Miss you folk

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Miss you folk

Post by Skipper599 »

I just want to say I miss you good people. I've become a little concerned and have been wondering what is happening to this forum? I couldn't possibly have offended everybody with anything I've contributed previously, so what gives? Whereas there used to be lots of chat about so many interesting subjects and things of interest, I notice a distinct lack of people posting about anything at all. It's as cold as a witches tit here now.

I'm sure there are good reasons for this state of affairs such as; Too busy working on the boat, Weather has turned nice and I want to spend time in the sun etc. etc. On the other hand, maybe like me, you simply have not been working on the boat over the winter months. Like any other forum, it only works if one contributes and so, I shall do my best in the near future to post something of interest myself.

The weatyher forecast tells us we shall finally be getting some spring-like wether here in the north-west this coming weekend and so, I'm thinking of taking a long drive down to DesMoines WA to attend a Marine Swap Meet on Saturday. I'm hoping to find a few small items I'm in need of. If I go, i'll take pics of anything I see that may be of interest and post for viewing.

I'll finish by saying "Happy Spring" to everyone and I hope you are progressing with your various projects. - Bob T
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Re: Miss you folk

Post by CharlieJ »

Been kinda wondering the same thing.
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Seems like the views to replies ratio is pretty high on most of the threads. Lots more people reading than participating.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Yes, I noticed that too.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Tallystick wrote:Seems like the views to replies ratio is pretty high on most of the threads. Lots more people reading than participating.
Don't know how it "used to be" but since joining I did notice there are strong opinions here about doing stuff "right" - almost a one-upmanship in that aspect - rather than simply helping fellow sailors fix or maintain their classic boat.

I for one hesitate asking about simple items here in anticipation of hearing that what I suggest or envision doing suddenly seems to be dumb or in violation of a law somewhere.

But that is just my opinion.
Tallystick
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Haha, I almost didn't post the good deal on epoxy I found at ebay for fear of getting flamed for not using West Systems.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

I agree it seems to be a bit slower around here.... although most of the forums that I frequent all do seem to go through phases of less and more activity. Some rebound and some don't.

That said, I have never felt any sense of anyone "looking down their nose" at any of my posts. I come here to get educated opinions and in general that is what I have received. I asked for recommendations for boat haulers last year and entirely through the suggestions of folks on this forum found a hauler that expertly transported my 30' boat from Annapolis to RI at a very reasonable cost.

I actually do have some boat questions that I need some answers for, so I'll go post them now :-)
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Tallystick wrote:Haha, I almost didn't post the good deal on epoxy I found at ebay for fear of getting flamed for not using West Systems.
I haven't used WEST SYS in quite a while. Been using 2-1 epoxies, for the last 5 boats I built.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

OK, I went to Des Moines yesterday. The weather was great although it started off on the cool side at home with a reading of only one degree celsius. As we drove southward on I-5 it dropped even lower to minus 5 celsius however, once we progressed toward Seattle it warmed up by about ten degrees. By noon, it was a balmy fifteen C.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. My wife wasn't keen on making the road trip as she wanted to get started on her vegetable garden but Peter, my good friend and neighbour from across the road had nothing planned for the day and 'though not a sailor of any stripe, he loves rummaging around yard sales and happily agreed to makle the trip.

It is "spring Break" for students in our area, so we planned to cross the border early, avoiding the expected line-up. We were not the only ones to think likewise and, we spent 20 minutes waiting in the line-up, crossing through at exactly 6am. Driving south on I-5, we stopped down the road for a hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, hash-browns, toast orange juice and coffee. All the good stuff my wife will not allow me to eat at home. Sez it's not healthy for me. Bah!

With the stomach fortified, we continued on our way, arriving at Des Moines Yacht Club at about 9:30am, only to find a huge crowd had already invaded the premises. The weather held good, and although situated on the waterfront, the temperature was quite mild with no wind.

There were a large number of stalls, some outside, while others were located in the clubhouse ballroom. Most stalls were set up with a variety of goods relating to the boating world, although it never ceases to amaze me how some folk have stuff totally alien to the boating business. Some stalls were well organised but others left a lot to be desired. I particularly like folk who arrange their items on a table with asking prices displayed.

My biggest beef is reserved for those who don't bother to sort their goods, but throw them all in boxes and set those boxes out on the ground to be rooted through by all. The problem with this method being, some damage occurs in the process to fragile items such as gauges, weather vanes etc. My next beef is pretty much aimed at those same people who do not bother to clean items they offer for sale. On the positive side, those who did have clean, well displayed priced items were doing a roaring trade.

I myself managed to pick up a few items, eg: A brand new, 12v fresh water pump (retails at $300+ - - - asking price $150) purchased for the bargain price of only $100 - - - next was that Rotary Source Selector Switch I discussed in a previous post on this forum. A Blue Seas product - - - brand new and still in it's original sealed packaging (retails at $120+ - - - asking price $75) purchased at another bargain price of only $30. - - - A brand new pair of Wilcox-Crittenden polished aluminum cleats for $12 - - - not because I NEED them, but it was too good a deal to pass up. Also picked up lots of miscellaneous SS clevises, pins, shackles etc. all new and unused, at similar great savings.

Items I did NOT find: Good bumpers, Perko Angled Fuel fills, Fuel Vent Whistles, Mainsheet swivel control, Stand-up blocks and track for inner jib sheets and bottom paint. There were lots of bumpers for sale but, in my opinion, they looked as if someone had just retrieved them from the garbage bin. Certainly NOT what any of you good folk would consider hanging on your boat. There were lots of other good deals if you had a NEED for such things. As well, there was a tremendous amount of fishing gear available of all kinds.

We left the Swap-Meet abouut noon, travelling northward a short distance to Boeing Aircraft's "Paine Field". Here, they have The Museum of Flight, which includes the original Boeing factory in which they built those old wood and fabric planes of yesteryear. Although I've visited this museum a couple of times previously, I always enjoy wandering among these relics of a bygone era. I particularly like their display of WWII fighters and fighter-bombers.

To explain; I was a schoolboy during that period of our history, living in the south of England, just across from Portsmouth Harbour, a large British Naval Base and prime daily target of the enemy. During the period referred to as the "Battle of Britain", there was a almost a daily dislay of aerobatics and arial dog-fights (to the death) between British Spitfires and Hurricanes, vs. German Messherschmitts etc. right over head our home. We had a ring-side seat.

My friend Peter, a born and bred Canadian had no idea I had lived under those wartime conditions and asked a million questions of me. Rather strange in some respects because, I don't normally tell those stories to others, merely because of a lack of understanding this many years later. But the museum has good wartime movie footage that supported the few stories I related to him.

Arrived back at the US/Canadian border at 7pm to find a huge line-up of folks returning from their shopping expeditions to the USA. - we decided to sit it out a while in a restaurant eating another meal. We finally passed through the border at 9:30pm and was home 15 mins later. All said and done, I look upon our trip as a very worthwhile excursion, even it was a 2 hour drive each way.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Post by cdawgs65 »

Been working on the yard and house to get it out of the way so that I will have a clear head and path to the boat and boat work! Then more posts will follow!