34th Americas Cup

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

34th Americas Cup

Post by Triton106 »

To most people, myself included, the Americas Cup is for super wealthy people like Larry Ellison and Ted Turner. I usually do not pay any attention to the event no matter where it is held, except this year when the Cup is coming to San Francisco. What a great venue to host the event! The near guaranteed 15-30 knot wind condition, the fast current, the beautiful hillsides to watch the races... I can't think of a better venue to host the event. Obviously I am biased having lived here for a big part of my life. Here are some pictures of the venue from the 34th Americas Cup website. Hope many of you will have an opportunity to be in the Bay Area for the event.

Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: 34th Americas Cup

Post by Hirilondë »

The fact that it is for the wealthy only has never bothered me. Even campaigning a Mini 6.5 is expensive by my standards. I just don't like that it has become a game of the courts, fights over silly designs, a promo for big business and down right silliness. I think they should go back to J Boats with clean hulls and sails. Sailboats should not be billboards and there are plenty of other races for prototype development.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I have not managed to find time to watch the AC since about 1991, the last of the 12 meters. I too, do not like regattas sailed in courtrooms by rich lawyers.

This is my idea of an appropriate use of SF Bay. This is Flying Dutchman US1, 'Anger Management'.
FD1-r.jpg
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

The last AC series using 12 Meter Class boats was 1987 in Perth, Austrailia.
The last "real" Cup races were maybe 1992 in my opinion (the first time the new America's Cup Class boats were used), after that things just sort-of deteriated to the nonsense of the last few "challenges". Things really got out-of-hand when a "Swiss" team "won" in 2005, I use quotes around Swiss because only the owner of the AC-Class boat that won that year (in New Zealand) was actually from Switzerland! Most of the crew were New Zealanders! BMW-ORACLE was a joke in hte last races......... first I don't like the blatant commerciallization of the racing vessels, but the fact that an "American" entry was carrying the name of a German automaker just feels WRONG. I also think it is a pretty hard stretch to find a Swiss port (or Yacht Club) that is located on an "arm of the Sea" which at least used to be a requirement of the Dead of Gift. I remember the conterversy over the Chicago Yacht Club challenge in 1987, eventually it was determined that due to the St. Lawrence Seaway leading ultimately to the Great lakes....... well, Chicago WAS on an "arm of the Sea".

I say bring back the 12s! My dad says bring back the 1950's and 60's era 12s, but I would be happy just to see boats simialr ot the last 12s (1987) racing! Maybe sail true "One-Design" version of the 12M (like create a "stock" 12 Meter based on the best existing boat?) instead of using a formula that every syndicate exploits to the max?? Also, require that EVERYONE on the boat MUST be from the country where the Yacht Club is located! In other words, if the boat is from an American Yacht Club, every crewmember must be an American, A French Yacht must be crewed by French sailors, A Swiss Yacht must be crewed exclusively by Swiss.
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21