year. Friggin snowbirds.

Speaking of sailor-designed powerboats, I really like the Legacy boats. I'm trying to steer my parents toward the 34, though I really think that's too much boat for them and the 32 would be a better decision.
He's pushing for the Stamas 37. Ugh.
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

Figment,

I see your blog has taken at turn back to discussion.

Have your parents looked at a Mainship Trawler? They can be had for pretty cheap money and have a good turn of speed to them. Kind of a modern trawler. Here's one...wish I could figure out how to copy pic's

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_b ... =1829&url=

Jim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Oof. Could they put any less warmth and charm into the interior of that Rosborough? My inlaws (well, my father-in-law, at least) has been talking about these things, but this is the first time I've looked at one. Can't say they do anything for me?interior or exterior.

Now this is a sailor's motor yacht: Sabreliner 42

Yes, yes, I know we are talking about totally different types of boats, price points, purposes, etc etc, but at least this interior says comfort, beauty, and class...
Figment

Post by Figment »

YES! The Mainship Pilot 34 Sedan is precisely what they should be looking at, imo. Well, it's still bigger than they should be looking, but when the guy insists on air conditioning, which needs a generator, which needs engine room space, 33 or 34 feet really is the starting point.
Anyway, yes the mainship is under consideration.

He's got this Stamas thing stuck in his head for some reason, though. Personally, I have reservations about buying a 37' diesel inboard boat from a company that does 98% of their business in 23' outboards.
His argument against the Mainship is that his last encounters with them (12 years ago) left him with the opinion that they're "lake boats". All the cleats and chocks are undersized. Everyone else uses 1" welded pipe railing, they use 7/8" screw-fit, etc. I think that this "Pilot" series of boats is a cut above what mainship used to do, but old opinions die hard.

Does mainship still share hull molds with silverton and luhrs? My thumb isn't quite on the pulse of the powerboat world anymore.
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Skip the lobsterboats and trawlers, just get a real ship (that's reported to be a 70 foot sailboat on the deck next to the helicopter):

(from http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/corbetl/Pho ... slands.htm)
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation