Nothing like a Bigger Project Boat!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Nothing like a Bigger Project Boat!

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Friends of mine closed today on the purchase of a Bigger Project Boat!

Worthy of note, even if she's Classic Steel and Aluminum.
Picture 001-r.jpg
I've known and sung with Judge (ret.) Thomas Watkins for 20 years. He's chatting with Susan Gibbs, the granddaughter of William Francis Gibbs, the naval architect for a good many ships built from the '20's to the '60's. WFGibbs designed the SS United States, which you can see through glass and mist in the background.
Picture 004-r.jpg
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Re: Nothing like a Bigger Project Boat!

Post by s/v Faith »

I am glad someone bought her (here). I would have hated for her to go to razor blades somewhere.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

. . . Did I miss something here? What vessel are "we" talking of? Surely you didn't mean the SS United States . . . or did you?

And if she was the object of comment, please feel free to tell us more because such information has not reached the PNW as far as I can tell. I recall seeing the vessel on her maiden voyage to Southhampton Waters in southern England many years ago. A very sharp looking vessel. I thought she'd gone to the "breakers yard" years ago and didn't realise she was still around. Where can one read more about her?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Absolutely, Bob, I'm talking about the SS United States. She's been berthed in Philadelphia since about 1996. She's just been bought by the SS United States Conservancy from NCL. The problem is now to find a use for her as a whole, rather than scrap metal. Plenty can be found on line by Googling her.

Or, go to their brand new website: http://www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/

I've been tickled to know some of the characters involved in her saving.

It'll be a long haul. Philadelphia Maritime Museum, for example, owns the USS Olympia, Dewey's ship from 1898. Much smaller vessel. And they're actively considering towing her out to sea and sinking her! For lack of money to maintain her.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Hi and thanks for this Quetzal, . . . Have just clicked the link. She's a proud looking vessel for sure and really beutiful lines. Certainly the picture brings back memories of my younger days. I don't envy those responsible for raising the money for her care. It will be a tough job.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

I am so relieved to hear she is not going to be broken up. I am a retired BC from the Fire Dept. here in Newport News Va. where she was built, and have been aboard her many,many times. She was moored at an old coal pier here for a long time and we would respond to many false alarms late at night.
I watched as most of her interior furnishings were auctioned off to various collectors for little of nothing and I detested it. I also watched as she was towed out of Hampton Roads over to Turkey or Briton ( I don't remember which) and was very sad to see her being towed.
I always liked to walk thru her interior knowing how elegant she once was. A lot of the times were spent going aboard with flashlights while some of the watchmen followed us only to the clock stations and no farther because they thought she was haunted. I was always the last to leave because I would go thru most of the open areas and marvel at her construction.
So now I know that one day (if I live long enought) I can see her again.

Thinking of all the memories of her I am: TOM