New rig for old Mototyacht?!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
mishnish
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Contradanza
Boat Type: Vivacity 20

New rig for old Mototyacht?!

Post by mishnish »

Havent posted in a while but I thought some of you might be interested in a look at this... In my previous employ, I was lucky enough to design and specify a sailing rig for a large motor sailor and a private client in the south of Spain. I was told yesterday that the project was a success, and there are some amazing pictures and a little write up of the old yacht under sail on the rigging contractors website...

http://www.spars.co.uk/columbus.htm
Pretty spectacular if you ask me, but I am biased!

I was pleased to see that I got the basics like the Genoa lead and the sail set more or less right... could have been an expensive mistake otherwise, but lots of bits of the existing structure helped and things fell together surprisingly neatly. 5.3kts in 15kts of wind was also nearly a knot over my predictions, which I admittedly was quite conservative about as above all, with the client spending a small fortune on the rig, it had to perform to his expectations. I also don’t think there are many rigs like this anywhere else in the world – a real head turner, and pretty unique!

Im proud as punch! In a world of commercial pressures and day to day bog standard industrial/commercial boaty stuff its not every day us naval architects get to say we did something you could call beautiful (or at least I think it is!)
http://www.contradanza.co.uk - The restoration of a Vivacity 20, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: New rig for old Mototyacht?!

Post by Chris Campbell »

Very cool - congratulations!

It's great to see someone trying to make their motor yacht a little easier on the planet's dwindling resources, a little quieter, and a lot better looking!
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Re: New rig for old Mototyacht?!

Post by Hulukupu »

I hope the owners see many miles under those sails.
Congratulations.