Project boats

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Project boats

Post by Skipper599 »

Choosing a sailboat is much like choosing a partner. That said, one must consider all the variables and what is acceptable or available in the market place. On this forum alone, there are many different owners of as many different boats, all of which were acquired for whatever reason seemed more important at the time of purchase.

I'm no different than many of you. I chose my boat because at the time, prices were rising above astronomical and I could see my dream of owning a small 'affordable' cruising boat evaporating rapidly. I believed I was capable of building my own and so, the moment I spied my little dream boat kit (hull & deck assy w/ballast installed) "available" at an affordale price, I jumped right in and bought it.

In the building stage, I think I've done a reasonable job, making her look the way I envisioned she was meant to look. eg: lots of teak, both inside and out. Then of course, there are the numerous items that must be acquired and installed to complete her such as, spars, rigging, sails etc etc. and, as we're all very much aware, these items cost money . . . lots of money.

It comes as no surprise then, that with the current state of the economy the cost of equipping a vessel today has exceeded the value of what can be found in the market place. For instance, I've just finished reading an ad on "Craigslist Vancouver BC." for an Aloha 27 complete with just about everything one could require on board to go cruising.
Check it out it's PostingID: 2187614602 . . . all for the price of $16,500 . . . a fabulous deal for someone who would be happy with this type of boat.

No, it's not MY type of vessel, but it does cause me to pause and consider the wisdom of pouring literally $1000's into my smaller coastal cruiser knowing full well, if I put it on the market today, i could recover probably only about half of what I've put into her. And that doesn't include my 100's of hours of labour. My wife says I should see a shrink! . . . OMG.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Re: Project boats

Post by bigd14 »

Brother, I feel your pain!
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

As with a partner, once "selected" you should not look around anymore... ;-)

Remember the grass is always greener.... I doubt if you started this project as an investment - if you're like me, you probably selected your "path" because you enjoy the journey as much as arriving at the destination. Simply buying a tricked out boat will not give you the satisfaction of what you are doing now.

When I built my Friendship Sloop back in the mid-80's there were several folks that just wondered why anyone would go through all that trouble when there are so many boats out there, already done, ready to sail, for probaly the same amount (or less) that I was "investing" in the one coming together in my garage.

The "plans" for the "Weekender" called for staircase handrail for boom and gaff; I forget what for the mast, and tarp for the sail. Instead, I went out and bought clear fur and fabricated mast, boom, gaff and sprit from that;

bought real Dacron, a bunch of books on "how to", and sewed the sails together... The project took on a life of its own and became the journey.

I sailed that little boat for ten years before my three sons just got too big to take along and then I gave it (could not get to sell her) to some other slob who wanted to get into sailing.

Do you have any pictures of your project? Is there a thread somewhere I have missed?

Don't get discouraged - it's not about the value in $$ - it's about the value in your heart.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Hello Paulus, ... words of wisdom ... yes, we must never lose sight of the original plan.

I was wondering the wisdom of buying that boat on CL, taking off all the gear I've yet to purchase, and then sell the basic boat again. There sure are a load of 'extras' on that boat.

Pictures of my project? ... Yes, I did post some back in March of 2009 under the subject heading "Passage 24 a-building" ... don't know how you locate them today. If you cannot, I'll maybe post some more as I've added some hardware and done a little varnish work since those were taken, as well as having all new rigging made up and mast installed ... although the spar was promptly removed again for winter storage.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Found it... Now I got something to read ;-)

http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... 4+building